Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Whay are COMC sellers generally so stingy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramunc89

May 20, 2015
Thx just wanted to make sure I wasn't misinterpreting what NMT grade was. Base card or higher $ card should be graded the same and when being sold they need to be as described. Guess I'm ranting as it seems like with eBay especially this is what I'm receiving a lot lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
No that is not near mint. But, and not to say this is right, it is just a base card. Good luck getting anyone to pay any real attention to the condition of those types of cards.

i care. If a card has a dinged corner, I don't list it for sale. I don't even put it in my PC when I'm busting the boxes. Every card right out of the pack gets scrutinized for dings/notches before it's good enough to mark it off my set-building checklist for the PC or list it on sportlots for sale if it's a duplicate.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
another way to look at it is that COMC takes 20% to cash out.

I am sitting on around $400 right now in my account and i dont want to take that big hit so i have been searching for a strong $400 card so i can pay $3 to ship it and sell it a much cheaper way. Ive made a few more than fair offers the last few days and i keep getting countered with just under their asking price which is almost double what they actually sell for.

so i think sellers realize buyers will pay a bit more to not have to get charged the cashout fee.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
another way to look at it is that COMC takes 20% to cash out.

I am sitting on around $400 right now in my account and i dont want to take that big hit so i have been searching for a strong $400 card so i can pay $3 to ship it and sell it a much cheaper way. Ive made a few more than fair offers the last few days and i keep getting countered with just under their asking price which is almost double what they actually sell for.

so i think sellers realize buyers will pay a bit more to not have to get charged the cashout fee.

Only problem is, on eBay, if the card is listed there, that method won't work and the card won't be sold.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
i care. If a card has a dinged corner, I don't list it for sale. I don't even put it in my PC when I'm busting the boxes. Every card right out of the pack gets scrutinized for dings/notches before it's good enough to mark it off my set-building checklist for the PC or list it on sportlots for sale if it's a duplicate.

Not everyone is that way. Plus, when you're sorting cases worth of base cards, I'm sure it's easy to overlook. I don't have that problem as I don't bust that much. Other guys may not either. But the ones that do, I can see it happening easy.

I have more of a beef when people list stuff for sale they don't really have anymore because they're not paying attention and have it listed multiple places or take the box it's in to a show and it gets lost or sold. I understand the need to make money and sell the card which could include listing it multiple places. But as a buyer, it does not make for a positive experience.

DragonWagon

May 4, 2015
Read the fine print about nm. I know on sport lots the definition is different than my definition. I believe according to them that your card is nm.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Read the fine print about nm. I know on sport lots the definition is different than my definition. I believe according to them that your card is nm.

I am not trying to evolve this thread into a sportlots thread. But, sportlots has some funny ideas about a lot of things. Like...it's ok if you choose budget shipping and the cards arrive damaged in the mail it's not the sellers fault. That's just one of many odd things I see. I don't care how you ship an item, you should always task yourself with getting it to the buyer in a timely and safe fashion.

mmier118

Jan 29, 2010
I like and use COMC a lot, we should start a thread for people that want to cash out and people that add credit. I swear I'm always adding credit because i mostly buy, can you transfer money between accounts? Or I could just list one of my commons for $100 bucks and then someone could buy it. Then I could just paypal over funds at a slight discount and everyone wins. Anyways, I like that I can buy older inserts for relatively cheap. They have good scans of the front and back, and most (not all) sellers are really good about accepting fair offers. My only complaint is that it seems a lot of the good stuff is getting picked over and for stuff from the 90's and early 2000's its just not getting replenished.

ramunc89

May 20, 2015
Well I guess my beef is sellers that list items as "Brand New" or NMT only to receive a card, base or expensive that is dinged, dented, scuffed, scratched up etc and their scan isn't clear enough or they use the excuse "it's from the scanner/sleeve/top loader. So my original question about whether the card was NMT or not was to see what the consensus was on how everyone would grade that card. And would you list it for sale?

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Well I guess my beef is sellers that list items as "Brand New" or NMT only to receive a card, base or expensive that is dinged, dented, scuffed, scratched up etc and their scan isn't clear enough or they use the excuse "it's from the scanner/sleeve/top loader. So my original question about whether the card was NMT or not was to see what the consensus was on how everyone would grade that card. And would you list it for sale?

new definition of NMT- near mangled trash. :(

David K.

Aug 26, 2008
Fresno, CA
I buy from COMC about 8 to 10 times a year. I always shop around and select the lowest card of thoses that are available. No problems so far. Best regards, David

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
When did standard shipping go up to $3.99?

Been that way on eBay for a while. I'd say don't buy unless you've got multiple cards you're buying or you really need a card and don't mind the extra money to ship just one.

klute14

Dec 4, 2008
Maine
I was buying direct from the site and its the first time I've seen it @ $3.99.

Been that way on eBay for a while. I'd say don't buy unless you've got multiple cards you're buying or you really need a card and don't mind the extra money to ship just one.

psj

Jul 24, 2015
Long Island
Thx just wanted to make sure I wasn't misinterpreting what NMT grade was. Base card or higher $ card should be graded the same and when being sold they need to be as described. Guess I'm ranting as it seems like with eBay especially this is what I'm receiving a lot lately.

I posted a rant last week, pretty much about the same thing. It seems like lately its a 50/50 chance on receiving a card that's rlt in nm-mint condition, or a card that's destroyed.

chadgwynn

Jun 13, 2011
I am having same problems and offer pictures to them as proof and then they say it wasn't like that when they shipped it. Or they send a $50 card without a soft sleeve and it gets surface scratches damaged and I was told to take it up with eBay.

ramunc89

May 20, 2015
In last 6 mos had to return several cards/lots I bought due to condition. One seller even had in bold capital letters "ALL CARDS MINT" "BUY WITH CONFIDENCE" and out of the 160 cards over half of them had dinged corners or scuffing of the chrome. Won't be buying from him again.

beansballcardblog

Oct 22, 2011
Arlington, TX
As a COMC seller my first two thoughts are:

-You don't know what the seller paid for the card. They may have bought it from someone else and don't want to lose money. You can criticize them for it, but do you want to lose money?
-If the seller already has the lowest price, why not just buy it instead of trying to knock them down more? If I don't have the lowest price I will consider the offer/counteroffer.
-Then, to play devil's advocate...why is it that because a seller counteroffers at a few cents difference, does it necessarily make them the bad guy? You're also haggling over a few cents.

Just my thoughts.

Members online

Latest posts