Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1996 Select Certified Red Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brian46256qqv

Mar 26, 2012
if anyone is trying this, would you mind taking a pic with it halfway off so we can see it

The one 1996 certified card I had laying around just so happened to be the same one that started this thread. Very difficult to get it started and can't imagine trying on a high dollar card.

bigalbert

Aug 7, 2008
The one 1996 certified card I had laying around just so happened to be the same one that started this thread. Very difficult to get it started and can't imagine trying on a high dollar card.

awesome! thanks for the pic.
I wanna peel my ripken gold cuz of the bubbles on surface.
maybe a couple of highballs some night and we'll give it a shot
I have a psa 9 mirror red and a psa 9 mirror blue and the gold won't grade out very high if I don't peel it.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
looks like the peel is still on theses
1997%20topps%20Mit%201998%20Stars%20and%20Steel%20007_zpseswmo46q.jpg

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
Recently found your thread while scouring the forums. I love these cards...they were revolutionary for their time.

There are 2 great ways to tell if the peel is still on a card. 1) Look at how light reflects off of the surface. The unpeeled card will look dull yet smooth, whereas the surface of a peeled card will be sort of wavy and very shiny, almost like it is wet. 2) Look at the dark area on the card. As is almost always the case, the protective film will have tiny air bubbles under it - not a lot, but there will be some. I haven't seen an unpeeled card without them.

These cards are very gorgeous with the peel removed and often the peel has scuffs and scratches which will be gone with the peel. I have peeled quite a few of these 1996s, including my mirror and AP cards. I would advise that you put the card in a penny sleeve immediately after peeling since the actual surface is easy to scratch/scuff. If you're loading it into a top loader, put it in a penny sleeve first. If you're using a screw-down or magnetic holder, make sure you can have it in a penny sleeve. If you're just stacking them in a box, penny sleeve. I don't trust any holder to keep it secure enough to not slide even a little bit (which could scuff an area if the surface rubs over the years).

The easiest way to get the peel off is to start it under 10x - 20x magnification and find a corner that may already be started. Put a fine needle or razor under the film, being careful not to touch the card's surface, and lift slowly and repeatedly until there's enough to grip with tweezers. With the tweezers, pull it back far enough to grip with your fingertips. Pull very slowly, stopping now and then to re-grip both the card and the peel. Remember, patience is key! I always hold the card at the edges and try to pull at less than a 45-deg angle so the card doesn't bend.
Better yet, just give me your mirror cards and I'll make sure they're peeled and placed in a good collection! :D

Members online