Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Epic Milestone For My Astros A to Z Autograph Project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
I am a couple of weeks late updating this, but over Christmas I hit a huge milestone for my Astros A to Z Autograph Project.

On Christmas morning, my expectations were very low as far as autographs are concerned. My family thinks my collection is fantastic but they are too scared to purchase something that is not authentic, so they tend to avoid buying me autographs. As I am opening my gifts, I noticed one is shaped in a way that makes only an autograph collector excited. A rectangle that is slightly larger than 8X10.

But I tamped down my excitement. I have fallen into this trap before and been disappointed by a perfectly good gift because I expected to much. I peeled back the wrapping paper and saw brown cardboard. It was a shipping envelope. A good sign! I pulled back the flap and saw an Astros emblem. It had to be a new autograph. I pulled it out and laughed at the picture I saw before me. When I started this project more than a decade ago, I never imagined that this would be the player that would end up being my Astros autographed #700 .

BerraDale_zpschzlaiso.jpeg

Does he look familiar? His dad is a HOFer. He played a mere 19 games for the Astros and was rumored to have only gotten a contract as a favor to his father, who was a coach for the Astros the same year he played.

I'll end the suspense. My 700th unique Astros autograph is Dale Berra.

My wife and my mother hunted this 8X10 down. They contacted another autograph collector from my Facebook to help verify that the autograph was legit and accidentally ended up getting me my 700th.

Since Christmas I have located another four autographs, so my needs list is down to 162 players. I now find myself chasing after very expensive autographs, very obscure autographs, or autographs that are both. That's right, I'm talking to you Dr. Mike Marshall, who wants $450 for an autograph because he is a crazy person.

Please feel free to browse through my website linked above. Aside from the autographs, I have interviews I have conducted with former Astros players and articles that I randomly update. Stay tuned, as I have completed an interview with Curt Schilling but have not had time to write it up yet.

Also, share your autographs! I love seeing what other people have amassed.

Finally, if you have anything off of my needs list, hit me up. Just remember that everything in my collection either pictures the player as an Astros player, in a minor league uniform without an obvious team affiliation (New Orleans Zyphers is fine but Iowa Cubs is not), or has no affiliation at all (such as an index card).

Attachments

• BerraDale.jpg
    BerraDale.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 22

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
Indeed it did. I bid $300 because I was broke. No telling what the actual high bid was though.

And Mike Marshall is a crazy person. I'll find him on some random item eventually. Jim Owens is the same way and I found a poorly listed index card of him for $3 lol

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
It might be too late now, but Chris Potter sold a bunch of Marshall's at auction format. I didn't get a Dodger card, but settled for one of the better action cards of his otherwise (77T) for under $60 if I remember correctly. I want to say he started them (actually signing) around $185 and I think he brought it down to about $125 before auctioning them. Still too much for a guy who has now signed many more than he once had. Not quite enough to soften the market, but maybe if we can keep getting private signings down, it will eventually. Look at Bill Russell now.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
One of those items only a true team collector would enjoy, or a completist who is trying for all the players. No other way to explain crazy money paid for some of these guys who had no significant contribution to the game but still bring 3-4 figure prices when their items appear. There are enough fanatics out there for obscure autographs though, so the prices for those truly rare pieces never seem to soften enough.

I was looking at the list of guys you're missing, I didn't even know that some of those guys played with the Astros!

A Jay Dahl index card sold a few years ago at auction for less than what Mike Marshall seems to be charging for his auto:

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/lot-129649.aspx

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
Congrats on the milestone. When I saw the picture and auto, my first thought was when did Dale Berra play for the Astros? I guess 19 games isn't enough to stick in the memory.

Members online