Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

So looks like Leaf is on to something....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Do you have the same vitriole and hatred for Topps? Because, although they might say all the right things, they utilize shady business practices and screw collectors on a much more frequent basis.

Topps doesn't really have any cards on the market that I care about at the moment.

I was more of. DLP and UD baseball card guy.

I do like Finest and Ginter off the top of my head though.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I've read what Brian's arguement is and I can only think to myself, "if it's that easy, why hasn't another company already done it?"

cardsrus1

Oct 26, 2010
Bloomington, IL
I've read what Brian's arguement is and I can only think to myself, "if it's that easy, why hasn't another company already done it?"

That is an easy one to answer, because the other companies are holding out hope for a license at some point. Once you cross any of the leagues you will have zero chance of ever getting a license from that point on.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Lets take a step back for a moment and look at what BG is saying. Now please know I am not a Leaf apologist and I own zero Leaf cards but he has a few interesting arguments.

In this thread BG Said:
"In cardtoons, while the primary issue was parody the judge goes a step further.
In his decision, he states that the cards would be 1st amendment protected if they have news , educational or informative value..
Stats and bio do the trick..
BG"

I looked up the Cardtoons decision and found this:

"Moreover, even if less common mediums of expression were to receive less First Amendment protection (perhaps out of concern for whether they contain any expression at all), trading cards do not fall into that category. Baseball cards have been an important means of informing the public about baseball players for over a century. "Trading, collecting and learning about players are the most common reasons for children to purchase baseball cards.... They are, in other words, an education in baseball." Fleer Corp. v. Topps Chewing Gum, Inc., 501 F.Supp. 485, 495-96 (E.D.Pa.1980), rev'd on other grounds, 658 F.2d 139 (3d Cir.1981), cert. denied, 455 U.S. 1019, 102 S.Ct. 1715, 72 L.Ed.2d 137 (1982). In addition, non-sports trading cards have also been an important medium for disseminating information. Some recent examples feature topics such as saints, Norman Rockwell paintings, presidential candidates, the rise and fall of the Soviet Union, local police officers, and Rodney King. All of these trading cards, regardless of their topic, convey information about their subject and therefore constitute an important means of expression that deserves First Amendment protection."

I am no lawyer and dont want to sound like I am but reading this decision from the courts makes me think BG might have a point here in that he could put a picture of a player in his uniform onto a card and NOT use logos on the card itself (other than what is on the uniform) and provide a bio or a list of statistics on the back. This type of card, with no logos other than the incidental logo on the uniform would be protected by the first ammendment. Per Brian's contention (I assume this is what he is saying) and per the court ruling it seems Brian could potentially win this type of case but I see it as a long, drawn out process that would only seem to make lawyers rich.

As to why have others NOT pursued this? Like I said before, I can only assume this will cost millions of dollars to defend and that will make most people shake in their boots and determine they cannot withstand that kind of financial outlay to defend their position.

I welcome BG's input and correct any errors in my understanding of his thinking but I think I understand what he is saying and understand where he is coming from.

mchenrycards

Reading further down in the lower courts decision I found other interesting tid bits:

MLBPA also maintains that the parody trading cards are commercial merchandise rather than protected speech. However, 970*970 we see no principled distinction between speech and merchandise that informs our First Amendment analysis. The fact that expressive materials are sold neither renders the speech unprotected, Virginia State Bd. of Pharmacy v. Virginia Citizens Consumer Council, Inc., 425 U.S. 748, 761, 96 S.Ct. 1817, 1825, 48 L.Ed.2d 346 (1976), nor alters the level of protection under the First Amendment, Lakewood v. Plain Dealer Publishing Co., 486 U.S. 750, 756 n. 5, 108 S.Ct. 2138, 2143 n. 5, 100 L.Ed.2d 771 (1988). Cardtoons
need not give away its trading cards in order to bring them within the ambit of the First Amendment. See Lakewood, 486 U.S. at 756 n. 5, 108 S.Ct. at 2143 n. 5.
MLBPA further argues that the parody cards are commercial speech and should therefore receive less protection under the First Amendment. The Supreme Court has defined commercial speech as "expression related solely to the economic interests of the speaker and its audience." Central Hudson Gas & Elec. Corp. v. Public Serv. Comm'n, 447 U.S. 557, 561, 100 S.Ct. 2343, 2349, 65 L.Ed.2d 341 (1980). Speech that does no more than propose a commercial transaction, for example, is commercial speech. See Virginia State Bd. of Pharmacy, 425 U.S. at 762, 96 S.Ct. at 1825. Thus, commercial speech is best understood as speech that merely advertises a product or service for business purposes, see 44 Liquormart, Inc. v. Rhode Island, ___ U.S. ___, ___, 116 S.Ct. 1495, 1504, 134 L.Ed.2d 711 (1996) (plurality opinion) (outlining a brief history of commercial speech that is, essentially, a history of advertising). As such, commercial speech may receive something less than the strict review afforded other types of speech. Id. at ___, 116 S.Ct. at 1507.

Cardtoons' trading cards, however, are not commercial speech — they do not merely advertise another unrelated product. Although the cards are sold in the market-place, they are not transformed into commercial speech merely because they are sold for profit. Virginia State Bd. of Pharmacy, 425 U.S. at 761, 96 S.Ct. at 1825. Contrary to MLBPA's argument, therefore, the cards are unlike the parody in the only other circuit court decision addressing the constitutional tensions inherent in a celebrity parody, White v. Samsung Electronics America, Inc., 971 F.2d 1395 (9th Cir.), cert. denied, 508 U.S. 951, 113 S.Ct. 2443, 124 L.Ed.2d 660 (1992). In that case, defendant Samsung published an advertisement featuring a costumed robot that parodied Vanna White, the letter-turner on television's Wheel of Fortune, and White sued for violation of her right of publicity. The court noted that in cases of noncommercial parodies, "the first amendment hurdle will bar most right of publicity actions against those activities." Id. at 1401 n. 3. However, without engaging in a methodical commercial speech analysis of Samsung's First Amendment defense, the court ruled that White's claim was sufficient to withstand Samsung's motion for summary judgment. We disagree with the result in that case for reasons discussed in the two dissents that it engendered. Id. at 1407-08 (Alarcon, J., concurring in part and dissenting in part); White v. Samsung Elecs. Am., Inc., 989 F.2d 1512, 1512-23 (9th Cir.1993) (denial of rehearing en banc) (Kozinski, J., dissenting). Moreover, our case is distinguished by the fact that the speech involved is not commercial, but rather speech subject to full First Amendment protection. White, therefore, is inapposite, and we must directly confront the central problem in this case: whether Cardtoons' First Amendment right trumps MLBPA's property right.

I thought this part was interesting from the above quoted case:

"Cardtoons' trading cards, however, are not commercial speech — they do not merely advertise another unrelated product. Although the cards are sold in the market-place, they are not transformed into commercial speech merely because they are sold for profit."

So given this....I think BG has a even stronger case from a Layman's perspective. Again, not being a lawyer I would like to hear anyone that can give a differing educated opinion. Lets discuss this here and not XXXXX and moan about the quality of Leaf of the business practices of the owner.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
The issue with your posts is your inability to separate your hatred for the man and the reality that are Leaf cards today. Sure the brand that Leaf was in the past and the brand that Leaf is today is markedly different, but that doesn't make the cards that are being produced today any less quality. No, they don't have logos, but Leaf is doing things right. They have great customer service, they handle redemptions well, 90% or more of their autos are on-card, the quality in the manufacturing is superb, they've done patch registry to prevent fakes, their website is an actual resource for product information, they take the time to actually reveal short prints within their products, the interactive redemption process is quite fun, and ultimately BG listens to suggestions and is available and that is a credit to the brand. While BG's forum persona is not my favorite, the rest of his doings when it comes to making cards has really developed into something special.

A+ response right here. Leaf does so many more things correct over Topps. The only issue with their cards is the no logo.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
Lets take a step back for a moment and look at what BG is saying. Now please know I am not a Leaf apologist and I own zero Leaf cards but he has a few interesting arguments.

In this thread BG Said:
"In cardtoons, while the primary issue was parody the judge goes a step further.
In his decision, he states that the cards would be 1st amendment protected if they have news , educational or informative value..
Stats and bio do the trick..
BG"

I looked up the Cardtoons decision and found this:

"Moreover, even if less common mediums of expression were to receive less First Amendment protection (perhaps out of concern for whether they contain any expression at all), trading cards do not fall into that category. Baseball cards have been an important means of informing the public about baseball players for over a century. "Trading, collecting and learning about players are the most common reasons for children to purchase baseball cards.... They are, in other words, an education in baseball." Fleer Corp. v. Topps Chewing Gum, Inc., 501 F.Supp. 485, 495-96 (E.D.Pa.1980), rev'd on other grounds, 658 F.2d 139 (3d Cir.1981), cert. denied, 455 U.S. 1019, 102 S.Ct. 1715, 72 L.Ed.2d 137 (1982). In addition, non-sports trading cards have also been an important medium for disseminating information. Some recent examples feature topics such as saints, Norman Rockwell paintings, presidential candidates, the rise and fall of the Soviet Union, local police officers, and Rodney King. All of these trading cards, regardless of their topic, convey information about their subject and therefore constitute an important means of expression that deserves First Amendment protection."

I am no lawyer and dont want to sound like I am but reading this decision from the courts makes me think BG might have a point here in that he could put a picture of a player in his uniform onto a card and NOT use logos on the card itself (other than what is on the uniform) and provide a bio or a list of statistics on the back. This type of card, with no logos other than the incidental logo on the uniform would be protected by the first ammendment. Per Brian's contention (I assume this is what he is saying) and per the court ruling it seems Brian could potentially win this type of case but I see it as a long, drawn out process that would only seem to make lawyers rich.

As to why have others NOT pursued this? Like I said before, I can only assume this will cost millions of dollars to defend and that will make most people shake in their boots and determine they cannot withstand that kind of financial outlay to defend their position.

I welcome BG's input and correct any errors in my understanding of his thinking but I think I understand what he is saying and understand where he is coming from.

This is a good arguement.

The first thing I would attack is the assertion that the main reasons children collect cards are for "trading, collecting and learning about players" by pointing out that few children collect cards anymore and that the adults that collect are not focused on learning about players, but that they get information almost exclusively from TV and the internet. Then I'd march out collector after collector to highlight reasons for why they buy trading cards, making sure that none of them do it, as the ruling noted, to "get an education in baseball."

mchenrycards

This is a good arguement.

The first thing I would attack is the assertion that the main reasons children collect cards are for "trading, collecting and learning about players" by pointing out that few children collect cards anymore and that the adults that collect are not focused on learning about players, but that they get information almost exclusively from TV and the internet. Then I'd march out collector after collector to highlight reasons for why they buy trading cards, making sure that none of them do it, as the ruling noted, to "get an education in baseball."

I agree with this but Topps themselves has billed their products as "educational" for many many years. It is was even printed on their flyers and, if I remember right, was even on their cases they packed their boxes in. It would be easy to show that even Topps thought of their product as educational which would negate any argument that they had against their product being so.

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
While the cases cited here are interesting, I doubt that there would be a similar finding on a non-parody product that intends on using said logos multiple times a year, and presumably in multiple sports. I can't imagine that the other companies that have the exclusive licenses in other sports would be willing to take the risk of losing the exclusivity of their deals by going after MLB. At the end of it all though, I keep coming back to the idea that using the first amendment to be able to feature Derek Jeter in a Yankees uniform because MLB signed an exclusive contract with one of your competitors is just sad and part of the problem this country faces, quite simply: "If at first you don't succeed, contact your lawyer and tie each other up in court for years."

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
At the end of it all though, I keep coming back to the idea that using the first amendment to be able to feature Derek Jeter in a Yankees uniform because MLB signed an exclusive contract with one of your competitors is just sad and part of the problem this country faces, quite simply: "If at first you don't succeed, contact your lawyer and tie each other up in court for years."

Yet it is that very same tactic that has kept us from enjoying Federal League baseball for the past 90 years. Poor MLB. I agree, it is sad that someone might get the better of them in court and not have the deck stacked in MLB's favor.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
I am now stupider (see!) for having read this entire thing.
I've never been a fan of Leaf, but I would be willing to open Leaf products with logos, just as I would open Panini baseball products with logos.
I am curious to know if Leaf is the one that is spearheading this or if it is Panini or UD. I'm not sure it has been revealed that it is BG doing this has it?
If it is BG that is spearheading this, and he wins based on whatever he plans to do, will this give Panini and UD the same rights? Will we have universal licensed MLB cards, or will it only be Leaf and Topps that has the right? I can't imagine BG would put in all this work just to let UD and Panini in the door as well. And this entire thread has focused on MLB, but will this also affect the NBA and Panini exclusive? On a side note, I know certain people on here think BG is getting attacked, but if a Topps employee were to get on here, it would be much worse for them.

If MLB were to grant a second license right now, it would be Panini's. And if BG really believed what he was saying, he'd just print the stupid logos & then fight the good fight. Upper Deck did it, once. There's a reason they didn't repeat that move.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
This ruling seems to bolster the Leaf case. Can previous baseball seasons be considered historical events?

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/mon...suit-against-trading-card-company-tossed.html

Aldrin accused Topps in a lawsuit filed last year of improperly using his image in a series of historic trading cards.
U.S. District Judge Dean D. Pregerson ruled that Topps’ use of photographs from the Apollo 11 mission was protected as “free speech of an issue of public interest.” He dismissed the lawsuit Sept. 27.
Aldrin has appealed to the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals.
At the center of the disagreement is a series of trading cards Topps issued in 2009 called, Topps American Heritage. The set of cards includes hundreds of images of well-known American politicians, actors, athletes and events, including a photograph of Aldrin during the historic mission.
Aldrin argued that Topps’ use of his image was “unprotected commercial speech,” for which he was entitled toc compensation.
"We believe that the federal trial court's ruling could effectively end California's well-established and statutory right of publicity law as it affects the use of celebrity images on trinkets such as plates, pencils, trading cards and the like," Aldrin's attorney, Robert C. O'Brien, said. "Accordingly, Dr. Aldrin has appealed the ruling to the 9th Circuit. He is hopeful for a positive result from the appeals court."

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
If I was arguing the other side, I'd say that the main purpose of those entities is to tell a story or provide an opinion on a player, team, or sporting
event, while the products created by sports card companies do not. Their main purpose is to sell a collectible that depicts an image. The visual is the main product.

I disagree.. The main purpose is ti sell advertising.. Bg

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
Magazines, for the most part, IS journalism. That's why they can use logos of virtually everything without fear of consequence. Because they are a periodical news source.

People need to stop being ignorant in this thread. Baseball cards are NOT that, and they NEVER will be. Hence the way they are classified now.

BG is just looking for attention here, and he has the money to throw around to make some noise in the industry. Nothing more, nothing less. We can only hope this attempted conquest of his forces him into bankruptcy, and he goes away forever. He has shamed the Leaf name. It used to be a proud card company. Now it's just Razor version 2. People ask me why I get so pissed about this subject. It's because the guy has done everything the wrong way. He started a card company that made terrible cards, and had the resources to purchase the name of an actual reputable company, and rechristen his Razor brand as Leaf and try to pass it on as a legitimate brand. Man, screw that guy, and screw his crappy company. He's a ****** on here anytime anyone says anything negative about his company, and always is trying to call people, blah blah blah. He knows he is a scum bag. He just has money, and thinks he can do whatever he wants. And most people around here grovel at his feet because they go all fan girl because a supposed card manufacturer actually participates, as they did over the subpar uber-hyped Phil Hughes.

But screw me, I'm just a moron because I call him out on his bs.

I won't stoop to saying the sane kind of uneducated opinions you make above..

I invite you to start a card company and get the company to $20 million a year in sales from scratch.. Good luck! It takes way more balls (and requires more than typing in a message board).

Bottom line, you don't know me.
You talk crap because it's fun for you.
The proof is in the pudding..
I'm in business and making money while most of the other guys are not making money..

I guess that makes me a dumb guy.
I've done the leaf name shame by making it a relevant brand instead of a brand left for dead by donruss (obviously, dropping with sarcasm)

BG

P.s.- Mario, I put myself out I front of everyone. Why don't you do the same?
What's your name? How do you know me personally to make the statements above? Expecting crickets..

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
It's not LEAF though.

Someone could buy the Chevrolet name and slap it on a Ford Tempo, but that doesn't make it a Chevy.

Had he not bought the Leaf name and rechristened his terrible Razor brand Leaf, I wouldn't be so offended by his business practices.

He comes across on the boards as a spoiled little rich kid who feels entitled, and always has legal verbiage to throw around to justify his actions.

And you think the current incarnation is remotely similar to the old Topps?
Silly.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008

1. $1 million minimum legal expenses
2. The companies with licenses now do NOT want people like me in the game. Because on level playing field, I would be a major force.
3. Someone has to break ground. Why didn't before Rosa Parks refuse to sit in the back of the bus?

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
If MLB were to grant a second license right now, it would be Panini's. And if BG really believed what he was saying, he'd just print the stupid logos & then fight the good fight. Upper Deck did it, once. There's a reason they didn't repeat that move.

We'll see what CLC decides...
Maybe I will go for the gusto and push the red button?
BG

Latest posts