Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

what to do with all the cards?!?!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SlackRabbit

Jan 10, 2015
Obviously when you open wax, you're 'burdened' with tons of cards that aren't 'hits'. I do keep a few base/parallels, etc.. but the majority i have no interest in. Whats the best way to get rid of them. For example i have a 2014 Archives rainbow/silver foil of Joe Mauer /99. Theres one on ebay for $4.99 that consistently doesnt sell. It's not exactly worth listing on ebay for me, especially after fees. Still worth a few bucks, especially when youve got dozens if not hundreds of 2-5 dollar cards floating around.

Ive heard of COMC, are any of you guys experienced with it? From what i can gather is you set up an account, and then send cards in? they scan them and then list them on their site for you? Is it worth messing with for stuff like that? I figured i'd ask some people that are experienced with it, rather than just giving it a try

SlackRabbit

Jan 10, 2015
What kind of volume are we talking about?

i have a 900 count box overflowing with cards like that. probably 300-400 cards total. Also have some stacks scattered around. most would be cards you'd find in a fiddy cent or dollar box, but theres several that would be in the 3-5 range. Parallels, numbered cards, colored chrome refractors, inserts, star base cards (jeter, ruth, ripken, russell wilson, tom brady etc) hot RCs (few trouts, abreu, tanaka, bryant, odell beckham) most are in penny sleeves. I also have some high end base (triple threads, five-star) some of which are numbered, but not high caliber players.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Are you looking to maximize profit, supplement your card budget, or just clear space? If your into breaking a lot I'd send them to COMC and set bargain prices to keep them moving and send them shipments every few months to restock. Otherwise if your looking to clear space and happily accept whatever you can get I'd sort into team lots and let them ride at auction as long as your shipping is covered

jeff_bichel

Nov 4, 2010
Houston, Texas
I often sell lots of inserts and lower end hits on here. Just quote enough of a price to cover your time and shipping and list them as a blind lot
with just a few examples of the type and year of the cards. If it's anything over 20 or 30 bucks then you are probably just wasting time because
this board seems to be all about very good pricing.

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
I give mine away to a children's hospital.

That being said, search the old threads. This topic comes up pretty regularly.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
sure would be nice if people gave away base on FCB just for the price of postage and the paypal payment receive fee. That would be a good way to help fellow FCB'ers finish up the base set when only 25 or fewer cards are needed.

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
sure would be nice if people gave away base on FCB just for the price of postage and the paypal payment receive fee. That would be a good way to help fellow FCB'ers finish up the base set when only 25 or fewer cards are needed.

I know lots of people (including me - as a sender and receiver) have helped fellow members to complete a set. If you know who has a common interest it is usually pretty easy to find what you are looking for.

Makes me wonder if a "Wanted" thread (for free, after shipping). Sort of similar to the Free to a Good Home thread but one in which people can ask for something.

theacox

Jan 19, 2013
I know lots of people (including me - as a sender and receiver) have helped fellow members to complete a set. If you know who has a common interest it is usually pretty easy to find what you are looking for.

Makes me wonder if a "Wanted" thread (for free, after shipping). Sort of similar to the Free to a Good Home thread but one in which people can ask for something.

I am part of something like this on another site and it works very well. There is a small group of set collectors there who are really happy and very active, including myself. I would love to join this if we have one here. I have a bunch of set needs and a bunch that need a home.

Keyser Soze

Nov 9, 2010
The Woodlands, TX

I agree, in theory, but it isn't practical to sit for hours creating a list of 300-400 cards to sell a small percentage of them for a few bucks. I've never sold on COMC, but it seems like it'd be the route to take.

sabrgeek

Apr 10, 2010
You can always donate them to me to give away at our shows at the Synagogue. We provide tax receipt sheets and these cards end up back in collectors (and as many kids as we can get) hands :)

PM me for details (and that goes for anyone else who wishes to donate)

Members online

Latest posts