Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Vintage Pick Up Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
With the arrival of a 54 Bowman Mantle, I finally finished the Mantle run I've been putting together the past couple years. I may pick up the 52 and 53 Bowman at some point in the future, and will probably keep picking up leader cards, oddballs and team cards as I run across them. My initial goal was the base cards from 54-69 as well as AS, MVPs, etc., and multi player cards, but ended up branching out a bit. I'll also work on a few upgrades, as there are a couple I was disappointed with once I got them in hand. I obviously went for collector grade stuff, but still wanted good presentation. Overall very happy to finish this project. View attachment 65790

As a Mantle collector/fan, I must say that those look great all together like that! Congratulations!!! I would say to add the 1961 & 1962 Topps stamps of him, also!
DANNY

Gjb70

Aug 1, 2015
Thanks Danny! I'll definitely add the stamps at some point, some of the cooler oddballs from the 60s.

forgerelli

Apr 4, 2013
Thanks for sharing that. Very, very cool.

It's one of my lifetime goals to do the same type of project.

Scott F

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
With the arrival of a 54 Bowman Mantle, I finally finished the Mantle run I've been putting together the past couple years. I may pick up the 52 and 53 Bowman at some point in the future, and will probably keep picking up leader cards, oddballs and team cards as I run across them. My initial goal was the base cards from 54-69 as well as AS, MVPs, etc., and multi player cards, but ended up branching out a bit. I'll also work on a few upgrades, as there are a couple I was disappointed with once I got them in hand. I obviously went for collector grade stuff, but still wanted good presentation. Overall very happy to finish this project. View attachment 65790

Gorgeous! Congrats, that really is amazing

Gjb70

Aug 1, 2015
Thanks guys. It's been a fun project that I'll probably work on as long as I collect. I decided to go ahead and pick up the few main ones I needed, because we are expecting a son next March/April. I know life will get crazy then, so this is one project I wanted to focus on while I still have the time.

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
These two Diamond Star cards arrived on 11/15/16. The Greenberg is the result of a deal with Zan!!!!!

DANNY

I'm so happy that you are enjoying the card! I will continue to watch your progress as you best set completion!

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
Very cool Mantle collection! His cards are hot right now....hopefully you picked most up before they took off!

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Have not shared this yet, but this was my top want. There are a lot of things I would like to own, many of which are either too expensive or locked away and not for sale. This is one item that I have wanted since I first started buying cards and saw the Dover reprint. There are more popular vintage cards and I think the other three poses of Ruth in this set are more popular than this 4th one, but to me, this is the definition of 1933 Goudey. I was hoping to find an "affordable" copy and have searched on and off for years. I figured I would eventually splurge and find the best looking PSA or SGC that was available, figuring the best I could hope for was maybe a nice looking 1. Here is is. I do hate the pinhole (I'd rather have soft or rounded corners than creases and missing paper/holes), but that is the reason that I can afford to get it. Otherwise, it is a very nice card.

Ruth 33 Goudey.jpg

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Ohhhhhhh! But look at those corners! Pinhole doesn't stand out terribly and I personally like that pose the best of them. Congrats on an amazing pickup of a lifetime! That was the first Ruth card I ever saw in person at show when I was just a kid. Remember the dealer telling me someone had offered to trade a car for it. As a small kid I was blown away lol

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
Very nice Ruth! The first thing I noticed was how nice the corners were and how there weren't any major creases. The pinhole is in a nice spot to just blend in I think and not be a major focus.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
Couple cards for the type set
ec2a074079ef2ca64ff7328f4e4961db.jpg

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Decided to do the 1967 Topps set and purchased a partial set (will arrive tomorrow). Didn't get 39 high numbers, so I started by purchasing this one!
DANNY

Members online