Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

patrick182

Mar 23, 2010
Nice article, but I think it lacks an important piece of information. The coveted Silver Press Proof cards were only available in retail MAGAZINE packs, the kind that hang from hangers at the store, and not available in standard boxed packs. That's the key to their scarcity. Buying unopened boxes of 1996 Studio won't yield you these cards.

I remember going to a shopping mall show in Urbana, IL in the summer of 1996 and asking the dealers for Mark Grace cards. One dealer pulled out the Silver Press Proof and said "Have I got a card for you! Only 100 were made..." I was pretty floored by it at the time and had to have it, despite the hefty asking price.

96STUDIOSILVER.jpg

Thanks, Brad! :) I certainly thought about adding the Magazine comment when I wrote the article. Thanks for reassuring me of the importance. I've included it.

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
That sucks I'm sorry. I picked this card up a few years ago around 450 so I thought the 399 was s great price. Too bad the seller didn't honor the initial deal with you.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-SKYBOX...476542?hash=item3ac114ea3e:g:~TYAAOSwsN9XAK9G

Here's the Piazza I bought, mainly because I had $150 in Ebay bucks to use. Seller did not ship it to me. Instead he must have sold it off Ebay to the guy who relisted it at 1799

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIKE-PIAZZA...36d4bb&pid=100011&rk=2&rkt=10&sd=252347476542

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Has anyone ever looked into baseballcardepedia's player search function? If so how does it compare to Beckett?
I have not but now you have struck my curiosity. As you know, I am very serious about the Beckett player checklist for Belle and have probably exchanged over 100 or more emails with the rep there I know about it and have an instrumental role in cards added or removed, etc.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I haven't done a deep dive but they list 2,579 Belle cards and Beckett lists 2,884 which is just over 10% of the Beckett cards not being listed. I honestly figured their total would be greater as I have a few dozen Belle cards that Beckett doesn't recognize.

That said, not sure how to think about it. I sure am not going to cross reference all the cards. I did a quick look and suspected maybe all the Tek patterns from '98 and '99 wouldn't be listed but they are... not sure where the ~300 cards are that are missing and not motivated at the moment to find out haha

Members online