Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Interesting mail...and a question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

katieneack

Apr 7, 2012
Northern Kentucky
I'm still waiting on my 2011 Museum collection and 2011 Triple Threads autos of Barry Larkin to be filled. Been well over a year now. I have several and spent over $1K on them. If they can't fill them, they should refund the money I spent buying them. I obviously don't want replacements since I don't collect anything but his cards. I do understand the need for redemptions, especially with people wanting on-card autos now. In order for products to be released on time, it is a necessary evil. I just wish they would make it more of a priority to follow through on them.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
I'm still waiting on my 2011 Museum collection and 2011 Triple Threads autos of Barry Larkin to be filled. Been well over a year now. I have several and spent over $1K on them. If they can't fill them, they should refund the money I spent buying them. I obviously don't want replacements since I don't collect anything but his cards. I do understand the need for redemptions, especially with people wanting on-card autos now. In order for products to be released on time, it is a necessary evil. I just wish they would make it more of a priority to follow through on them.
They've long sine gotten the money that was spent on the product, so whats their motivation to prioritize this?

katieneack

Apr 7, 2012
Northern Kentucky
They've long sine gotten the money that was spent on the product, so whats their motivation to prioritize this?

The motivation would be that I am probably not the only one that has stopped buying redemption cards until they are actually redeemed. And judging by the complaints I hear from everyone, I am definitely not the only one. I passed on some Larkin redemptions from other products since. The more people doing this, the less money the casebusters are getting back on their sales. It has nothing to do with this product - it is about the profitability of future products.

But I know they will not see it that way, so I have just stopped buying redemptions so I don't end up getting screwed. Oh well, it is what it is I guess.

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
The motivation would be that I am probably not the only one that has stopped buying redemption cards until they are actually redeemed. And judging by the complaints I hear from everyone, I am definitely not the only one. I passed on some Larkin redemptions from other products since. The more people doing this, the less money the casebusters are getting back on their sales. It has nothing to do with this product - it is about the profitability of future products.

But I know they will not see it that way, so I have just stopped buying redemptions so I don't end up getting screwed. Oh well, it is what it is I guess.

Is it ok to blame Barry Larkin for not signing them?

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009

Passing on redemptions isn't going to hurt Topps feelings at all. As ChasHawk stated they already made their money. Case breakers are always going to buy the products so nothing will ever change.

Last edited:

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
That's a ridiculous statement. They wouldn't be in business without customers. Sure, they could do better, but to say they don't care is a fallacy. I think being the only game in town has made them lackidasical.

If we want this redemption and replacement nonsense to stop, we all need to band together and be heard. A multi-chatboard petition should be started, with collectors vowing not to buy any Topps product that contains redemptions. If enough collectors signed it and followed through on their threat, Topps would be forced to change. I'll sign!

Then everyone would complain about poor checklists...

Even if they managed to then fix poor checklists, products would take so long to put together as a result that people would complain about lack of new product.

The only thing that always remains consistent is the complaining - people can't help it!

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
That is hilarious [MENTION=1845]gracecollector[/MENTION]

Sent from my XT907 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

carlitoson

Aug 7, 2008
Well as I thought, I didn't get a return phone call Friday. I got the "suck it up, big boy" email instead confirming what I (we) suspected:

"To Our Valued Customers,
Firstly, we want to express our deepest thanks for your continued interest in and support of Topps products. It is only through your support that this great hobby can continue to thrive in today’s ever-changing world.
As you know, we here at Topps have made a concerted effort to decrease the total number of redemption cards found in our product, as well as push for signings and production of cards that are currently incomplete. Unfortunately, due to the wide array of factors that can influence the timeframe in which a particular card can be made, many of these redemption cards have been on hold for far longer than we would ever like to see.
After careful consideration, with our customers in mind, we decided to have replacement cards sent for redemptions that have remained unfinished. To do this, we used active and retired player autographs in our current inventory, and applied them to special cards created specifically for this purpose. These cards are not available in stores, in packs, or in any kind of set. They have been printed as part of a unique production run, devised especially for you and others that have been so patient in waiting. The card(s) you have received will effectively replace the original card, or cards, you had redeemed.
We would like to deeply apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused, and sincerely hope that these cards are valued additions to your collection.

Sincerely,
Topps Customer Service Team"

Hilarious (and ridiculous). Whoever thought this was a good idea should be fired IMO.

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
Well I must be the only one here who gets great customer servis from Topps. They never let me down. When I send things back to be replaced I always get it back within 1-2 weeks topps. I do have issues with some of there products but as far as there customer servis goes they take good care of me. Once I had a redemption that sat for 6 months. It was a 2 dollar auto so I figured id try for a phillies replacement. I called and told them replace it with a Phillies and they sent me this:
HAMELSCOLE1.jpg

Well as I thought, I didn't get a return phone call Friday. I got the "suck it up, big boy" email instead confirming what I (we) suspected:

"To Our Valued Customers,
Firstly, we want to express our deepest thanks for your continued interest in and support of Topps products. It is only through your support that this great hobby can continue to thrive in today’s ever-changing world.
As you know, we here at Topps have made a concerted effort to decrease the total number of redemption cards found in our product, as well as push for signings and production of cards that are currently incomplete. Unfortunately, due to the wide array of factors that can influence the timeframe in which a particular card can be made, many of these redemption cards have been on hold for far longer than we would ever like to see.
After careful consideration, with our customers in mind, we decided to have replacement cards sent for redemptions that have remained unfinished. To do this, we used active and retired player autographs in our current inventory, and applied them to special cards created specifically for this purpose. These cards are not available in stores, in packs, or in any kind of set. They have been printed as part of a unique production run, devised especially for you and others that have been so patient in waiting. The card(s) you have received will effectively replace the original card, or cards, you had redeemed.
We would like to deeply apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused, and sincerely hope that these cards are valued additions to your collection.

Sincerely,
Topps Customer Service Team"

Hilarious (and ridiculous). Whoever thought this was a good idea should be fired IMO.

Told you they dont care.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
If you're buying redemption cards...you're asking for heartache.

Pulling a redemption, that's bad luck...but paying for them...it's all on you.

I would trust a Leaf redemption...but no other company.

carlitoson

Aug 7, 2008
If you're buying redemption cards...you're asking for heartache...

I agree. It was purchased (along with the other 3 Pedro Alvarez redemptions I have) 2 years ago however. It's the old saying..."If I knew then what I know now".
What rubs me the wrong way is the fact they took it upon themselves to send me something I have no interest in with ZERO input from me and thinking it's all good. I disagree with that. Hopefully someone there will be willing to work with me to find a solution I'm happier with.

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
I agree. It was purchased (along with the other 3 Pedro Alvarez redemptions I have) 2 years ago however. It's the old saying..."If I knew then what I know now".
What rubs me the wrong way is the fact they took it upon themselves to send me something I have no interest in with ZERO input from me and thinking it's all good. I disagree with that. Hopefully someone there will be willing to work with me to find a solution I'm happier with.

Upper deck and I had it out once a few years back. I contacted the BBB Better Buisness Bureau and they got it all set right for me.

rickey5191

May 24, 2011
They need to do what they used to do and just make less sets. They could make one low end and one high end set. Fewer sets would certainly give them time to get all the autos needed.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I think the card in question could end up being pretty sought after. It not being available in any other form and the numbering does make it rare.

As far as redemptions, it's always been a joke. I agree it would kill some of the checklists but hey...hasn't it already? What's the difference in not having the cards in the products at all or having a 50/50 chance(or way less in some cases) of ever getting the card on the checklist? So instead of buying a product where you know what you're getting, you're buying a product where you might get something or maybe not? That's kinda stupid. And topps has zero reason to push the athletes. Zero. The way they figure it, they can send crappy replacements and if they ever do get the stickers or cards back signed, they can go into future products or for future redemptions. I'd trust leaf because they have something to prove. Topps and even panini or UD doesn't.

I understand what brian said about not paying athletes or suing them for contract breech should they refuse to sign in a timely manner. But you'd think with topps being mlb's choice, they'd take care of topps and kinda, you know...not make their chosen manufacturer and it's products look like a joke. Like it does now.

I say if redemptions can't be done away with, then do something to ensure thru get fulfilled. If the athletes can't live up to the contract then they need to be held liable like the other 6 billion people on this planet.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Why cant the card compainies go to theplayers, and tell them that they are under contact, and by contract they have to sign the damn cards?? Its not that hard!!

Brian(leaf) says that doing that is basically burning bridges. And in the long run the athlete may just not sign anything else for your future products or worse yet, go to a competitor. But there still has to be a way topps can get together with MLB and do something about this. The reason they haven't is because nobody has pushed the envelope far enough to force topps' hand. As long as people keep busting wax... why change it?

Members online