Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1998 Finest Base vs No Protector Base & Ref vs. No Protector Ref

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matsuicollector

Aug 7, 2008
I'm sure this has been posted before but I didn't find it. Anyway, real quickly, here's what I see to be the difference.

Base vs No Protector base: The no protector has a chrome like finish on the back, whereas the base does not

Ref vs No Protector Ref: The base ref has an R near the number on the back, whereas the no protector does not

Are those the defining features?

timtom

Apr 24, 2013
Nashville, TN
The no protector refractor has an R next to the number as well, at least mine does.

The NP refractor also has a chrome like back and has a refractor back as well, where the base refractor does not have a refractor back of the card.

Dan

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
This may seem obvious, but the defining characteristic is that the No Protectors came out of the back with no protective film on them. Otherwise, you back differences and R for refractor are also differences.

98TOPPSFINEST.jpg
98TOPPSFINESTNOP.jpg

98TOPPSFINESTREF.jpg
98TOPPSFINESTNOPREF.jpg

Matsuicollector

Aug 7, 2008
This may seem obvious, but the defining characteristic is that the No Protectors came out of the back with no protective film on them. Otherwise, you back differences and R for refractor are also differences.

98TOPPSFINEST.jpg
98TOPPSFINESTNOP.jpg

98TOPPSFINESTREF.jpg
98TOPPSFINESTNOPREF.jpg

Yeah, I was talking about aside from the obvious lack or presence of a protector ;)

Basically, I purchased what supposed to be both the ref and no protector ref, but both appear to be the same card. They both have no protectors, but do have the R next to the number. So I'm assuming they are both base refractors that had the protective coating removed.

That seem correct?

EDIT: Both of the refractors I have also have a refractor finish on the back. Did the base refs have this refractor finish on the back as well?

Last edited:

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
There is one quirk on the 1998 No-Protector Refractors:

In Series 1, only the refractive quality of the front and back printing reveals this insert. Series 2 No-Protector Refractors have an “R” suffix to the card number on back. So Series 1 No-Protector refractors did NOT have an R, just the chrome type back.

In your case, are the backs the same type? Protector refractors shouldn't have the chrome type back, while the the No-Protector shoud.

Matsuicollector

Aug 7, 2008
There is one quirk on the 1998 No-Protector Refractors:

In Series 1, only the refractive quality of the front and back printing reveals this insert. Series 2 No-Protector Refractors have an “R” suffix to the card number on back. So Series 1 No-Protector refractors did NOT have an R, just the chrome type back.

In your case, are the backs the same type? Protector refractors shouldn't have the chrome type back, while the the No-Protector shoud.

Yes, both have an R and both have refractor-backs. Posada is card #217 . Was this series 2?

Members online

Latest posts