Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Seller cancels auction after you win and pay...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
…how do you deal with it and your thoughts in general?

It has now happened to me twice this week. One seller just cancelled me with no explanation. I asked them why (4 items) and they claimed the items couldn't be found and that the scans used were old. The other apologized that it was mislisted and that was all they said. None of the items in both cases have been relisted as of yet. If I saw example #1 realist items, I would certainly be pissed. Example #2 I could understand, especially given the reason I was told.

I realize that this could be discussed many different ways, depending on the true circumstances, although how does anyone really know what the truth is in these cases.

I am not sure if I even have any repercussion opportunities should I wish to go down that route (negative feedback or low ratings). Frankly I am undecided at this point.

Here are my thoughts. Although honest mistakes happen, when you are selling (and buying for that matter, as i have bid on several things w/o reading the listing carefully), you should take your time, review the listing carefully and when you are satisfied, pull the trigger and list it. Make sure the item is as described, that you still have the damn thing and that you are asking the price you want (BIN) or start it at a price you are comfortable with, should it only get 1 bid.

pac_rat_76

Aug 10, 2008
Minnesota
I have a hard time believing a seller who claims a listing error or even that the item couldn't be found. I realize I don't sell nearly the volume of some of these sellers, but I've made mistakes in listings before and have always caught & fixed the mistake well before the auction has ended. When I sell an item it is right in front of me and I can visually confirm it's there and thus I have a hard time understanding how anyone can list something they supposedly no longer have. Don't they check beforehand? I'd be real tempted to leave negative feedback in both cases but that's just my "Negative Nelly" opinion.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Thank you. I am looking for any feedback, both buyer and seller perspective, as I am sure they differ on matters like this often, even from the same person looking at both sides.

I tend to agree with you, but then again I also expect people to take responsibility for their own actions too. I have never listed something I didn't have in front of me and I have never listed an item at the wrong price either, since you have several opportunities to check that price before posting it.

I have a hard time believing a seller who claims a listing error or even that the item couldn't be found. I realize I don't sell nearly the volume of some of these sellers, but I've made mistakes in listings before and have always caught & fixed the mistake well before the auction has ended. When I sell an item it is right in front of me and I can visually confirm it's there and thus I have a hard time understanding how anyone can list something they supposedly no longer have. Don't they check beforehand? I'd be real tempted to leave negative feedback in both cases but that's just my "Negative Nelly" opinion.

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
It's easy to catch a mistake if you list a couple items, but I've had both happen to me. I've listed my website on ebay, 15000 items and had items that were out of stock get listed. And have had items relisted on ebay that were out of stock. So check the guys auctions to see how many cards are being listed. 1 of my last 3 negs were because of that.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
That's a tough situation to be in. It could just be isolated incidents just happening twice this week. You'd like to believe the sellers, mistakes do happen, but there's just too many bad apples and bad experiences that ruin honest mistakes.

Like others have said in regards to incident #1 , seems pretty hard to list something you don't have. As far as incident #2 , I'd be more peeved about it if I saw it listed at a higher price now. If they priced it incorrectly, they should chalk it up to you winning this one, and they'll get a deal on something down the road.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
I wouldn’t leave negative feedback right away, I’ve had this happen to me a bunch of times now. If it’s one of those sellers that always had hundreds of items up it could have been an honest mistake but I’d say it’s less likely if it’s someone that just has a couple hundred total feedback ratings. I usually wait and see if he relists the card a week or two later…I’ve had it happen multiple times where the guy did and then I leave a bad negative.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Was it a listing on someone's hype? I ALMOST once listed 2 Eli Manning cards I was SURE I had (I had the scans) after the 2007 SB. I had the listing ready to go because I wanted that BIN out THAT NIGHT! At the last second, I went to put my hands on them, and I couldn't find them after an hour of looking.

But as far as your recourse, coming on here to complain and us giving you sympathy and empathy is really all you have. Sorry man.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Brush it off.

I know that I have hit "relist" to a bunch of listings and have forgotten to remove those items sold offline.

Members online

Latest posts