Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

WARNING GRAPHIC CONTENT DO NOT OPEN

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Back in the day Beckett solicited card sales information from dealers, card shop owners and auction results to help arrive at their pricing information.

... and readers! There was a page in every issue that you could fill out with pricing and mail in. I would take items I was looking at or bought at local card shops or at card shows and write it down and mail it in.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I used to love things like that McGriff rc at $28...a nice round number and try to work trades with my friends and need to find a $3 so they'd do the trade. Loved depending on BV in the old days...

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Putting that in perspective, he was signing a lot around that time. People obviously weren't thinking he'd die so young either. I'd also guess that his fee was in line with what others were charging at the time for their level of fame.

800064228d21a2d76cc7414fa2589cd4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Putting that in perspective, he was signing a lot around that time. People obviously weren't thinking he'd die so young either. I'd also guess that his fee was in line with what others were charging at the time for their level of fame.

Yeah. $35-75 was pretty normal for that time period depending on the star and type of item.

Last edited:

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
1990 Topps Rickey Henderson went down to .15? That means my brick of 3000 of them just lost $150 in value?!

I joke, but remember when you could buy bricks of a single card like that? 1988-1990 was the height of that. I have a 1000 1989 Mark Lewis RCs in my childhood closet. My dad and I thought he was gonna be a star, a HOFer. Even if he had turned out that way, what would the brick be worth? Anyone seen a 1000 1989 Topps Randy Johnson cards for sale?

Looking back, the very fact that dealers had bricks of individual cards like this should have told us something about prodcution numbers and rarity, and the conclusion that they'd never gain any significant value would follow suit.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts