Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Current Works in Progress basic Player sets PSA Graded Harper, Trout, Strawberry, Ryan, others

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rexvos

Aug 24, 2008
As a way of introduction, I am a long time collector. Some here may know me from various message boards in the past. I collect many different things, but I love basic rcs the most. I have nothing against autograph cards or patch cards, but not my focus. I am a fan of history so I like to collect playing days issues of the players I like in high grade. About 6 months ago I returned to the hobby with more of a focus to start a few PCs of current baseball greats and begin working on their basic sets in high grade. Also I decided to take a couple of my past favorites and work on them as well. So I renewed my dormant PSA membership and began a healthy dose of submissions. I have cheated on a few of these and bought a few already stabbed but most of these are from my own submissions.

I'll start with current players, only PSA 10s, I have several 9s and below that did not make the cut

Clayton Kershaw

Topps (2014-2016 in grading)
image.jpg9_zpsndlklc4d.jpg

Heritage
image.jpg10_zpsewbifuef.jpg

Others
image.jpg11_zpsbnec7cli.jpg

Mike Trout

Topps (2015-2016 in grading)
image.jpg5_zpsptgqyv84.jpg

Bowman
image.jpg7_zpszjawncsc.jpg

Finest
image.jpg6_zpsm65ya1ib.jpg

Heritage
image.jpg8_zps1bq9k5bi.jpg

Bryce Harper
Topps
image.jpg1_zpsjwg3npcw.jpg

image.jpg2_zpstyq2b0nh.jpg

Finest
image.jpg3_zps8ntkevfw.jpg

Bowman
image.jpg4_zpsdd5rwflr.jpg

Kris Bryant I have heritage and variation in grading
image.jpg15_zpsou7j30po.jpg

image.jpg16_zpsh4k8loo5.jpg

Carlos Correa
image.jpg14_zps4ajfjrbq.jpg

Retired
1988-89 Craig Biggio issues
image.jpg17_zpslefpizrm.jpg

image.jpg18_zpsombsr8xr.jpg

Darryl Strawberry all non 10s will be upgraded

Topps
image.jpg19_zpsdw8yvnsu.jpg

image.jpg20_zpslehuvoox.jpg

Donruss
image.jpg21_zpscjdnsgjm.jpg

image.jpg22_zpspeqlzxyh.jpg

Fleer
image.jpg23_zpsif57fr55.jpg

image.jpg24_zps3vzicu0j.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsplqwqc5r.jpg

image.jpg26_zpszwyliuyx.jpg

Other
image.jpg27_zpstwfliido.jpg

And one set I just started have a few in grading, my all time favorite player

Nolan Ryan
image.jpg

image.jpg13_zpsysiwxj0y.jpg

image.jpg12_zpse3buxyit.jpg

thanks for looking!

Last edited:

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Welcome! Absolutely love what you've got going there and love the appreciation of good old fashion baseball cards!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rexvos

Aug 24, 2008
Welcome! Absolutely love what you've got going there and love the appreciation of good old fashion baseball cards!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I would love to add Roberto Clemente or Mickey Mantle but just too much $$$ because I hate buying low grade cards. I do have a nice 72 Topps Clemente in grading, and may add a few of him here and there. Besides the Nolan Ryan set my favorite set to work on is the Kershaw Heritage

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Welcome aboard!

Great collection and way to jump in strong!

Fordman

Sell me your Jay Bruce cards!

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
Welcome to the forum! Awesome collection. I received the last card I needed in the mail yesterday to take over the #1 ranking for the All Time Finest Andre Dawson Basic Topps registry

rexvos

Aug 24, 2008
Welcome to the forum! Awesome collection. I received the last card I needed in the mail yesterday to take over the #1 ranking for the All Time Finest Andre Dawson Basic Topps registry
Now that is strong! What was the clincher? I can only aspire to the top 50 in Nolan. I did make a purchase this am on a card that popped up this am, nice bonus with 4x eBay bucks that I am excited about. I love working on the basic Topps sets. I have completed several in football, and just started Elway and Singletarty. If I can power through Nolan quick enough I will probably begin work on another 80s star like Dale Murphy or Ryne Sandberg

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
Now that is strong! What was the clincher? I can only aspire to the top 50 in Nolan. I did make a purchase this am on a card that popped up this am, nice bonus with 4x eBay bucks that I am excited about. I love working on the basic Topps sets. I have completed several in football, and just started Elway and Singletarty. If I can power through Nolan quick enough I will probably begin work on another 80s star like Dale Murphy or Ryne Sandberg

Believe it or not it was the 1985 Topps that I was missing to complete the set. A PSA 9 recently popped up on eBay with a BIN so I quickly grabbed it. I have the whole set in PSA 10 except the 85 and the 86 which are both PSA 9. I'm going to start working on other Andre Dawson registries now, maybe the Master Topps

rexvos

Aug 24, 2008
Believe it or not it was the 1985 Topps that I was missing to complete the set. A PSA 9 recently popped up on eBay with a BIN so I quickly grabbed it. I have the whole set in PSA 10 except the 85 and the 86 which are both PSA 9. I'm going to start working on other Andre Dawson registries now, maybe the Master Topps
1986 Topps are notoriously tough to find Psa 10s, I just recently bought a vending box, I will check for Andre's if one looks like it has a shot at a 10 I will sub. I would suggest knocking off his fleer / Donruss playing days cards I love 84-87 fleer and 84-85 Donruss. Really sharp sets slabbed

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
1986 Topps are notoriously tough to find Psa 10s, I just recently bought a vending box, I will check for Andre's if one looks like it has a shot at a 10 I will sub. I would suggest knocking off his fleer / Donruss playing days cards I love 84-87 fleer and 84-85 Donruss. Really sharp sets slabbed

I wish PSA did registries for other brands like they do for Topps. I had a shot at an 86 PSA 10 awhile ago and I thought the seller was asking too much based on the Dawson market which I know pretty well. What I wasn't aware of was the 86 PSA set collectors market and someone hit the BIN button for the card and I was floored, but a lesson learned.

rexvos

Aug 24, 2008
I wish PSA did registries for other brands like they do for Topps. I had a shot at an 86 PSA 10 awhile ago and I thought the seller was asking too much based on the Dawson market which I know pretty well. What I wasn't aware of was the 86 PSA set collectors market and someone hit the BIN button for the card and I was floored, but a lesson learned.
Yep 86s are tough. They do Fleer in basketball if requested, I would just work on a showcase, since Basic Topps do not include Traded / Update sets, I do separate showcases for the players I collect

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I like this idea and have considered it myself. How do you determine which current guys and young guys make the cut?

rexvos

Aug 24, 2008
I like this idea and have considered it myself. How do you determine which current guys and young guys make the cut?
Kershaw is my current favorite player
Trout is a generational talent and Harper and Correa have the ability to be as well
Bryant is playing in a market that if he wins consistently he can be viewed with Mantle-esque esteem

Members online