Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Whay are COMC sellers generally so stingy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I mean, seriously. I have never seen such a collection of penny-pinching misers. It blows my mind how many times I have made an offer and get a counter-offer that is pennies under the asking price, or pennies higher than my offer price that they won't budge on. Trying to make a $10, $20, $30, $40 purchases and a lot of these weirdos won't budge on a $.20 to $.50 difference. It's just so absurd. It's like an epidemic of strange behavior by sellers on there.

/end rant

Last edited:

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I'm just speaking generally. I can't count how many times I have made an offer that is fair on a $10+ item and get a counter-offer that is like twenty to fifty cents lower than the asking price. Or get a counter offer that is twenty to fifty cents higher than my offer? WTF? You need that extra $.20 to $.50 on a $10 to $20 sale? It's just weird behavior. Even a dollar higher than my offer is weird on a $15+ sale. If I offer someone $16 on a card they have at $20, and you come back at me with $17, you are playing a very risky game. I usually will just ignore it after that on principal. It's a freaking dollar.

Last edited:

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
I'm just speaking generally. I can't count how many times I have made an offer that is fair on a $10+ item and get a counter-offer that is like twenty cents lower than the asking price. Or get a counter offer that is twenty cents higher than my offer? WTF? You need that extra $.20 on a $10 to $20 sale? It's just weird behavior.

I do wonder if the fee structure makes that necessary...seems like with the amount of lower end stuff you have to be exact in order to not lose money.

I've never bought from COMC because I don't like the process.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
It all comes down to bottom line/profit margin. 50 cents might not seem like much to you, but if the difference between a profit and breaking even (or losing money) is 50 cents, it matters to these sellers... especially if they are selling hundreds of cards.

patrick182

Mar 23, 2010
Or how about when you place an offer and it triggers a prompt saying, "minimum offer for this item is [x]." This is really fun if x is something higher than what you have in credit. Go back, grab some credit, then come back to place the x amount as an offer and it triggers a new prompt with a minimum acceptable offer amount of something higher than x.

Awesome! Booo!

::insert thumbs down emoticon here::

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
I thought the point of COMC was by sending everything to them you don't get your profits swallowed up on single small $ cards... ?

On one hand sure, picking up a few cents could jolt the profit margin but if it's a small card it's probably on the Bay and frustrated buyers such as Sportscardtheory will leave eventually.... I suppose the sellers don't care as if COMC slows they would just go back to the Bay as well.

I haven't done any card buying in 2 years or so, how has COMC fared? has it increased in size?

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Dude almost any seller I run into acts as if every card is crazy rare. Comc and eBay are turning into a way to just show off what cards u have and fake like u wanna sell them. I've found my best deals on twitter n the last year or so. I'm planning on make a Facebook for my cards this weekend so that would be a new way to buy/sell cards.

ramunc89

May 20, 2015
What is everyone's take on Sportlots? I've found some really good deals on there on set building cards. I've noticed same thing about COMC sellers. I'm sure there not all that way. I've also really gotten frustrated w/ eBay sellers/quality of cards received. Seems like last 6 mos I've had more probs/returns for sellers sending damaged cards w/ "brand new" as condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
What is everyone's take on Sportlots? I've found some really good deals on there on set building cards. I've noticed same thing about COMC sellers. I'm sure there not all that way. I've also really gotten frustrated w/ eBay sellers/quality of cards received. Seems like last 6 mos I've had more probs/returns for sellers sending damaged cards w/ "brand new" as condition.

I deal alot with sportslots and never got burned yet. I just got about 20 cards to finish my 2016 topps chrome set from 3 different people and all cards came in a week and all were sweet looking. I love this site for finishing my Phillies sets or trying to complete a full set.

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
I am afraid to buy from COMC on e-bay. there negative feedback is alot on there. 18 just this month 120 in just the past 6 months. Why is that?

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I am afraid to buy from COMC on e-bay. there negative feedback is alot on there. 18 just this month 120 in just the past 6 months. Why is that?

Well volume for one, they're selling a ton. Most of the negatives seem to revolve around shipping charges. I'm guessing half of those are people who didn't wait for an invoice. Some are people who didn't receive their cards (probably because the consigner changed the price before it could be reflected on eBay or it was sold on the website prior). Most buyers probably aren't familiar with COMC's model. Some kinks to work out I guess. Still don't like that they moved to eBay but I'm sure their sales are making it worthwhile

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I deal alot with sportslots and never got burned yet. I just got about 20 cards to finish my 2016 topps chrome set from 3 different people and all cards came in a week and all were sweet looking. I love this site for finishing my Phillies sets or trying to complete a full set.

You can get burned on sportlots too. If you're one of those people buying brand new cards for new sets or a person who only buys a few cards at a time, you'll probably be fine. But if you buy bigger amounts or stuff to finish older sets, like with any other site, you'll run into problems. People missing cards is my biggest pet peeve. Because 9 times out of 10, that just means you sold it and were too lazy to remove it. And with older stuff people can be a little generous when it comes to what they consider "nmt".

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
I thought the point of COMC was by sending everything to them you don't get your profits swallowed up on single small $ cards... ?

On one hand sure, picking up a few cents could jolt the profit margin but if it's a small card it's probably on the Bay and frustrated buyers such as Sportscardtheory will leave eventually.... I suppose the sellers don't care as if COMC slows they would just go back to the Bay as well.

I haven't done any card buying in 2 years or so, how has COMC fared? has it increased in size?

It seems it has turned into a "I can't get $10 for this on eBay, so I'll list it on COMC for $15!" marketplace.

SportLots is still my go to place for base singles.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
So the sellers are stingy for not letting a card go for .50¢ less but you're not stingy for paying the .50¢ more?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
It seems it has turned into a "I can't get $10 for this on eBay, so I'll list it on COMC for $15!" marketplace.

SportLots is still my go to place for base singles.

hmm.... so Crusades already are asking 1k for 40 dollar cards on ebay, so on COMC should I ask 1.5k and then counteroffer 50c higher? I think Im getting the hang of it :D

ramunc89

May 20, 2015
So what IS considered NMT anymore. Received this card today and it was listed as NMT:
99db69ddc5791f5a1cbf00cfe6a24c72.jpg
9cd2e9b113d40bebf3255e86ec03a9c2.jpg
582bb2328d7bb6aeb9a6336a61cf5c61.jpg
1aeaa42998caceb7b2a16a95492fd93c.jpg

So would y'all consider this NMT or what grade would you give it? I'm really frustrated as this is the type of cards I've been getting from eBay/comc/beckett trades etc. Help!

ramunc89

May 20, 2015
Sorry pics aren't great but it's bottom right corner that is dented.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
No that is not near mint. But, and not to say this is right, it is just a base card. Good luck getting anyone to pay any real attention to the condition of those types of cards. It sucks, I've dealt with it and at times, even worse. I just don't think people care about it unless it's high dollar. Then they probably pay a little more attention to what they're selling.