Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Jesus Montero done at catcher this season... possibly the rest of his career

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Most never projected him as a catcher in the bigs anyway so this isnt much of a surprise

Catcher is becoming a platoon position for most teams these days so a guy who has been a defensive question his whole career probably wouldnr have stuck around there long

TelePlayer22

Aug 7, 2008
I don't have a vested interest in any form with Montero, but due to the hype surrounding his ascension in the Yankees system, and subsequent drop in card prices, Montero has definitely fallen out of favor in the baseball hobby. With that being said, he's only 15 months older than Mike Zunino and a year and a half removed from being a top 15 prospect in baseball. Hitting .260 with 15 home runs as a rookie in Safeco is an impressive feat in itself. Essentially, while 2013 might be a lost season for Montero, there's still value for the Mariners with a 1B/DH to hit .270-.290 with 20 home runs a year.. particularly since Smoak isn't exactly cementing himself as the 1B of the future. A line-up featuring Zunino, Franklin, Seager, Morales, Morse, and Montero might not be too bad in a couple of years.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
Hopefully he doesn't get caught up in that little Biogenesis cloud that's been hanging over MLB lately and can jump start his career as a DH/1B type.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I don't have a vested interest in any form with Montero, but due to the hype surrounding his ascension in the Yankees system, and subsequent drop in card prices, Montero has definitely fallen out of favor in the baseball hobby. With that being said, he's only 15 months older than Mike Zunino and a year and a half removed from being a top 15 prospect in baseball. Hitting .260 with 15 home runs as a rookie in Safeco is an impressive feat in itself. Essentially, while 2013 might be a lost season for Montero, there's still value for the Mariners with a 1B/DH to hit .270-.290 with 20 home runs a year.. particularly since Smoak isn't exactly cementing himself as the 1B of the future. A line-up featuring Zunino, Franklin, Seager, Morales, Morse, and Montero might not be too bad in a couple of years.

But unlike Montero, these other guys don't have bad knees at 23. Seems like the knees may be a problem.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
I feel bad for Wes and others still holding his cards.

stubbornness can be a ******.....There have been signs for 18 months+ to dump his cards, but you have to be willing to give up and let em fly. Some do some don't. I have done it way too many times, thinking I know better than majority, and getting proven wrong. Even he does turn it on, I am guessing he will never, ever come close to his former peak prices.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
stubbornness can be a ******.....There have been signs for 18 months+ to dump his cards, but you have to be willing to give up and let em fly. Some do some don't. I have done it way too many times, thinking I know better than majority, and getting proven wrong. Even he does turn it on, I am guessing he will never, ever come close to his former peak prices.

very true, i didnt sell at his peak but i made a bunch off of him.

Wes

OG
Administrator
very true, i didnt sell at his peak but i made a bunch off of him.

Appreciate the words but there's no need to feel bad. You win some you lose some that's how this works. No point in selling now at an all time low. There's still hope and I can afford to hold. Luckily I was diversified in Wheeler, Trout, Lindor, Profar and Machado as well - takes a little of the sting out.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
Appreciate the words but there's no need to feel bad. You win some you lose some that's how this works. No point in selling now at an all time low. There's still hope and I can afford to hold. Luckily I was diversified in Wheeler, Trout, Lindor, Profar and Machado as well - takes a little of the sting out.

Do you still have that huge stash?

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Not a big fan of teams sending players down to learn a new position with the hope that their offensive stats will justify the move. Its too much pressure on players too put up eye popping numbers. Bj Upton is a great example of this.....

trauty

Oct 8, 2010
Not a big fan of teams sending players down to learn a new position with the hope that their offensive stats will justify the move. Its too much pressure on players too put up eye popping numbers. Bj Upton is a great example of this.....
It worked for Alex Gordon.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
For better or worse, the common theme is that none of the guys mentioned in this thread came close to living up to what prospectors in the hobby made them out to be.

But given so few players become superstars for more than a few years, this isn't exactly surprising... and so the same conversation will happen at least a few times... every year.

Members online