Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2014 Leaf Cal Ripken Ironman Signature Collection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
I don't get why you guys are bashing this product. Let's analyze this. You get 2 auto's in the box, 1 is a sticker auto, go ahead and sell that one for between $40-50 (that's where I bet they settle). That leaves you with a PSA Slab that all appear to be on card. You are getting a PSA slabbed Ripken auto for 40-50 bucks with a chance to pull a much more expensive card. This is a no brainer.

I think you're assuming a lot here, Look where Pete Roses sticker autos from the Leaf product "settled", you can buy sealed boxes of the product for $15 now. Dumping a couple thousand unlicensed sticker autos into an already saturated Ripken auto market means a $20-$30 Leaf sticker auto, not a $50 one. 99% of the "buybacks" are Ripken autos on $5 or less base releases. No brainer, I think not. Hopefully all this stuff settles in Maryland, because it'll be a weak seller everywhere else.

tunahead

May 17, 2009
Austin,TX
With more and more Ripken autos out there and so many better choices, his Leaf autos are lucky to hit $50. Take his Leaf Sports Heroes auto for example. It often sells for around $35 and a few copies have even sold under $30. The sticker autos in this set will all be so similar that I can't see them selling much better. Ultimately, this set is all about the slabbed PSA auto. I think it's a good product if you are looking to have some fun and pick up a couple of Ripken autos, but if I collected Ripken, I would just stick to singles. The sticker autos are rather bland and any slabbed PSA auto could already be picked up on the secondary market.

Agree with everything you said. As a Ripken collector, I have 0 interest in this product.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
You could easily get $60 per Ripken auto, plus you could easily get another $30-$40 of Ripken cards/parallels... Easilly! Leaf is easily giving money away! It's impossible to lose money on this!

hahahahaha another one is born.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
If this was called "topps cal ripken collection" with an Srp of $200, the hobby would get a hard on.

But put "leaf" on it at half price and it's XXXXX fest 2014

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
People will buy it, no doubt about that. Will Leaf make their money back? I'm sure they will. Will it encourage more of the same? Yes. Is that what collectors want now? Maybe it is…or maybe that is what we will tolerate. Collectors' money talks, but if it isn't talking loud enough, the card makers don't listen.

I think the crappy, non-licensed stuff that has come out in recent years is all junk. No logos has ALWAYS looked terrible. Thankfully for the card makers, I and many others like me don't buy new releases anymore. The "value" just isn't there anymore, not that it ever was for me. I just got sucked into the lottery aspect like many did. Unless you beat the odds, you have a pile of base cards, a few inserts and maybe an auto or gu card that lose value most of the time as they age. Heck, sometimes I look at 90s junk wax boxes at $10 and think it would be fun to rip it, but even then you probably won't have $5 worth of cards when you are done and those boxes sold for $40+ when they were new! The fun of the search just isn't worth it to me. I'd rather buy the singles I want and know I will get something I want for that money.

I think the cards with no logos, team names and airbrushing, regardless of how nicely they may have been done, are substandard. This is obviously a way for non-license holders to continue to play the game, but the quality isn't there. The buybacks are one cool item, but after a while those will get stale too, especially if the only way they are different from a TTM/IP card of the same type is if they are slabbed or have some minor marking on them (for example, the Topps 75th buybacks).

I am a sucker though and will buy just about any Garvey if the price is right. Yep, I bought all three of the newest Leaf autographed Garvey buybacks (1985-87, all #'d to 6). The secondary market gets my money for that stuff though, not Topps, Leaf, UD, etc.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
I'm considering getting some but I too am concerned with the market. Only the rookie Ripken stuff gets enough money on the market to justify the price tag of the boxes it seems and without knowing what "other" PSA slabs are in there I'm hesitant to get in on this. I would think any Ripken auto should get $30+, but we need to know more about the content of the boxes and the "checklist" for the PSA slabs before thinking this is a winner. If it's a ton of '88 Topps and '88 Donruss slabs, no thanks.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
That's how I saw it!!!
My competitors pay $60 per signature for Cal..

Obviously, by using stickers on original content I was able to make a deal that provides extreme value.
BG
Leaf dude, you've been Gwynn545ed!
Judging from his usual posts, I think Gwynn545 is being sarcastic, not praising your product.

All In Cards

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
I am seeing July. But no exact date

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Freedom Card Board mobile app

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Saw a upcoming release notice from a online dealer and it says release date is October 10, 2014 so
that means this week when the great Ripken Jr. auto flood hits the hobby!

Apr 23, 2012
New Orleans
If this was called "topps cal ripken collection" with an Srp of $200, the hobby would get a hard on.

But put "leaf" on it at half price and it's XXXXX fest 2014

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

I agree that Leaf gets a heaping helping of flak here, but people kvetch about everything that Topps releases too. Just a generally kvetchy culture on card message boards these days, people are looking for too much IMO

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts