Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Anyone know the story behind this card? (Ruth Patch 1/1)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Stamped 1/1, but also has a stamp from the National. No indication on the card that it should be a patch, and there seems to be a whole bunch of fakes popping up on eBay recently, but there's also an old article in Beckett on this card selling years back, though it's a little strange...

Anyone know anything about it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-Leaf-C...391?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25a0452e77

$_57.JPG

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Pretty sweet ! Interesting to see a selling price. I'd need to see the front if the jersey , I don't think it's from the number , maybe the NY logo?

Ryan

mrwhitesox30

Oct 7, 2008
The patch looks way too new to have been on a Ruth jersey. Back then it was basically just a straight cut-out from wool with stitching on the edges of the letter. Donruss might be the only ones that know the true answer.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
I think there's about a 1% chance at most of that patch being real and it would have to be from an obscure part of the Yankee's road jersey from that time I'm not familiar with. The navy part of the patch looks far too modern to have been from the logo, number, or name part of the jersey that Leaf used for these cards.

linuxabuser

Jan 16, 2011
The patch looks way too new to have been on a Ruth jersey. Back then it was basically just a straight cut-out from wool with stitching on the edges of the letter. Donruss might be the only ones that know the true answer.

Yep. It looks like it has polyester, which is a big giveaway.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
It's a 100% out-and-out fake. The dealer mentioned in the Beckett article is one that's been heavily discussed here and on other boards for fake patches and other shady dealings.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
I have inquired about the card with several people especially those close to the set or familiar with ruth patches. It's deemed a fake but more than that I think Adam is correct in that it original purpose was a promo card to promote the set. I don't know if the patch was put in after it was acquired ( not buy the current seller but the person whom first came across it) or by donruss themselves as just a glimps of what these would look like. One thing is clear and that's that it is not a real ruth patch in there.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Never heard of Alex faking patches. I know he is a big time buyer who buys a ton of high end. I know its very possible and probable that he has sold some bad patches. Someone point me to those threads or articles. Im no friend of the guy though just curious

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Never heard of Alex faking patches. I know he is a big time buyer who buys a ton of high end. I know its very possible and probable that he has sold some bad patches. Someone point me to those threads or articles. Im no friend of the guy though just curious

Some of those threads and articles have already been posted here.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
I just noticed another altered ruth card with a sliver of a patch up on ebay currently. Back to back fake ruth patches, I don't think I have even come across that before.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
His name is Alex Mancini. Tall guy with a boy band haircut. The guy rubs people the wrong way. Im not surprised about the allegations. He ran ads in beckett for along time. I was unaware that apm was him. Should have known that

Luck15Hope

Jan 11, 2012
$_57.JPG$_57 (1).JPG

Yeah, definitely a fake. That one is on worthpoint. Sold on eBay back in 2013.
1_42b938b066fdef2298241101a3913e77.jpg1_42b938b066fdef2298241101a3913e77 (1).jpg

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/2003-donruss-elite-babe-ruth-411807004

As for the card in the OP, it is clearly not part of the "3" numbering. The photo on the back of the card clearly shows that every part of the number is much fatter than the patch on the card. Does anyone have a reference picture as to what the front of this jersey would have looked like?

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts