Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What do you guys think of this idea? Collectorcrate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BenG76

May 15, 2013
Fancy Gap, VA
Going by D&A's box prices and rounding up on per pack prices:

(1) 2013 Topps Mini pack $1.50
(1) 1993 Bowman pack $3
(1) 2007 Upper Deck Future Stars pack $1.50
(1) 2009 Upper Deck Series 2 pack $4 (if it was hobby but I doubt it)
(1) 2014 Topps Series 1 pack $2
(1) 2012 Topps Series 2 pack $1 (I could see this was a 12-card retail pack)
(1) 2008 Donruss Elite Extra Edition pack $4
(1) 2010 Upper Deck Series 1 pack $1 (not in stock at D&A but they were practically giving these away for years)
(1) 2013 Topps MLB Chipz pack $1 (the current product D&A is giving away)
(1) 2014 Topps Chrome pack $3
(1) 2014 Topps Heritage pack $3

That's $25 plus what, $5 for the cheapo auto and GU? So I stand corrected that's about $30 in value in the special preview pack they sent a card blogger for free so he could write nice things about them. Personally I'd rather spend $30 on cards or packs I know I want than packs that somebody picks out for me, I know I have precious little interest in opening half of those packs. But maybe it'd make a nice gift for somebody who doesn't know anything about cards and wants to give something they know is near the value they are spending, so they aren't being ripped off. And it's probably a better deal than those boxes of random packs from Target or Wal-Mart.

Nice to see its not to far off value wise. I will admit if they stay with that kind of pack selection they may not do very good. I got an email that mine has been processed and I got a tracking number. So I have to say the communications is good so far. I hope some real reviews of the other tiers come out as well. I did get the bronze which is the lower tier and it said it contained low to mid-end packs. I have bought several of the repackaged boxes at Walmart and such that contain similar packs that are the retail versions. I am hoping this contains mainly hobby packs which should have better odds of pulling nicer cards.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Pretty good I'd say.

Looks like about $50 value (counting the SEALED packs) from your box.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
This. 100s of mystery boxes/packs/packages out there. Never heard of one that a large group said was universally worthwhile. The selling point here is you can get a monthly delivery which doesn't seem to fit this market. Generally monthly deliveries are done for goods or products that people would be too lazy to go out and purchase but cards are already delivered directly to our doors - I don't see their competitive advantage.

I wouldn't do this with your money.

Techniq

Jan 2, 2014
South San Francisco, CA
This. 100s of mystery boxes/packs/packages out there. Never heard of one that a large group said was universally worthwhile. The selling point here is you can get a monthly delivery which doesn't seem to fit this market. Generally monthly deliveries are done for goods or products that people would be too lazy to go out and purchase but cards are already delivered directly to our doors - I don't see their competitive advantage.

The element of surprise!

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
The element of surprise!

Usually the people that are willing to pay a little extra for the element of surprise buy hobby boxes. At least with hobby boxes you may get your money back or even make a profit though the majority of the time you will lose money so there's always that factor that you may pull something incredible. With this idea it's basically guaranteed that you will not get back in sale value the amount you pay for the "membership" (obviously since this guy is running it to make a profit).

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Yea, you're not buying this product for the hope of pulling some monster card. I mean it has to be like 1 in a million considering you'd have to get one pack of something relatively rare and then kill the odds of that one pack to hit a monster hit. Anyways, I think it is a fun gift idea and probably better for kids and people who want a little fun but aren't in it for the making of money or ripping $100 pack type stuff, etc.

All-in-all, not for me but glad someone is finding it fun.

Techniq

Jan 2, 2014
South San Francisco, CA
Reminds me of my girlfriend's Birchboxes (monthly makeup surprise box). Interesting idea, but I'm pretty sure you'll get crap.

Haha that's what had me subscribing to one of these things for a few months last year! My wife was getting her makeup box and I was like oh yeah well I'm gonna find one too! It was cool and a lil exciting but just not worth it in the end.

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
Usually the people that are willing to pay a little extra for the element of surprise buy hobby boxes. At least with hobby boxes you may get your money back or even make a profit though the majority of the time you will lose money so there's always that factor that you may pull something incredible. With this idea it's basically guaranteed that you will not get back in sale value the amount you pay for the "membership" (obviously since this guy is running it to make a profit).

contrary to popular belief , not everyone who buys/collects cards does so with the intent of making a profit....AT LEAST 1-2 per week but more often than not 3-4 per week and quite a few times up to 50-60 boxes in a single day....most of what i opened was hobby but i also LOVED the old treat/vantage variety boxes (8 packs for 6.99 , 10 packs for 9.99 , or 20 packs for 19.99 , all with "bonus" items included) found at toys-r-us and k-mart plus the kick-off variety boxes (20 packs , mostly 2000-2001 pacific hobby products - which meant tons of pacific , paramount , and aurora brady rookies - including one gu-per-pack 01 titanium or titanium post-season) from target.....i can honestly say that despite all the great hobby pulls i had , some of my best came from those variety boxes ...plenty people on the forums (mostly beckett back then) laughed when i praised the variety boxes...i was told it was all retail , all searched , and all junk....could not have been further from the truth....just a few of the highlights of those boxes included a joe dimaggio pinstripes exclusives jersey /100 , a mattingly/ripken/morgan/robinson quad bat /150 from flair greats , a peyton manning cramer's choice (when they were still a big deal) , a hines ward 1998 skybox autographics , an honor roll brett favre/mark brunell dual jersey (also big at the time) .....in one particularly memorable $20 box , i hit a jerry rice donruss leather kings studio /25 (still a triple digit card) , a 2000 feel the game emmitt smith jersey which was one of the top 3 cards in that set , and a 2000 rookies and stars longevity parallel numbered to 25 tha was quite pricey at the time....i could go on and on with a list of great hits in those "junk" boxes , but i must say that even without the big hits , opening all those variety boxes - usually 4-5 per week over a 2-3 year period - was pretty much the most fun i ever recall in my 30+ years in the hobby....i don't have the funds to try these collectorcrates , but i must say i did like the pack selection - especially the 93 finest - in that silver level and the bonus cards were even pretty decent....

BenG76

May 15, 2013
Fancy Gap, VA
contrary to popular belief , not everyone who buys/collects cards does so with the intent of making a profit....AT LEAST 1-2 per week but more often than not 3-4 per week and quite a few times up to 50-60 boxes in a single day....most of what i opened was hobby but i also LOVED the old treat/vantage variety boxes (8 packs for 6.99 , 10 packs for 9.99 , or 20 packs for 19.99 , all with "bonus" items included) found at toys-r-us and k-mart plus the kick-off variety boxes (20 packs , mostly 2000-2001 pacific hobby products - which meant tons of pacific , paramount , and aurora brady rookies - including one gu-per-pack 01 titanium or titanium post-season) from target.....i can honestly say that despite all the great hobby pulls i had , some of my best came from those variety boxes ...plenty people on the forums (mostly beckett back then) laughed when i praised the variety boxes...i was told it was all retail , all searched , and all junk....could not have been further from the truth....just a few of the highlights of those boxes included a joe dimaggio pinstripes exclusives jersey /100 , a mattingly/ripken/morgan/robinson quad bat /150 from flair greats , a peyton manning cramer's choice (when they were still a big deal) , a hines ward 1998 skybox autographics , an honor roll brett favre/mark brunell dual jersey (also big at the time) .....in one particularly memorable $20 box , i hit a jerry rice donruss leather kings studio /25 (still a triple digit card) , a 2000 feel the game emmitt smith jersey which was one of the top 3 cards in that set , and a 2000 rookies and stars longevity parallel numbered to 25 tha was quite pricey at the time....i could go on and on with a list of great hits in those "junk" boxes , but i must say that even without the big hits , opening all those variety boxes - usually 4-5 per week over a 2-3 year period - was pretty much the most fun i ever recall in my 30+ years in the hobby....i don't have the funds to try these collectorcrates , but i must say i did like the pack selection - especially the 93 finest - in that silver level and the bonus cards were even pretty decent....

Awesome post. BTW I got the Bronze level one last month and I thought it was pretty good as well. You may want to try one of those.

I really like getting these and I may continue to do so. Probably not every month though. How many times have people spent $50 or more on boxes and hardly get anything, or better yet buying a slot in a group break where you get nothing at all. I am just sharing this with others and I can understand it is not for everyone. I just don't get so much of the negativity about it.

Members online

Latest posts