Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1995 Pacific Error / Variation Cuadragulares / Cuadrangulares & More

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
I have a love-hate relationship with Pacific. I love the cards but hate spending hours over little things like this ... unless it turns out to be fruitful :)

Hoping others can chime in, but here is the subject:

20160209_163630.jpg

1995 Pacific Crown Collection Jose Canseco. I found an old super collector checklist notating there was a regular and a promo version of this card. The promo having the word "cuadragulares" and "cuadrangulares" variations. (Cuadrangulares is the regular word - it means home run.)

I'm not sure which is the promo and which is the regular, but I know that one had a darker color background and one had a lighter background and had the mark above the e in Jose at the top in the back, and the other did not.

See?

20160209_1636082.jpg

I can't find ANYTHING anywhere online about this, much less the "cuadrangulares/cuadragulares" error version. Heck, I don't even know which variation I have, since I'm not sure which the promo is and which is the regular ... though I believe the "regular" card to be the one where cuadrangulares is spelled correctly and has the mark over the e in Jose, which means I'd need the other version that says "cuadrangulares".

PHEW this is getting stupid confusing.

As I mentioned before, google has been of no help whatsoever. As a matter of fact, the only results that come up that have to do with this are the checklist I got it off of, and a post here I mentioned to begin with.

Then, one day as I was cruising COMC, I noticed a 95 Pacific Canseco come for sale for (gasp) $7 ... quite a bit for a regular card, right? I decided to take a closer look and WHOAAAA ... it looks like it is the one I wanted! I pulled out my 2 variations and was OVERLY thorough to make sure I was getting one I didn't have. To my surprise, it was one that I needed. The spelling of cuadrangulares what different on that same version of card I needed. YAAAAYYY!!!!

I just got it today, and wanted to verify before I glibly checked it off my checklist.

I WAS WRONG?!!?

Either that or comc pulled the ole' switcharoo ... I figured sometimes they may exchange one for another if dealing in fairly common cards like this. I was able to verify that it was buyer error, so I just (over)paid $7 for a card I already had.

Just before I was about to put it in my doubles box, I noticed something.

20160209_163608.jpg

See anything different? The left card is the one I just picked up. It has a slight difference. In the English paragraph, it starts with a diamond whereas the middle card does not have it!

So to get this straight, I bought a card thinking it was a variation due to a spanish word spelled wrong ... only to find out the card had a DIFFERENT variation that I knew nothing about!

For me, my next question was: What does this mean for my checklist? Cuadragulares/cuadrangulares varitions for THREE separate types of cards, making 6 needed on the checklist? I quickly updated my checklist to show this. I then double checked the checklist that showed it to begin with, and as it turns out, there is NO promo variation with "cuadrangulares" ... there are TWO promo variations of "cuadragulares".

So, after chasing my tail for a ridiculous amount of time, all is good now. I have all three variations...and it ended up happening like this by mistake!

My head hurts now. Time for dinner!

Any strange error/variation hunting stories welcome!

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Though I can't see the pics, what about the one you thought you'd get from COMC? Was that a card you needed/need still?

Ryan

mouschi

May 18, 2012
Though I can't see the pics, what about the one you thought you'd get from COMC? Was that a card you needed/need still?

Ryan

Yes I ended up getting the comc card I needed though it ended up being a card I needed for a reason I didn't realize until I got it. ..it was all very confusing!

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Yes I ended up getting the comc card I needed though it ended up being a card I needed for a reason I didn't realize until I got it. ..it was all very confusing!

Well I'm confused... I know the one u got you needed, but was that the one you ordered? If no, the one you ordered and didn't receive, don't you still need that?

And...who's on first

Ryan

mouschi

May 18, 2012
Well I'm confused... I know the one u got you needed, but was that the one you ordered? If no, the one you ordered and didn't receive, don't you still need that?

And...who's on first

Ryan

Im confused a bit too lol! My wife is acting like she deserves some sort of an award for listening to me tell it to her without rolling her eyes. Here is the cliffs notes. ..

I found out there was a spelling error card I needed from an obscure checklist that no one else had listed anywhere.
I found the card and ordered it (after closely examining it and comparing with the cards I had to make sure it was the one I needed. )
When I got the card, it turned out that it was not a spelling variation but rather a variation I didn't know existed.
After checking the old checklist I found that the second spelling variation from, it turns out it never said a second spelling variation to begin with and instead apparently described the variation I picked up after all!

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Im confused a bit too lol! My wife is acting like she deserves some sort of an award for listening to me tell it to her without rolling her eyes. Here is the cliffs notes. ..

I found out there was a spelling error card I needed from an obscure checklist that no one else had listed anywhere.
I found the card and ordered it (after closely examining it and comparing with the cards I had to make sure it was the one I needed. )
When I got the card, it turned out that it was not a spelling variation but rather a variation I didn't know existed.
After checking the old checklist I found that the second spelling variation from, it turns out it never said a second spelling variation to begin with and instead apparently described the variation I picked up after all!

But I thought you noticed a spelling variation before buying it on COMC? Basically why did you buy the damn card off there in the first place ;)

Ryan

mouschi

May 18, 2012
But I thought you noticed a spelling variation before buying it on COMC? Basically why did you buy the damn card off there in the first place ;)

Ryan

I thought so too...I guess I'm just losing my marbles in my old age :)

mouschi

May 18, 2012
Is this a variation on all the cards or just Canseco?

Good question! I'd say the misspelling is just canseco but perhaps there are others with promos as well.

Members online