Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Great weekend score at a mall show

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mamunrud

Aug 14, 2008
Dubuque, Iowa
I did a small two day mall card show this past weekend and scored the following. Slaes were slow but there was some great stuff to wheel and deal on:

In a couple of seperate deals I traded away a Kobe Bryant Finest RC Refractor (had nothing into it, left over from a collection) plus two low end Braves autos and a Maddux jerset card, plus $75 cash and got these:

bchr_rc_autos.jpg

Then on Sunday I made a sweet purchase, paid $250 for this pair.

jordan_rookie.jpg

payton_rookie.jpg

The Jordan RC passed all my tests for authenticity. Under magnification you can see the lines/grooves on the basketball on the bottom rear of the card. You can also see the little tiny dots in the orange part of the Fleer banner on the front, plus there's no blurriness of letters in the "Michael Jordan" name on the front. Seller told me he was with the original owner guy back in the 80's when he bought the set for $10 at a show. The card has some small corner issues but for the price I couldn't turn them down.

Last edited:

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
What are your plans with the Jordan and Payton? If I were you, I'd drop them in the mail to George_Calfas for the PSA submission and see what they come back. It will be the best $15 you've spent.

The Payton looks narrow from the scan to my eye, but it's impossible to tell, but if both are good, the Jordan should grade at least a 5-6 I would think and you'll make the money back for sure. I am just skeptical with seemingly "too good to be true" deals like this from a dealer at a show.

Just an opinion.

Mamunrud

Aug 14, 2008
Dubuque, Iowa
What are your plans with the Jordan and Payton? If I were you, I'd drop them in the mail to George_Calfas for the PSA submission and see what they come back. It will be the best $15 you've spent.

The Payton looks narrow from the scan to my eye, but it's impossible to tell, but if both are good, the Jordan should grade at least a 5-6 I would think and you'll make the money back for sure. I am just skeptical with seemingly "too good to be true" deals like this from a dealer at a show.

Just an opinion.

----------

Thanks for the opinion and I understand your concern. I already have someone interested in both the Jordan and the Payton so I may wait a bit before deciding to grade these. This is the fourth Jordan RC I've owned in my 20+ years of doing cards and I've been advised on some of the telltale signs of what to look for. This card passed all my tests so I fell pretty good it's legit, plus the seller had all the rest of the cards from the set too. Another thing that made me comfortable about this one is that the seller was tasked with helping sell the cards after the original owner passed away a few weeks ago. The family was clueless to what he had or how to sell the stuff so the guy I bought the cards from was with them at the show as an advisor friend. Also his story of being with the guy when he bought the set back in the 80's from a show promoter that I knew helped too.

A_Pharis

Wow!

I agree on getting them graded - while your judgement is good on how to spot fakes, seeing them graded adds bidder confidence (if you went the auction route). I see it as a HUGE value-add for such a cheap cost with the group sub.

Mamunrud

Aug 14, 2008
Dubuque, Iowa
Wow!

I agree on getting them graded - while your judgement is good on how to spot fakes, seeing them graded adds bidder confidence (if you went the auction route). I see it as a HUGE value-add for such a cheap cost with the group sub.

---------

For me, it's more a timing thing. After this coming weekend I don't have much going on card-wise until December so maybe sending them in with the group sub would make sense as I could possibly have them back by then. Do you know when the deadline for submissions for the group sub is?

Mamunrud

Aug 14, 2008
Dubuque, Iowa
Grading Update!!! Got my results posted online at Beckett for these and did fairly well. The Jordan RC actually got a BGS 8 and the Payton RC a 7.5, while on the Bowman Chrome RC autos the Bradley and Bauer got 9.5s with a 10 auto. The Starling, Taveras, Bogaerts got 9.0s with a 10 auto and the Profar got 8.5 with a 10 auto. The Jordan RC alone will pay for everything!!!

Mamunrud

Aug 14, 2008
Dubuque, Iowa
Isn't that Jordan highly faked.......Not saying this one is though.

--------
Well, this passed Beckett's inspection and my own tests learned thru 20+ years of dealing cards. As stated before, I had a good idea of what to look for.

Here's the sub-grade breakdown:

Centering - 8.5
Corners - 7.5
Edges - 9.0
Surface - 9.0
Final grade - 8.0

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
--------
Well, this passed Beckett's inspection and my own tests learned thru 20+ years of dealing cards. As stated before, I had a good idea of what to look for.

Here's the sub-grade breakdown:

Centering - 8.5
Corners - 7.5
Edges - 9.0
Surface - 9.0
Final grade - 8.0

Congrats on the grade. I'm sorry if I'm coming off critical, but how did those edges get a 9? Must've had a grader in a good mood that day

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
I used to work at BGS, and this is straight from the manual:

Check 4.5 E:
Edges should be smooth and straight.
Check the left front side first. I fit looks good, grade a "9" and move on.
The rest of the card should be fine.

:cool:

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
I used to work at BGS, and this is straight from the manual:

Check 4.5 E:
Edges should be smooth and straight.
Check the left front side first. I fit looks good, grade a "9" and move on.
The rest of the card should be fine.

:cool:

That's crazy that those chipped edges got a 9. Did someone write Brian Gray on the package or something?

Members online

Latest posts