Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

SF Giants talk and collecting thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Either that or they're freeing up funds to go bonkers on a FA arm.

Saw a cleaver observation about Nori Aoki on Twitter today: Aoki spent the last 2 seasons in KC and SF, but has no rings to show for it.

I heard Evans on KNBR but he didn't seem to think Cespedes was coming here. I dunno about FA, they don't seem to make huge splashes but hopefully they do better than Aoki and McGhee this year. That sucks for Aoki, very solid player. I hope he gets signed by a contender

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
I meant I've heard nothing but negative stuff about him. If it's not for money he's not interested.

I haven't heard anything, so I can't really comment.

However, with Affeldt gone, I wonder who's going to step forward as the team spokesman/ambassador? Affeldt did that job so well for years. I don't see Posey taking that role.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I haven't heard anything, so I can't really comment.

However, with Affeldt gone, I wonder who's going to step forward as the team spokesman/ambassador? Affeldt did that job so well for years. I don't see Posey taking that role.
A girl who worked for the Fresno Grizzlies said he was the most arrogant player she'd ever met. He wouldn't sign for anyone or do charity stuff. A close friend of mine volunteered for some Giants thing and she asked if Posey was there a Giants employee told her that Posey doesn't do any of that stuff unless there's money involved. Great player, but doesn't seem like a great guy. Even KNBR talks about how he's kind of a ***** with no personality

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
More OCD additions to the hoard....

Francisco Liriano. The centerpiece of one of the worst trades in Giants history.
2002Liriano.jpg

2004Hutting.jpg 2015Carbonell.jpg

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
Panik seems like a great guy too in the few interviews that I've seen. I hope that double play combo stays together for a long time.

Panik is a nice guy too, but I haven't met him yet. My favorite memory of Brandon Crawford is when I was at Spring Training in 2010. I saw him stretching in the grass, and no one knew who he was. I recognized him because I had a few cards of him, and I called out to him - hi Brandon, would you sign my ball? He smiled and said sure and came over and signed for about a hour. Great guy.

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
what was it? Him and Nathan for Aj?

Yup. Liriano, Nathan, and Boof Bonser for AJ.

AJ was not a good fit.

Liriano was a top notch prospect, and he showed promise as a starter, but injuries bit him.
Nathan immediately turned into an elite closer for the next 6 seasons, Giants had likable scrubs and an unlikable Armando Benitez.
Bonser didn't do anything.

Of course, if the Giants didn't stink when they did, then no top 10 pick 4 years in a row, and no Lincecum, Bumgarner, and Posey.

No Linceucm, no 2010 WS. No Posey, no 2012 WS. No Bumgarner, no 2014 WS.

It all worked out eventually, but the ultimate intent of the trade was to win it all in 2004, and instead they missed the playoffs with a 91 win season.

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
Woah, did ya'll see that 2015 Topps Pink Matt Duffy just hammer for $133.50?

The other 3 to sell on Ebay went for between $51 and $57.

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
Greinke to AZ! I didn't see that coming.

With the front-line starters off the FA market, I'm not sure how the Giants can improve their rotation this off-season without making a stupid trade (e.g. Duffy + Panik for Shelby Miller).

zlpeterson

Sep 23, 2015
San Francisco
Anyone want the 89 Fleer Set of Giants? I'm in SF also so can meet up for exchange or enough bucks to cover shipping, not looking to profit, just help fellow collectors out

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
2016 rotation:
1) Bumgarner
2) Cain
3) Peavy
4) Samardzija
5) annual SF Giants minor leaguer who looks good in his first few starts, then turns into dust.

Doesn't feel too good to see 3 huge question marks in a 5 man rotation.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
2016 rotation:
1) Bumgarner
2) Cain
3) Peavy
4) Samardzija
5) annual SF Giants minor leaguer who looks good in his first few starts, then turns into dust.

Doesn't feel too good to see 3 huge question marks in a 5 man rotation.

I think Samardzija/Leake were plan B

Members online

Latest posts