Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Do any of you catalog your collection?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
Hey guys,

I've wanted to do it for a while, but last week, and 4.5 hours later I cataloged my entire Hank Greenberg collection, using several criteria to sort by. It's nice to get everything into one document, I'm sure I'm way behind the curve on this one, but it's gratifying to see everything in perspective.

I've attached my link to the Google Drive doc if you guys are interested in viewing it.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8h7EOOBT6-Tb05mUDdIcVpLVlE/edit

If you guys feel comfortable sharing yours here, please do! I'd like to see how others have done it, may provide some inspiration.

Thanks, and enjoy

Brian

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I'm working on cataloguing all my cards on Zistle.com. What I really like about the website is that your list is fully sortable as well as searchable by keyword. You can indicate which cards are available for trade, and mark cards you don't have as "wanted". The trading system on Zistle is top notch.

My collection is at www.zistle.com/olerud363

- Rodrick

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I use to keep an excel spread sheet of all my graded stuff, but that just became to cumbersome.

SteelBrad

Mar 2, 2013
I included price paid in my spread sheet, just hid it for security purposes :)

Great idea. But I'm thinking I would get a little disappointed looking at what I paid for some of my cards. Even my PC stuff. Lol

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
Great idea. But I'm thinking I would get a little disappointed looking at what I paid for some of my cards. Even my PC stuff. Lol
I had an idea of what I spent, but I honestly couldn't remember everything. And I've been lucky to have gotten some amazing gifts from the generous FCB crew on some higher end items

SteelBrad

Mar 2, 2013
I had an idea of what I spent, but I honestly couldn't remember everything. And I've been lucky to have gotten some amazing gifts from the generous FCB crew on some higher end items

Oh of course. I'm just talking about the times I've spent upwards if $60 for a Sean Burnett 1/1. Haha

I may be thinking of someone else, but back in the day did you collect Lastings Milledge?

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
Oh of course. I'm just talking about the times I've spent upwards if $60 for a Sean Burnett 1/1. Haha

I may be thinking of someone else, but back in the day did you collect Lastings Milledge?
HA, yes I did. I was going thru everything last week and found some randoms in there. Worth nothing now, luckily I wasn't invested more than like $50

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
i just catalog my autos/relics in an excel spreadsheet (but don't note price paid as some of you said you do).

I used to catalog every card - early 1980's were handwritten on notebook paper, mid 80's when I learned to touchtype and cataloged each card while I sat in front of my typewriter to type out the card number and name. Apparently gave up around 1990 because I must have thought the whole exercise was stupid and was burning through typewriter ribbons or I just acquired too many sets and didn't have the time to catalog them.

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
I use an excel sheet. i find it helps me to stay organized but also I like making spreadsheets :)

I track quite a few things, mostly so i can sort the data and be able to quickly answer non-trivial questions like "How many cards so you have of your PC player that are serial numbered to their jersey number?"

joking aside, here is what i track:
1) Year / Card set / Card number
2) Player name
3) Raw or graded - if graded, list label or cert number, subgrades, etc.
4) Print run or serial number - allows me to sort by everything /25 or less, or with print run 100 or less, etc.
5) Special characteristics - on-card auto, sticker auto, IP auto, GU
6) Team - can see how many cards I have of Pedro in a Sox uni or Expos uni
7) Other - do i have a scan? is the card a duplicate?

i dont think all of that data is required, just sharing what I track.

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
^Forgot, I also track price and month purchases.

this is primarily in case I want to resell in the future i know what I have invested. I track month really to see how prices fluctuate over time in cases where I may have duplicates.

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
What's the significance of the price column on yours?
They are the NM and EX prices from the SGC Baseball Catalog. It gives a reference on pricing. I list all the cards and prices when I first start a set, then refer to price sheet when looking to bid.
I keep the amount I spent and a summation, to know how much I put into the set and to help me keep up with my spending.
DANNY

Last edited:

OscarOne

Jan 15, 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
I am pretty proud of the system that I have for my autographs.

My system is great because my items get a serial number as I add them, and it goes into the box. No alphabetizing, or having to pull out an old box to file a new item.

OK. This may sound confusing, but it is really, really simple.

-All of my items that I collect fit into one of three sized boxes: Shoes boxes, index card boxes or lawyer boxes (just a plain box). Each type of box is given a letter. Shoe boxes are "A1", "A2" etc; index cards boxes are "B1", "B2" ect; regular box is "C1", "C2", ect.

-For the shoe boxes and index card boxes I then divide them into sections. So shoe box "A1" is divided into sections "AA" "AB" "AC" "AD". Why "AA" and not just "A"? Some boxes hold more cards (thick holders, regular) so I wanted to be able to keep going once I pass "Z", so now when I get to "AZ" I move onto "BA", "BB", "BC". Normally it is not nessessary though.

-Finally, each "xx" section has between 1-50 cards, numbered #01 to #50 .

So.

I get a new card. I have a new shoe box. Its my 5th shoe box and is designated A5. The first card in the box is in section AA, and it would be card 01. So the code on the card is A5AA01. Next card is A5AA02 and so on.

Inside I list the name of the player, the card type, marker it was signed in, color and other notes. Super simple. When I get a new card I just look at the last card logged into the box, and add one. I add the number to the card too:

photo-41.jpg

Example from my spreadsheet:

A5AD10Gonzalez, CarlosBase/insert card2010 A&GSHP-RBLU
A5AD11McGehee, CaseyBase/insert card2010 A&GSHP-RBLU
A5AD12Zobrist, BenBase/insert card2010 A&GSHP-RBLU
A5AD13Wolters, TonyBase/insert card2011 BowmanSHP-RBLU
A5AD14Harang, AaronBase/insert card2003 TotalSHP-RBLU
A5AD15Gonzalez, AdrianBase/insert card2005 TotalSHP-RBLU
A5AD16Cabrera, AsdrubalBase/insert card2009 Topps HeritageSHP-RBLU
A5AD17Colon, BartoloBase/insert card2001 Bowman HeritageSHP-RBLU

Here you can find my catalog.

Last edited: