Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why has your collecting slowed down?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Improved focus due to shrinking supply of disposable income. That said, as I've become more focused and picky some of my favorite pickups this year have been under $5. So much great stuff out there that doesn't have to be too expensive and finding a nice deal on a moderately low numbered card is a blast.
However I could see the trend the OP discussed causing an increase in my spending. Gold Refactors for under $5 shipped and Red Refractors under $15 shipped of my favorite team? Yes please!

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
1) Player sucking.
2) Lack of new product or older cards popping.
3) Other interests.
4) Family.
5) Player sucking.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Topps is kinda killing me, I bought a Bernie Williams autograph, without the Yankee logo, it just seems off. I liked collecting Yankee cards but I'm not a huge fan of collecting the New York baseball club

mmier118

Jan 29, 2010
I don't know if I've really slowed down but I have definitely slowed down on collecting current releases. There just hasn't been anything released that I really felt like improved my collection. I really only want one nice autograph of each player I liked watching and I've mostly completed that. I'm still working on a few sets mostly late 90's to early 00's insert sets where the cards I need don't come up very often for a price I'm willing to pay. The new cards that Topps is producing don't really interest me, however this has allowed me to focus my collecting dollars elsewhere. I've been buying a little bit of vintage football which is pretty cool and they are still rather affordable compared to their baseball counterparts although they seem to be rising in price. I've also been buying a bunch of .50 to 1.00 cards on COMC mostly to fill out the complete topps run of players I collect and liked watching. So it's not that I've slowed down on collecting it's just that I haven't been compelled to collect anything modern, if packs/boxes were cheaper and/or had more value I'm sure it would be different but my collecting dollars just go so much further with singles.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The responses in this thread show that the hobby is slowly dying.
Makes me wonder how many of today's cards will hold any value if there are hardly any collectors in 20 years.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
Makes me wonder how many of today's cards will hold any value if there are hardly any collectors in 20 years.

UDrare.jpg

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
1. Just became a father August 30th. Baby boy named Grayson. He's awesome.

2. Finances (see above).

3. Generally, I only player collect. My wants are so narrow that I'm only seeking really tough cards. Nobody lists Erstad cards /25 that I need LOL.

4. Time. I used to case break a lot but don't have the time to open much less sell what I don't want to keep.

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
1. Just became a father August 30th. Baby boy named Grayson. He's awesome.

2. Finances (see above).

3. Generally, I only player collect. My wants are so narrow that I'm only seeking really tough cards. Nobody lists Erstad cards /25 that I need LOL.

4. Time. I used to case break a lot but don't have the time to open much less sell what I don't want to keep.

Congrats on the birth of your son.

Wes

OG
Administrator

I don't know that that's a fair conclusion to draw, given the fact that the selection of people responding in this thread are by definition people who are slowing down.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly

Granted, it was the year of the Strike, but I'd bet ALOT of people said this 20 years ago in '94.

And ALOT of people have said it ever since. But in my experience, the Hobby never Dies, just changes. The "value" of cards has little to do with the overall health of the Hobby.

Personally, after quite a few years of down personal income, mine is actually up and so is my Hobby buying. My PC is not focused enough, and will never rival some on here, but I still enjoy it immensely, whether it's just a cool Stadium Club common with a great photo or a shiny Blue refractor or even something I pull that I know I will sell, to fund something else...

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
1) Omar hasn't been in much until the last few months.
2) Pre-2014 cards that I don't have only show up once or twice a year.
3) Several cards on my want-list have shown up, but the price has been galactically stupid. Case in point, 2 bat barrels went for $3K each. Press Proof /25 for $300...
4) I'd consider a ACEO card once in a while, but most look like they came from pre-school fingerpainting class.
5) Sticker autographs are depressingly ugly.

Members online