Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

***** Friday Morning Thread *****

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
Morning everyone. A frosty 27* here today :)
Happy blue Friday!!
View attachment 29496
images

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Brothers Calfas - hopefully this comes across as well as I would hope. When you search for cards in the hobby, specifically 90s inserts, do you have a strict standard that abide by?

I know GC is a big fan of 93 refractors, but is there a price where you just say to yourself "this is my price and I don't care if I'm saving this much I just can't go over it."

Pete - Do you stick to just buying a myriad of players but say "I will pay this much for a gold or an insert for Mo Vaughn or a Detroit player, but only if its this brand."

I guess what Im asking is, do you both have rigid guidelines that you don't deviate from, regardless of what it does/can do for your collection?

For me the answer is yes and no. Some cards have a clear max price but rare cards or need cards are a max+ bid. Max+ is a bump but not to an extreme.

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Morning all. Lots of stuff going on here. First of all, on the National level, it is Fun at Work Day. Good luck with that.

On a more personal note, today is my Hank Aaron birthday - we now share the number 44. I started my celebration last night at the Salem Red Sox auction. Picked up lots of cool stuff including tickets to Fenway, a gamer bat and lots of signed balls. I will try to get pics of those next week. The celebration will continue tonight in Charlottesville at the UVA (ranked #1 in the nation) annual baseball dinner and auction. Looking forward to seeing friends including @moxacaine tonight. The guest speaker is John Farrell. Nice of them to arrange that for my birthday ;).

Anyway, I am no where near done scanning the hits from my big mail day, but I figured today was the best day to share my two favorites.

First is this one. I know the eye appeal is not so great now, but I think it will get better with time.

View attachment 29494

Finally, since we now have something in common, I think today is the day to share this one. I will still put more scans over the coming weeks, but none come close to this one...

View attachment 29495

Edit...I should have been more clear. The above is dual auto book /10.

Make it a great day.
Nice additions. I look forward to seeing what you got in Salem. I hope to go to a UVA game or two this year, when they play Tech.
DANNY

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Morning all.

Today is Chinese New Years, and guess what? It's the Year of the Horse. Gotta be a sign for the Broncos to win!

I got 0-0 in the office squares pool. Great square to have, but don't think there's going to be a lack of scoring.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Morning

I have no vested interest in the Superbowl, but I hope 3 things.

1. Broncos win so the Seattle bandwagon loses a few passengers.

2. Derrick Coleman has a good game. He is an inspiration and the only Seahawks player I like.

3. Peyton drops 3 TDs on Sherman.

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
Everyone start their weekend early?

Started mine close to three hours ago :lol: Not doing much, just trying to get some TTM request written up. I wanna go home and get my mail though lol. Not knowing what I have waiting for me is killing me. Plus, its time to rearrange my memorabilia displays with the additions of 6 signed baseballs and 4 8x10 (3 will be displayed, don't need 2 Morneaus hanging up right now). I can't believe I'm three weeks into the spring semester now. I'm having some hard times deciding who to send TTM requests to. I'd like to order some 8x10s, but I can't decide which players to order some prints of

U L Washington Rookie

Dec 7, 2012
D Town
Brothers Calfas - hopefully this comes across as well as I would hope. When you search for cards in the hobby, specifically 90s inserts, do you have a strict standard that abide by?

I know GC is a big fan of 93 refractors, but is there a price where you just say to yourself "this is my price and I don't care if I'm saving this much I just can't go over it."

Pete - Do you stick to just buying a myriad of players but say "I will pay this much for a gold or an insert for Mo Vaughn or a Detroit player, but only if its this brand."

I guess what Im asking is, do you both have rigid guidelines that you don't deviate from, regardless of what it does/can do for your collection?

I've been trying to narrow my focus lately. I guess I'd say that I'm player-set combo collector. If it's not one of my players (Maddux, Mo, Cecil mostly), it's from:
Finest: '93, '95, and '97 - I don’t really like the sets from the even numbered years.
Stars N Steel – both years
’94 Bowman’s Best

I also limit my intentional searches (including for my PC players) to prior to 2000. And I tend to ignore game-used / relic cards, regardless of year.

There are enough cards I’d like to have but don’t own, that I’ll pass if I feel like I’d have to pay a price over where I’d feel like I was getting a reasonable deal. ‘Reasonable’ being a flexible word.

I do happen come across certain cards outside of my normal searches that get my attention. Sometimes I pass, sometimes I can’t. For example, so far I’ve been able to pass on 2000 Gold Label Golds (#’d to 100, I think); very sweet cards and I’m probably going to end up with a few of them.

How about you?

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
For now I'm sticking to HOFers as far as 90s inserts go. There are plenty of them that I like but I can't bring myself to spend the funds on. Once I get rid of some cards I will try to pick a few up.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Took Mucinex, after some Airborne tablets. Everything seems 'better' now, but stick hacking every now and again. Gotta have a bottle of water or juice nearby, because if I don't, like right now as I type, it can go on and on and on.

Really starting to think about pairing down the PC's. I'd love to get rid of all kinds of stuff, but it's stuff that nobody has an interest in. May put up the Zych Superfractor to see if that generates interest, as JJ stuff needs to be the #1 , but not only, PC I care about at the moment & going into the foreseeable future (that'd mean possibly parting out the Torii PC too, which I have a substantial amount of awesomeness, inc. a Mirror Black & Absolute TOTT 1/1 Auto.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Good evening.

Stopped up at the pawn shop to try and unload my stuff. No takers. The guy told me that baseball cards are worthless, without hardly looking at the goodies that I brought him. They were all new cards, not the '80s junk.

He was interested in a Vikings photofile on a wood mount, but it was damaged. I'll probably re-finish it and bring it back.

Anyway, that was a downer. He was nice and everything, just wasn't interested. Off to craigslist we go...

My friend also unloaded a ton of Genesis stuff on me, which was awesome. Too bad I can't play it for a bit though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts