Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Player Collectors: ~~Cards from Thin Air~~

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
There had been quite a few cards that I thought never existed, and they all of sudden show up, like from thin air!
Case in point:
2001 Upper Deck Game Used Authentic Fabric 2. There may be near 1 million copies of Authentic Fabric 1, and I and another collector were thinking that these never got made, or at least not for the players they listed:
gls25_zpsa4fc5111.jpg

I have a few more from history I'll try to dig out scans. Anyone else?

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I've seen several of those.

01UDSPGAMEUSEDGOLD.jpg

If it's on a checklist, I tend to assume it exists. Tracking it down can be hard though. I had my doubts that I'd ever find a Topps SportzCubz, but one appeared out of thin air this past year.

98SPORTZCUBZ.jpg

Still waiting for a Grace Pacific Online Winner to "poof" and appear, or a 1999 Fleer Starting 9.

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
2003 Multi-Ad Orlando Rays. Had never heard of this card, until I was searching for "Jonny Gomes" on Google Images (a long shot method at finding cards). Found someone's TTM page with the card listed. Eventually got in contact with someone from the Orlando area, and purchased three copies (including two signed sets).

f-6638.jpg

2004 Devil Rays Team Issue. Existed on the checklist for the longest time without me ever seeing anything to even hint at its existence. Eventually saw it in a lot of various D-Ray paraphernalia. If the seller knew what my snipe on that auction was, he'd be sorely disappointed.

f-6657.jpg

2006 Fleer Ultra Autographics. Surprisingly hard to find, I initially wondered if it was never produced. (I now believe that to be true of the 2007 version of the same card, which I have two printing plates for yet have never seen.) Eventually picked this card up after months of active searching, and see it every now and again. Dude is killing it with the hairdo.

f-6831.jpg

RAZOR-Z

Apr 3, 2012
The Motor City
There had been quite a few cards that I thought never existed, and they all of sudden show up, like from thin air!
Case in point:
2001 Upper Deck Game Used Authentic Fabric 2. There may be near 1 million copies of Authentic Fabric 1, and I and another collector were thinking that these never got made, or at least not for the players they listed:
gls25_zpsa4fc5111.jpg

I have a few more from history I'll try to dig out scans. Anyone else?

BOOM
11-25_zpsd7197e9e.jpg

Only one I have ever seen or heard about (Currently in my collection) Sorry pic is from auction.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
I am convinced that one of these cards does not exist:
1989 Cedar Rapids Reds All Decades Best #5 O'neill
1990 Cedar Rapids Reds All Decades Best #5 O'neill

I believe one exists and I have it but there is no year on it. I truly believe they are both the same card.

Now my two Poof cards are these, just showed up one year
sportscubzpo.jpg

sportscubzb.jpg

This one popped up in the same year. Saw (3) total and I own 2 of them:
aqueous.jpg

Last edited:

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
2002 Topps Gold Darryl Kile.

I tried to find this card for 11 years before I saw the first copy pop up. I have no idea why it is so hard to find, but I suspect it is a combination of the fact that it looks ridiculously like the base card and some collectors hoarded it after his death and then forgot they owned them when his value didn't skyrocket.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
I am convinced that one of these cards does not exist:
1989 Cedar Rapids Reds All Decades Best #5 O'neill
1990 Cedar Rapids Reds All Decades Best #5 O'neill

I believe one exists and I have it but there is no year on it. I truly believe they are both the same card.

Those are a bit confusing. Beckett lists "All Decade" (and it should be singular since it only covers the 1980s, and "All Decade" is what is printed on the cards) sets for Birmingham and Cedar Rapids in 1989, and Cedar Rapids, Columbus, Tulsa, Hagerstown and Albany in 1990. The Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards lists all the "All Decade" sets as 1990. Given that there are players on both the Birmingham and Cedar Rapids sets with complete 1989 stats points to these all being 1990 issues. Best Cards main sales outlet for team sets was at stadiums, and there would have been no real outlet for these sets (aside from mail order) if they were issued in the 1989 off season.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts