Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Favorite Baseball Memory....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Doesn't have to be in person or anything. Just what sticks out in your mind.

I'm stuck on a few.

1) Exchanging letters/phone calls with my grandfather about the Red Sox and the guy in the minors, Nomar Garciaparra. To date, my favorite player ever because of those letters/phone calls.

2) Attending Y-D Red Sox games with my brother and grandfather during the 1-2 weeks we would spend in Cape Cod with my grandparents.

3) In little league, the one game each year that my grandfather attended. Was always my best game each year.

You'll see a theme here, my grandfather. Even though he passed 16 years ago, I think about him each and every day. He was a big part as to why I joined the Army 6 years after he passed and his view on life overall has remained with me and grown stronger. Baseball and the Red Sox especially were a bond between us. Screw the Sox-Yankees rivalry. It's meaningless. The Red Sox, to me, are a bond with my grandfather that will never be broken or forgotten.

nkdbacks

Aug 7, 2008
AZ
2001 World Series for sure...besides the obvious reason, it was nice to see the whole city come together.

I feel like there's always so much negativity these days, especially here in Arizona, and to see the whole city and the feeling of, well magic in the air, really no other way to describe it, was great and once-in-a-lifetime. I was only 11, but I will always remember going downtown at midnight to celebrate with hundreds of thousands of people on the streets.

Second to that, since I was there, was probably Game 3 of the 2011 NLDS. Things looked so grim for us, but seeing Goldschmidt smack the grand slam out and hugging random strangers was just awesome.

Tough to remember all the good times when things are going so wrong with the D-backs these past few years, but there really is a rich history for only 17 years of existence.

Oh, and non-Diamondbacks related, probably that last day of the season (can't remember if that was 2011 or 2012?), when half the playoff sports were determined and Longoria hit that HR for Tampa.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
I like you,have many favorites and memories that include my grandfather. He took me to most of my little league games. Even umpired a few.
First games I remember watching were the 91 braves and their run to the World Series, all with my grandpa. Which started a 3 year run watching the braves play.
He never quite bought into the whole baseball cards can be worth money idea and he loved to give me a hard time about them. But was pleasantly surprised when I sold my first few and made decent money.
We talked baseball/football and loved the Seattle teams as time passed. He passed last September 21'st and I too think of him every day. It pains me he missed the seahawks first Super Bowl win, and watching games doesn't have that same luster they used to as I know he's not watching along as well.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Two words: Aaron Boone.

Others, Game 6 of the 2011 World Series. Down to their last out, twice, David Freese and the Cardinals came back and won one of the greatest games ever played.

In person, Michael Wacha's near no-hitter. I've been to World Series games, and I've never been part of such an electric crowd as I was that night.

I've seen McGwire and Pujols do so many great things, it would be hard to choose just one.

The 2003 ALCS is probably the best series I have ever seen played though.

jeff_bichel

Nov 4, 2010
Houston, Texas
Spring of 1947. Barn storming game in Atlanta. Babe Ruth. I was pretty young and he was pretty feeble and just waved his hat to the crowd. He died a year and a half later. The whole country cried.

Last edited:

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
Best memory: I was a 12 year old kid at his first baseball game ATL vs. PHL. I grew up in a small town and had never been to a big city. My stepdad and i drove to Philadelphia to see the Phillies and Braves. I remember pulling up to the stadium and thinking how huge and amazing this place was. And then i get inside and just the site of the field and the players warming up and only being a few rows away it was breathtaking. Even better, Greg Maddux threw a complete game shutout that day.

Worst Memory: Same game as above, i was a huge Braves fan and i was standing along the third base line and David Justice (who was my favorite player) was signing autographs. When he got to where i was standing i handed him my Braves hat and a marker and he told me no and proceeded to the next person. To this day i have no clue why he told me no when he was signing for everyone else. I was devastated.

dstrawberryfan39

Oct 16, 2013
[MENTION=4144]RiceLynnEvans75[/MENTION] thanks for your comments mine are basically the same the only difference is my grandfather and I are Yankees fans that was our bond and he would tell me stories about listening to the 1960 world series on the radio painting his in laws porch and we I would call him when the Yankees were on to remind him in his last years he is on my mind everyday he has been gone for 3 years and I will miss him until I see him again!!

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
I have 3...

In chronological order:

1. Fisk waving the ball fair. It is my earliest baseball memory. To be fair though, I cannot really be sure if I remember it live or from all the replays. I know my Dad let me stay up to watch the game. Damn you Big Red Machine!

2. Sophomore year in high school. I was never particularly good at playing baseball, but I always loved the game. I, through dumb luck and coincidence, pulled off an unassisted triple play. (This was in PE, not a "real" game for the school.) I was playing SS, runners on 1st and 2nd, no outs. The runners decided to steal on the pitch. It was lined right to me. I caught the ball, ran to second to tag the bag and tag the runner from first. Honestly it happened so fast that it was a blur. Best moment was when they announced it during lunch the next day b/c people who were not there could not believe it.

3. 2004 WS. I actually shed a tear. Then I wrote a letter to my family wishing my grandparents were alive to see it.

TwinsWin

Mar 14, 2011
2002 World Series, I spent every night of this World Series bedside of my sick grandpa, he passed the morning after game 7.

2010 opening day at Target Field with my dad, was such an awesome day and really a good weekend because their was a big card/memorabilia show that weekend also and got to meet Johnny bench and a bunch of other hall of famers.

The 2014 all star game will probably be the greatest baseball memory I will have as far as being a spectator goes.

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
Maybe no one wants to say it now because the memories are tainted by the steroid era, but the McGwire/Sosa home run chase followed by the year Bonds did it were pretty special at the time.

Also, watching the Red Sox come back against the Yankees and then go on to win the World Series was spectacular. Everything surrounding that saga was incredible.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
^^^ Absolutely the McGwire / Sosa / Bonds / Griffey HR (and Binds overall hitting greatness) was my favorite time to watch baseball.

Besides that the 89 Playoff run the Giants / Will Clark had and the 01 DBax Title were my favorite moments

Ryan

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
Maybe no one wants to say it now because the memories are tainted by the steroid era, but the McGwire/Sosa home run chase followed by the year Bonds did it were pretty special at the time.

Also, watching the Red Sox come back against the Yankees and then go on to win the World Series was spectacular. Everything surrounding that saga was incredible.

Not afraid to say it and I don't care about the PEDs, but the Sosa/McGwire home run chase was one of my most exciting times in baseball for me. It helped that the Cubs actually had a good team that year and made it to the playoffs by winning a one game wild card tiebreaker over the Giants (A little revenge for 89). The Cubs last regular season series that year was against the Astros and I was there to watch Sosa hit number 66 off of Jose Lima to take a 66-65 lead over McGwire. McGwire of course then went on a tear and hit 5 home runs in his last three games against the Expos to win the home run chase 70-66.

^^^ Absolutely the McGwire / Sosa / Bonds / Griffey HR (and Binds overall hitting greatness) was my favorite time to watch baseball.

Besides that the 89 Playoff run the Giants / Will Clark had and the 01 DBax Title were my favorite moments

Ryan

Not the 89 playoff wins over the Cubs!

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
Going to the games with my dad was the best,
the 1998 yankee season.
and aaron freakin boone, it didn't bother me we lost the WS that year.

Two words: Aaron Boone.

Others, Game 6 of the 2011 World Series. Down to their last out, twice, David Freese and the Cardinals came back and won one of the greatest games ever played.

In person, Michael Wacha's near no-hitter. I've been to World Series games, and I've never been part of such an electric crowd as I was that night.

I've seen McGwire and Pujols do so many great things, it would be hard to choose just one.

The 2003 ALCS is probably the best series I have ever seen played though.

If you are from Boston, its 3 words ;)