Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Drew Pomeranz Traded to the Red Sox For Anderson Espinoza!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
KLaw - "This is an absolute steal for the Padres, even acknowledging the risks attendant to any 18-year-old pitcher, and to any pitcher who's still in Low-A and probably two years from the big leagues in a best-case scenario and three to four in a reasonable one. "
Not surprised he says this, he's higher on the Red Sox system than most. I've seen the Red Sox on his top 50 list, he's way too high on Devers imo.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
Seems like a win/win for both teams. Sox need pitching now and the Padres get a potential #1 /#2 for the future. Pomeranz is having a breakout season but whether he'll be any good in the future is anyone's guess. The other question is if he can pitch in a dangerous AL East division outside of the pitching friendly Petco Park.

Either way, this appears to work for both teams. The only losers in this trade are those like AnthonyCorona who decided to invest in Espinosa.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Seems like a win/win for both teams. Sox need pitching now and the Padres get a potential #1 /#2 for the future. Pomeranz is having a breakout season but whether he'll be any good in the future is anyone's guess. The other question is if he can pitch in a dangerous AL East division outside of the pitching friendly Petco Park.

Either way, this appears to work for both teams. The only losers in this trade are those like AnthonyCorona who decided to invest in Espinosa.
He has a 48% groundball rate to go along with a 28% K rate so I'd venture a guess that the breakout is legit and can be sustained. I expect a hint of regression but still see him as a low 3 ERA pitcher with an elite strikeout rate. I love this trade based on this team having the core in place (Xander, Betts, Pede, JBJ, Hanley, Shaw, etc...) so there is a great opportunity to win a championship over the next few years.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
He has a 48% groundball rate to go along with a 28% K rate so I'd venture a guess that the breakout is legit and can be sustained. I expect a hint of regression but still see him as a low 3 ERA pitcher with an elite strikeout rate. I love this trade based on this team having the core in place (Xander, Betts, Pede, JBJ, Hanley, Shaw, etc...) so there is a great opportunity to win a championship over the next few years.

It would have cost a lot more to get Teheran so at the very least they were able to get their #1 /#2 pitcher without having to give up Benintendi or Moncada.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
It would have cost a lot more to get Teheran so at the very least they were able to get their #1 /#2 pitcher without having to give up Benintendi or Moncada.
And Pomeranz is much less likely to regress over Teheran....I don't see Teheran being a good fit at Fenway Park, after all he is on a pace for a career high in HR given up..

shadowking86

May 13, 2014
I don't know how to feel about this. I was looking forward to Espinoza rising through the Red Sox system as their best pitching prospect since Jon Lester, at least. But on the other hand, Boston needed pitching this year in order to compete. If this move leads to a World Championship, I am all for it. I just hope Eduardo Rodriguez turns his season around and becomes the pitcher he was last year. At least they still have Moncada, Benintendi, and Devers. Hopefully they don't get moved.

Members online