Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Box O' Goodies - Who Wants to Participate?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
In other news, [MENTION=2455]Bill Menard[/MENTION] - What happens long-term with a Box O' Goodies? I'm just curious... does it eventually go to two boxes or does it always stay as one? I'm just curious... clearly there is no end, so wasn't sure if this was done once and has been going on forever in another place and how it ended up, etc.

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
I still don't see why Dan can't just get the box first in round 3, take what he wants, add what he wants, take a few extra days to get to a PO and on we go down the road...

I prefer to be a contributor and not slow it down in any way Mac. I may join down the line but for now I'm happy helping out and seeing what everyone gets. Seeing what Gary and Lance added was tempting though. I just need a couple of days to find a few cards before I can send it out to Bill. May be able to find them tonight if today goes well.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
In other news, @Bill Menard - What happens long-term with a Box O' Goodies? I'm just curious... does it eventually go to two boxes or does it always stay as one? I'm just curious... clearly there is no end, so wasn't sure if this was done once and has been going on forever in another place and how it ended up, etc.

I don't know. I didn't think about it when I started it up.

See, the original idea, to me, was to send out stuff I didn't want/need in my collection, have people pick it and take what they wanted and put some stuff back in that would be of interest to either myself or people still to receive the box, with the hope being I'd get the box back and keep the contents, of which would hopefully be the remainder of the stuff I originated the box with plus some stuff others added in that was related to my collecting likes.

Of course, things don't always work out the way you think they are going to go and people did indeed bump the value/contents of the box along the way, but most of it wasn't related to what I collect, so I ended up with a box of goodies that had very little that fit into my collection and even more that didn't fit into it than I had when I sent it out :)

So, off it went on round 2 and many people who just jumped in and said, hey, I don't want to participate, but here is stuff to add to it.

So, it continues on.

One reason I was going to split it into two on this next round was that when the boxes came back, which I was hoping would be mid-december (if there were say 6 people in each group), was that I wanted to give a bunch of it away for the holidays to members of the board as a Christmas gift from those of us in the box group. But now, as I am trying to think about all perspectives, that's probably not an idea that will be met with much support from those that have built the box up.

It cannot infinite loop between the same core group of participants. It will get ridiculously expensive to keep spending $20-30 a month to send a box around that only contains a few cards that we actually each want for ourselves.

I think it needs to be "weeded" a bit. I'm not sure how to go about that, especially with new people participating in each round because I don't want to pull stuff they may indeed want. My initial thought it to pull out any base cards that are in there and keep them out. Limit it to inserts or higher (unless it's older than 1979). I'm open to ideas. My other thought was splitting into two medium flats that have contents reflecting the interests of the people receiving it (which seemed to be met with mixed feelings in the thread). Plus, as Terry said, it's fun to go through the box and see what's in it, even if we don't necessarily want it ourselves.

Anyway, back to square one - I don't know where it is going. I'm just enjoying having fun with it - although that has been challenging at times!less!).

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
Because he refuses to ever put himself first. And I don't mean first in the shipping order of the box. He doesn't put his needs or wants in front of anyone elses.

I still don't see why Dan can't just get the box first in round 3, take what he wants, add what he wants, take a few extra days to get to a PO and on we go down the road...

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
I'm excited to look through the box. Highly unlikely that I find any PC stuff, but that's getting difficult (outside of eBay). I have contemplated a secondary PC, but unsure what. Maybe something in there will spark an interest.

-------------------------------------

Need Moustakas, Hosmer and patches.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Very cool Bill. Good thoughts and clearly the Box O' Goodies is a good thing for the board and its participants.

I'll offer up my two cents again and then just keep moving... I would either make a rule that everything that goes in and out of the Box O' Goodies has to be from/through direct participants of the Box O' Goodies OR develop a plan that "weeds" cards out from time to time (maybe after each round) to keep it to one box, etc. - this would include gifts to members, etc.

Again, there are two other threads on the board which could use help if people (A) want to help the board and (B) want to do it by donating cards and don't want anything in return... it's with the free-to-go-home thread and the upper free-to-go-home thread.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
[MENTION=3164]jbhofmann[/MENTION] - are you still interested in participating? Haven't heard from ya...

Thanks! Bill

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
[MENTION=2455]Bill Menard[/MENTION] I have an idea for after round 3 or even now before rd 3 as far as weeded down the box if other members are cool with it. you can go through the box and pull out stuff you think has been in there since the first round and maybe even some of the stuff added from round 2 that you don't think will get snagged. Add it to the free to good home thread to help out some other members that might not be able to participate in the goodie box yet as far as not being qualified or maybe their schedules don't allow for it. just ask that they pay the shipping for the items. just an idea

I know it may end up being a lot of extra shipping for you but if you don't want to do it you could send the extra stuff to me and ill do the shipping.

Last edited:

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
^^^ I think that's a great plan for the long-term of the Box O' Goodies. Just have an understanding that a weeding through process will need to take place from time to time and we'll use the free-to-go-home thread and upper thread to do it.

Apr 23, 2012
New Orleans
An outsider / lurker on this thread offering his $0.02 on what to do with it:

After it goes to the remaining folks that might find stuff, someone volunteers to photo / list the better items as a FS thread auction on the FCB baseball transaction boards. Unsold items from that thread, combined with all the low-end stuff, gets sold as a box lot on FCB or eBay if necessary.

100% of the profits go to the pediatric cancer charity that [MENTION=2002]Topnotchsy[/MENTION] was raising funds for this last weekend.

That way, all those that contributed to the box have a chance to take from it... But everything unclaimed goes to other collectors that would enjoy it, raising money for a good cause.

mmier118

Jan 29, 2010
I'm excited to look through the box. Highly unlikely that I find any PC stuff, but that's getting difficult (outside of eBay). I have contemplated a secondary PC, but unsure what. Maybe something in there will spark an interest.

Be Careful what you ask for lol, I took 8 or so 1996 leaf extended auto's out of the box and now I'm less then 10 cards away from the whole set. This set will probably lead me to doing series 1 as well. I always wanted to do these sets and it's been and continues to be a very fun project but my wallet is scared as I still have the Jeter, Puckett and Maddux to go. I've figured out that the sp's go for more then you think they would and don't pop up very often, I'm wishing I didn't pass on the Greg Maddux and Ivan Rodriguez cards that were up a month ago, I was the underbidder on both, and would have gone higher now that none are showing up.

craiger122003

Aug 7, 2008
vegas
I am beginning to wonder whats in the box. At the beginning I just assumed it was all autos and GU cards. ( My fault for assuming)
If its all base inserts etc I don't think I want in. Paying 20 bucks just to ship off base cards from person to person is not feasible for me.
If its mostly GU/Auto cards then keep me in. If not I am out. Thanks

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
I am beginning to wonder whats in the box. At the beginning I just assumed it was all autos and GU cards. ( My fault for assuming)
If its all base inserts etc I don't think I want in. Paying 20 bucks just to ship off base cards from person to person is not feasible for me.

It's a mixture of everything some base cards, inserts, refractors, rookies, #'d cards, autographs, game used, vintage even promo items & some oddball stuff. Jumbo cards, 8x10's it's a box of goodies......,,,

And if it gets back down to medium flat rate it's $12.35

Large is like $15

Last edited:

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
I'm quoting craiger's post, but this is for everyone...

I have weeded the box. It now stands as follows:
  1. About 200-250 game used and autos, many of former stars such as Bonds, Sosa, Big Unit, Maddux, Glavine, Chipper, Thome, Thomas, Gwynn, Clemens, Texeira (beatiful UD Reflections Auto/Jersey #'d /15), etc... I can't remember every name I saw, but most are former stars/semistars and are players that are often collected. Not really a bunch of commons... I'd take them all if I actually collected all these players/teams, but I don't.
  2. Approximately 800 inserts (both serial and non-serial #'d) from the late 90's - current day.
  3. A 500 ct box of refractors, vintage (pre-1985 and most from 75-79 - it's all beat to hell though), and some football/basketball randomness.
  4. Some oddball goodies - oversized cards, programs, poker chips, other oddities, the ginters Lance added and a few 52 Bowman cards.

Couple other things to mention:

1. It is pretty much currently depleted of Redsox stuff, but I think I was the only person so far on the list of participants that collects them, so no biggie there.
  2. All base cards have been removed, except for some rookies.
  3. There isn't much in terms of Bowman Chrome, Bowman Draft, etc., though there are a bunch of refractors from these products, there are slim pickings on autographs, etc. from products such as this.
  4. I pulled out any cards I started the original box off with that were still in there after two rounds.

I have not tried to pack this yet, as there is more coming from several people. I'm not going to say who or what, but I anticpate there will be some great items added as I know the reps of those sending and they are quite generous. However, my guess is that I can get this back into a medium flat rate. Also, you NEVER know what others are going to add/remove, so this all could change quickly. Hell, the first person who gets the box could completely change the content.

But this all part of what makes it so fun. Let's also say that base, unless of rookies, should not be put into the box going forward. Let's assume we are all collectors who are beyond needing them for our collections, unless they are harder to come by products (Museum Collection, Exquisite, Triple Threads, Topps Sterling, etc.). I understand they add variety to the content, and some poeple might want to start a player collection if there were a good chunk of a particular player in the box, but they take up too much room. If on the other hand, the box has a lot of room, feel free to fill it with whatever you want, but if the next person to receive the box needs room to upgrade the contents, they should feel free to pull base cards out to make the room.

Last edited:

james5348

Feb 2, 2009
well I have some goodies I have been saving to put into the box for sure. do we know the order of who gets it first and so on?

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
I'm quoting craiger's post, but this is for everyone...

I have weeded the box. It now stands as follows:
  1. About 200-250 game used and autos, many of former stars such as Bonds, Sosa, Big Unit, Maddux, Glavine, Chipper, Thome, Thomas, Gwynn, Clemens, Texeira (beatiful UD Reflections Auto/Jersey #'d /15), etc... I can't remember every name I saw, but most are former stars/semistars and are players that are often collected. Not really a bunch of commons... I'd take them all if I actually collected all these players/teams, but I don't.
  2. Approximately 800 inserts (both serial and non-serial #'d) from the late 90's - current day.
  3. A 500 ct box of refractors, vintage (pre-1985 and most from 75-79 - it's all beat to hell though), and some football/basketball randomness.
  4. Some oddball goodies - oversized cards, programs, poker chips, other oddities, the ginters Lance added and a few 52 Bowman cards.

Couple other things to mention:

1. It is pretty much currently depleted of Redsox stuff, but I think I was the only person so far on the list of participants that collects them, so no biggie there.
  2. All base cards have been removed, except for some rookies.
  3. There isn't much in terms of Bowman Chrome, Bowman Draft, etc., though there are a bunch of refractors from these products, there are slim pickings on autographs, etc. from products such as this.
  4. I pulled out any cards I started the original box off with that were still in there after two rounds.

I have not tried to pack this yet, as there is more coming from several people. I'm not going to say who or what, but I anticpate there will be some great items added as I know the reps of those sending and they are quite generous. However, my guess is that I can get this back into a medium flat rate. Also, you NEVER know what others are going to add/remove, so this all could change quickly. Hell, the first person who gets the box could completely change the content.

But this all part of what makes it so fun. Let's also say that base, unless of rookies, should not be put into the box going forward. Let's assume we are all collectors who are beyond needing them for our collections, unless they are harder to come by products (Museum Collection, Exquisite, Triple Threads, Topps Sterling, etc.). I understand they add variety to the content, and some poeple might want to start a player collection if there were a good chunk of a particular player in the box, but they take up too much room. If on the other hand, the box has a lot of room, feel free to fill it with whatever you want, but if the next person to receive the box needs room to upgrade the contents, they should feel free to pull base cards out to make the room.

Feel free to put in as many Andre Dawson and Drew Brees base cards as you desire and I will be sure to take them all out when the box makes it my way :D

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
An outsider / lurker on this thread offering his $0.02 on what to do with it:

After it goes to the remaining folks that might find stuff, someone volunteers to photo / list the better items as a FS thread auction on the FCB baseball transaction boards. Unsold items from that thread, combined with all the low-end stuff, gets sold as a box lot on FCB or eBay if necessary.

100% of the profits go to the pediatric cancer charity that @Topnotchsy was raising funds for this last weekend.

That way, all those that contributed to the box have a chance to take from it... But everything unclaimed goes to other collectors that would enjoy it, raising money for a good cause.
[MENTION=7246]bobthewondercat77[/MENTION] I can't tell you how much this would mean. This thread includes some of the most generous people on the boards and while it would be a logistical challenge if people are willing to consider it, I would definitely look to find a way to express my thanks (possibly in the form of a raffle of a nice card or the like). I don't know who to direct this at but it would be incredible if people considered this.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Bill what does the line-up look like for round three and what kind of timing do you think we're looking at?

No rush, just curious.

Mac