Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rose bet as a player

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Right but if it collapsed tomorrow no one would die. Its entertainment

You can basically say that for anything... Seriously what would have to fail that hasn't that people die in reality? Everything has boundaries. That's an answer like Cowherd gave about the Cardinals/Astros hacking. "It's just baseball, who cares". Well probably the people who invest hundreds of millions into the company, that "baseball" isn't free.

Ryan

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I guess I just don't take it as serious as some people. I like to watch, collect cards or whatever but its a game. If he bet, I don't care, it doesnt effect me n the slightest, like the steroids guys.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Anyone know when he will be back on Fox Sports One?Curious what he will say about it.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I guess I just don't take it as serious as some people. I like to watch, collect cards or whatever but its a game. If he bet, I don't care, it doesnt effect me n the slightest, like the steroids guys.

If it can affect the integrity of the game, then it does matter. The steroid era was one thing, I think people basically "forgave" the mid 90s-mid 00s. It's those who lied about it and did it outside the "era" who struggle to have backing from fans, teams, leagues. Etc. The steroid era doesn't bother me at all, but those like Braun , ARod etc who continued and/or denied, blamed others are a different case to look past for most. In regards to Rose, it wasn't an "era" of gambling. It is a case where someone has lied so many times for decades and continues to admit lil by lil after being caught in new developments, it's hard to be sympathetic at a point.

Ryan

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011

But that's why no one is saying to throw him in jail, or make him wear an ankle bracelet to ensure he doesn't get within a mile of any stadium, but when you disgrace the game of baseball you shouldn't be welcomed back with open arms. The rules are explicity clear as are the punishments, he blatently broke the rules, lied about it, and then lied about it some more. The steroid guys permanently harm their own bodies for a few million dollars and the love of the fans, betting on baseball for self-profit is very different.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
But that's why no one is saying to throw him in jail, or make him wear an ankle bracelet to ensure he doesn't get within a mile of any stadium, but when you disgrace the game of baseball you shouldn't be welcomed back with open arms. The rules are explicity clear as are the punishments, he blatently broke the rules, lied about it, and then lied about it some more. The steroid guys permanently harm their own bodies for a few million dollars and the love of the fans, betting on baseball for self-profit is very different.

I don't think your argument makes sense. Disgracing the game? The steroids guys did that a hundred times worse than Rose and that's coming from a guy whose favorite players are steroids guy. If Rose threw games for money that's one thing but his nickname was charlie hustle not charlie don't give a f. McGwire and bonds' records taint the game much more than Rose but MLB didn't get a ton of fans and money from Rose so they're sooooo quick to demonize him. He never handled the allegations well and I doubt he'll deal with this well but still he's rule breaking seems small in comparison to an entire era who still denies their mistakes

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
I don't think your argument makes sense. Disgracing the game? The steroids guys did that a hundred times worse than Rose and that's coming from a guy whose favorite players are steroids guy. If Rose threw games for money that's one thing but his nickname was charlie hustle not charlie don't give a f. McGwire and bonds' records taint the game much more than Rose but MLB didn't get a ton of fans and money from Rose so they're sooooo quick to demonize him. He never handled the allegations well and I doubt he'll deal with this well but still he's rule breaking seems small in comparison to an entire era who still denies their mistakes

It's hard to compare one scandal to an entire era, but one is breaking the rules in a sport, and the other is doing something that is punishable by jail time in other industries. I'm not arguing with you that perhaps the steroid era guys should be demonized more, I don't really agree with that but I see why some argue it. What I'm saying is the guy broke a rule, lied about it, got caught and the punishment for breaking that rule was carried out, then complained he didn't deserve the punishment (got a bunch of money in some endorsements in commercials, signed a bunch of stuff, became a sportscaster) so really taking full advantage of that while lieing all the way through. Had this not come out you I think a lot more people would have maybe sided with Rose but now I think all of those people will feel lied to and many might lose support for him.

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
It's just really sad. As a kid back in the 60's and 70's I really liked Rose. He was a great player and he always hustled. I used to want him to get into the HOF, but not now.

Jun 30, 2010
There are certain standards that professional players have to be held to. I think Pete has also "done his time" so to speak and has been shunned from the league for awhile but he's maintained over and over and over that he never bet as a player and now another lie is uncovered. To prevent players from doing this in the future he should continue to get the hammer.

Betting on or against your own team is very close to insider trading, something punishable by years in prison.

This is something many people just don't seem to comprehend. Gambling is one rule in baseball that you just don't go down that path and every ballplayer has been drilled that in their head. Rose chose the wrong path. Trying to justify his choices is just foolish. It is a shame because he played the game the way it needed to be played and for that I am a fan and, his stats speak for themselves among the greats. However, reinstatement does nothing more than compromise more integrity of the sport.

DragonWagon

May 4, 2015
He did not bet on the reds to lose? I'm not buying that. If you bet as many times as he did on his team to win, then when he didn't bet that was his way of saying we aren't going to win. Giving all of his gambling ties the information that they needed to bet on the reds to lose.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
And to clarify, I don't want to make Rose out to be some horrible monster. Cobb, Ruth, Mantle, etc. are players that we consider to be some of the greatest ever yet I read sometime that Cobb stabbed a guy, Ruth and Mantle would constantly show up to games drunk, but there's just no wiggle room here he broke the rule literally in the exact way it was written. Had this been a guy with 30 career HR's and 800 H's and got the ban hammer no one would think twice. It's a shame but I do genuinely think that betting on the game (your team no less) is a big compromise of the game's integrity.

Enfuego79

Jan 21, 2013
Deltona, FL
Pete did screw this pooch pretty good and I would not be surprised after this late breaking news about the book that the ban is not lifted, even though it was well over 20 years ago. We still talk about the roids era, the black sox scandal etc so this is no different.

Enfuego79

Jan 21, 2013
Deltona, FL
And to clarify, I don't want to make Rose out to be some horrible monster. Cobb, Ruth, Mantle, etc. are players that we consider to be some of the greatest ever yet I read sometime that Cobb stabbed a guy, Ruth and Mantle would constantly show up to games drunk, but there's just no wiggle room here he broke the rule literally in the exact way it was written. Had this been a guy with 30 career HR's and 800 H's and got the ban hammer no one would think twice. It's a shame but I do genuinely think that betting on the game (your team no less) is a big compromise of the game's integrity.

+1

mmier118

Jan 29, 2010
I think it should only be an issue if he bet against his team. If he didn't, who cares? People get way too uptight about a game. Dude has more hits than anyone ever, put him, shoeless Joe Jackson, Barry, Roger and Alex in the hall.

I vote for this, as long as he didn't fix any games which it doesn't sound like he did, I could care less if he bet on his team. But I'm probably a degenerate gambler because I think it would be awesome if there was "in game" wagering at mlb games.

Last edited:

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I think it should only be an issue if he bet against his team. If he didn't, who cares? People get way too uptight about a game. Dude has more hits than anyone ever, put him, shoeless Joe Jackson, Barry, Roger and Alex in the hall.

MLB

If players, managers and team personnel can't abide by the rules set-forth by their employers, then they can't expect the same perks as those who do follow the rules. That's life.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
If he was betting on his team to win, then the days he didn't bet on his team to win, that told everyone else that he didn't believe his team was going to win that day.

Does this not make sense to anyone?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts