Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Manager of the Year awards..........

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I'll echo MOTY is for teams that exceeded expectation not the best team.

I'd say managers for the Cubs , Stros , Mets , Cards , Yankees , even Royals (for not falling off) could be considered

Ryan

Golden Gopher

Aug 17, 2015
I'll echo MOTY is for teams that exceeded expectation not the best team.

I'd say managers for the Cubs , Stros , Mets , Cards , Yankees , even Royals (for not falling off) could be considered

Ryan
Don't get me wrong the Cardinals are a great team, but weren't they suppose to be great this season. I don't really see them exceeding any expectations. The Royals were also suppose to be a really good team this year. Yes they are new to being a top team and staying power at the top is great, but still they were suppose to win.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Don't get me wrong the Cardinals are a great team, but weren't they suppose to be great this season. I don't really see them exceeding any expectations. The Royals were also suppose to be a really good team this year. Yes they are new to being a top team and staying power at the top is great, but still they were suppose to win.

They lost their Ace, #3 , and #4 hitters.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
In the three years Mike Matheny has been manager of the St. Louis Cardinals, he has led his team to the NLCS every season, and the World Series once.

And in zero of those seasons has he won Manager of the Year.

Which I am not a fan of.

It doesn't really mean anything in the grand scheme of things, but it would be nice for him to be recognized for the job he is doing.

Golden Gopher

Aug 17, 2015
In the three years Mike Matheny has been manager of the St. Louis Cardinals, he has led his team to the NLCS every season, and the World Series once.

And in zero of those seasons has he won Manager of the Year.

Which I am not a fan of.

It doesn't really mean anything in the grand scheme of things, but it would be nice for him to be recognized for the job he is doing.
He is doing a damn good job that is for sure. He also has the players year in and year out it seems. The thing is as stated early the award is usually given to a Manager that has a team that isn't expected to do much and wins the division and makes the playoffs. I don't know if that is the way it should be because I imagine it is still very difficult for a Manager like Matheny to have his players perform at the level they do year in and year out.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
Matheny deserves the award. The Cardinals have been destroyed by injuries and they still are on pace to win 102 games. Matheny was hired for his leadership qualities but this year he has gotten much better at in-game decisions. Of course I'm biased but I think he should have one it a couple years ago.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Matheny deserves the award. The Cardinals have been destroyed by injuries and they still are on pace to win 102 games. Matheny was hired for his leadership qualities but this year he has gotten much better at in-game decisions. Of course I'm biased but I think he should have one it a couple years ago.

I don't even like agreeing with this (consolation that Matheny was a Brewer?) but I do. Maddening what that club does over and over

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013

As some have covered , the expectations changed based on loss of players, and they are still winning. So yes , before the year, high expectations. As players go down exp usually go down as well so I'd say they are exceeding. With the Royals I did state it was for more of not falling off or back, which I thought some felt could happen.

And yes Josh , I'd add the Twins/PM in the discussion as well.

Ryan

Golden Gopher

Aug 17, 2015
As some have covered , the expectations changed based on loss of players, and they are still winning. So yes , before the year, high expectations. As players go down exp usually go down as well so I'd say they are exceeding. With the Royals I did state it was for more of not falling off or back, which I thought some felt could happen.

And yes Josh , I'd add the Twins/PM in the discussion as well.

Ryan

I agree the Cardinals did have several huge injuries including Wainwright, but they also had serious depth on there team. I don't think when they lost Wainwright and the others that the people who predict things were dropping them off the at having a successful season.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I know you're asking about the Majors, but Carlos Subero, who manages the Biloxi Shuckers is the MotY at ANY level. His team won the first half of the SOU League 43/25, and that included 55 road games in a row. That takes some quality leadership.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Based on players and potential on the team, it wont be the Nationals unless they figure it out

I'll stand by ya' as I remember you calling out Strasburg as a non-star and getting bashed. I'd say your more right than wrong at this point.

[MENTION=12588]Golden Gopher[/MENTION] , we will just have to disagree about the Cards. However they were only 1 of the 6-8 teams I mentioned.

Ryan

Golden Gopher

Aug 17, 2015
I'll stand by ya' as I remember you calling out Strasburg as a non-star and getting bashed. I'd say your more right than wrong at this point.

@Golden Gopher , we will just have to disagree about the Cards. However they were only 1 of the 6-8 teams I mentioned.

Ryan
Yes we will. I do however think Matheny is doing a great job and has been for a couple of years.

Last edited:

WaxPax

NOBODY, I repeat NOBODY picked anyone except the Nationals to win the NL East, let alone the Mets....Factor in Wright missing basically the entire year so far (8 games played), and d'Arnaud missing more than half the season as well, Collins has to be on the NL short list with Maddon

Members online

Latest posts