Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

SF Giants talk and collecting thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
Belt back to the DL with reoccurring concussion symptoms. :(

Well, that's one way to get Morse's clank-mit out of left field.

They must have figured something was up, because though Duffy got optioned yesterday morning, he stayed with the team and traveled with them to KC.

I hope Belt is ok. Wondering if they should get a CAT scan on him - I'd be worried if he has concussion symptoms still!

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
He looks good right now, but...

Emmanuel Burriss 2008:
first 132 pa: .291/.349/.342

Joe Panik 2014:
first 133 pa: .295/.346/.344
this is true, i just like panik's approach at the plate and his patience a lot (especially more than Burris).

Did you know he's batting over .300 in AAA for Washington now haha?

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
Baseball Card Night came and went, does anyone have any spare copies of the Meulens/Kelly/Flannery card?

No spares, sorry. I bought 1 set on Ebay the other day. It was missing card #7 , unfortunately. The pitchers are listed in alphabetical order and are in front of the set. Card #7 is between Hudson and Lincecum, so the missing card is either David Huff or George Kontos. I'm not sure when they finalized the checklist.

Juan Perez made it into the set though. His first MLB card. So now I can replace the 2009 Augusta Greenjackets minor league card i had for him in my "rookie card" collection.

2014 Topps Coca-Cola Giants Team SGA Juan Perez
2014Perez.jpg

Speaking of my rookie card collection, a few recent additions:
2001 Topps Fusion Jake Peavy auto
2009 Elite Extra Edition Brandon Belt Status auto #/50
2012 Salem Keizer Volcanoes Matt Duffy (no MLB cards yet)

2001Peavy.jpg2009Belt.jpg2012Duffy-milb.jpg

seitas

Aug 7, 2008

Emmanuel Burriss 2008:

Joe Panik 2014:

I believe panik is a better hitter. He squares up more balls, is more balanced, has a better approach and seems like he could grow into a gap to gap doubles guy. Burriss was a Punch and Judy with no ceiling, speed was his only redeeming tool and even with that he wasn't a great base runner. Panik is an everyday second baseman. He has been a good hitter at every level he's ever played. Plus he's got will the thrills endorsement. Be glad we didn't sell what little we have on the farm to bring in an utley or Daniel Murphy. I'm not saying panik is better than those guys but he's stability at a position that has been a revolving door for years.

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
Wow. I figured the Brewers were gonna pound the Giants. Instead the Giants stomped the Brewers 13-2, 3-1, and 15-5.

Up next:
4 @ Rockies
3 @ Tigers
3 v D-Backs
3 v Dodgers
3 @ D-Backs
3 @ Padres
3 @ Dodgers
4 v Padres

Giants are riding into September on a 6 game win-streak, the WC lead and just 2.5 behind the Dodgers for the West.

Looks like September might be worth watching after all.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
Go Giants - is there a rain delay at the game today?

I'm loving how Panik and Susac are doing with more playing time. While they might not be flashy players, they are consistent ball players. What I like best about Panik is that he doesn't have many prolonged slumps - he generally gets a hit or a walk every game.

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal

Emmanuel Burriss 2008:

Joe Panik 2014:

Since I posted that on August 21, here's what Panik has done:

August 22 to present: .386/.419/.500.

Crazy. It'd be awesome if he keeps it up through the rest of the year.

seitas

Aug 7, 2008
Since I posted that on August 21, here's what Panik has done:

August 22 to present: .386/.419/.500.

Crazy. It'd be awesome if he keeps it up through the rest of the year.

yeah, shame on you for mentioning him with burriss. He along with posey has been the difference for this team. I think panik is a future all-star who could flirt with some batting titles. Before I sound like too much of a homer I will say he is likely a perennial .280 hitter who can reach .310-.320 in a big year. His approach at the plate is comparable to posey and his bat control is freakish.
Lets sweep the dodgers this weekend!

seitas

Aug 7, 2008
LOL. I've had a long time to develop my skepticism of hot starts.

Joe Panik looks like he's the first decent home-grown 2nd baseman since Robby Thompson.

Agreed. Nothing like a 30 year gap in development at a position.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
im loving paniks production! I had to pick up a gold refractor and base chrome auto of his!

Also if anyone is interested, I now have (3) Lincecum Gold Refractor RCs and one is available. Thought I'd let the giants collectors know

Latest posts