Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rickey Henderson Collectors Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
Got my All Star and Stellar promos today! I'll take a pic of them all together tomorrow and post up. Now all I need is the 92 or 93 Star card. I would like to upgrade my Homre Run Promo sometime since mine is mis-glossied on a spot. Looks like the sheet was crooked when the glossy coating was applied. I have the card, but would like to get one that is perfect. I have all the sets and everything. I never thought I would ever get them all! Looking for some 9 card panels to display each set and the promos. Anyone have a good reason I shouldn't do this?

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Looking for some 9 card panels to display each set and the promos. Anyone have a good reason I shouldn't do this?

I did it with a few sets, and they looked pretty cool. To me, anyway. I think it made other people roll their eyes though. I really liked one... When I was a kid, I always loved the 85 Topps Traded card. I don't know why, maybe the cool stock it was printed on. I wasn't a kid who knew who or what a Tiffany was, so... anyway, I really loved the reprint they did in 2001, and I had just started collecting again so I put all those parallels into a panel. I'm pretty sure it's a 5 card panel, and it has these in it:

1985 Topps Traded 49T
2001 Topps Traded 85 T113
2001 Topps Traded Gold 85 T113 #/2001
2001 Topps Chrome Traded 85 T113
2001 Topps Chrome Traded Retrofractors 85 T113

They're all dupes and not really a part of my PC, so I just left them in the case if I remember right. I had some others too, but I took those apart because I needed certain cards. They were mostly 3 card panels, I had 2 different Collectors Choice sets, you know, the regular and the gold & silver signatures... and for some reason I really like the Fleer Box Score First Edition so I had those 2 in a 2 card panel. Maybe I just liked to show them off too much and people didn't want to hear about baseball cards, sigh. I did take them down long before I lost my card/music room though, because I thought they were just too dorky. Plus I guess I was starting to buy expensive cards and wanted to take attention away from the card aspect of the room...

ETA: I guess that makes my friends seem like really bad people, or me seem really paranoid, but... it's not my friends that I worry about. It the people that come over with them.... yeah, my friends have terrible taste in friends. Obviously! ;)

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
As promised. I think this is all of them. Missing the 91 Platinum Promo that is in a picture below. Other that the 93 Star card is this all of them? I have the sets too. Was there just one card in 93 or a whole set?

Top row: 90 Green Glossy Promo, 90 Blue Glossy Promo, 91 Ad Card Glossy, 91 Green Promo, 88 Nova Promo.
Middle row: 90 Green Promo, 90 Blue Promo, 91 Ad Card, 91 Stellar Promo, 91 All Star Promo.
Bottom row: 91 Silver Promo, 91 Home Run Promo, 91 Nova Promo, 90 Gold Promo, 90 Nova Promo.

photobucket-1614-1344359638831.jpg

Last edited:

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
Hey Brad.....I was Googling Promo cards and one of the links was your site. Talking about the Amazing Mets cereal boxes. I have some insight on the production. 250K does sound like a lot, but let me put this in perspective. Each pallet of cereal is 24 or 36 cases. Each case is 12 or 14 boxes. Since the Mets box was 20 oz. those are usually the 24 cases. 24 Cases at 12 boxes per case is 288 boxes per pallet. So that means they made less than 1000 pallets of this, or more around 850 pallets. You can fit 60-64 pallets on a semi, so they made roughly 14 trucks of this stuff. That's not very much at all! I load/unload cereal at my job, that's why I know this. We get about 100 trucks a day from the Quaker plant.

rickey939

Feb 18, 2012
Kansas City
Awhile back I had asked you guys for questions you wanted Rickey/Walt to answer. Well, here they are with their responses. I apologize if I didn't get your question asked/answered.

=============================

Walt:

Okay, here is a nice list of Top 10 questions put together by some of Rickey's biggest fans - in no particular order:

1.) Besides the A's, what was your 2nd favorite organization/city to play for? Why?

New York Yankees just a fun team to be part of.

2.) Was there any particular team/city you really wanted to play for, but never got the opportunity?

Baltimore always hit well there and almost came to town in a trade for Storm Davis but it fell through.

3.) What is your most memorable defensive play that you made?

His first snatch catch was the last out of a no hitter.

4.) As a successful running back in high school, do you have any regrets at all not choosing football over baseball? How far do you think you could have gotten playing football?

Football at the time was not an option because his mother Bobbi wouldn't allow it.

5.) What catcher scared you the most when you got on the base paths? Why?

Bob Boone

6.) What was your off-season training regimen like to stay in such amazing shape and keep those thighs so strong?

Running hills by his home in CA, high protein, sit ups and wrist curls

7.) Other than all the MLB records you hold, is there anything else in particular you wish people would remember most about you?

[left unanswered]

8.) Where and how do you have all of your baseball trophies/awards displayed? Can we see a picture?

Many were destroyed in the Oakland Hills fire in the 80's and many are at his other home in Ca. I will take pictures soon when I visit his home and share them with everybody.

9.) Do you collect sports memorabilia at all? Any of your own? Why or why not?

not really his own, he loves anything from Jackie Robinson, Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb and his favorite Don Mattingly.

10.) What are your favorite hobbies outside of baseball?

watching football, fishing and hanging with friends

11.) Lastly, I've been asked to inquire about an official "Rickey Henderson Fan Club" of sorts. Multiple collectors I've talked to have inquired about putting something together that was officially recognized by Rickey himself. What are your thoughts on that?

With in the next few months Rickey's wife Pam and I will be announing his official fan club, its going to be great and full of cool stuff that only members can get a hold of, very cool stuff, were having another meeting about it at Cooperstown this week funny that you mention that, was just on the phone with her talking more about it.

Thanks, Walt

rickey939

Feb 18, 2012
Kansas City
Awesome Q&A! Would you mind if I posted it to my blog? I'm sure others outside of our little FCB group would definitely be interested!

Sure! Go for it.

BTW, does anybody know when the proposed Baltimore trade was on the table? I've asked Walt more details on that, but haven't heard yet.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Yeah, I don't know... it's interesting to picture Rickey in an Orioles uni. You really need to know the year to know how ugly to picture the uni in your head. :lol: They've range from pretty bad to atrocious. :D

Its very interesting to have this close link to Rickey, I must say its pretty exciting!

+1!!

That Walt guy is a lucky ****.

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
The 2005 Leaf Certified Materials Samples on eBay right now. I can't tell from the pictures, but the Sample doesn't look centered or very smooth. The letters look rough around the edges. Can't tell if the SAMPLE is written over the back of the card or not. My thinking is that these were left at the factory for as replacements. Thus no serial number. I won't be able to bid them up regarldless, but would much rather have an unnumbered card rather than one that someone might have written sample on to boost sales. I'm not saying the seller did this as I can't tell from the scans. Just saying what I would prefer.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
The 2005 Leaf Certified Materials Samples on eBay right now. I can't tell from the pictures, but the Sample doesn't look centered or very smooth. The letters look rough around the edges. Can't tell if the SAMPLE is written over the back of the card or not. My thinking is that these were left at the factory for as replacements. Thus no serial number. I won't be able to bid them up regarldless, but would much rather have an unnumbered card rather than one that someone might have written sample on to boost sales. I'm not saying the seller did this as I can't tell from the scans. Just saying what I would prefer.

That is rather strange, I have never seen a sample card remotely like that. You might make a thread in the baseball forum and somebody there might know...

Does anybody know who this ebayer is? n***b
s.gif
( 705
iconPurpleStar_25x25.gif
) He won this 2004 Donruss Classics #24/50 and it breaks my heart. Maybe, unless it was one of you guys and you were going to trade it to me. :D I checked it out earlier in the week, and Ken was the high bidder, so I thought "Oh nice! That baby will be mine!"

It's been a crazy week. We drove a load of stuff to Arkansas because my wife had to do a training class on Monday. So we drove all day Sunday and got to hang out for about 3 hrs. Then Monday we didn't want to leave and decided to drive at night. I ended up driving 8 of the 12 hours, and could only sleep for 2 hours. Tuesday at work really sucked. :D And I've been crazy busy at work, wrapping things up. Kinda sad.

Members online

No members online now.