Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Most ridiculous reason for a buyer to cancel a transaction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
I sold a BGS 9 card on Ebay last Wednesday, and the buyer stated that he would pay on Monday. On Monday, he states that he is unable to pay for the card. I promptly file a NPB. I normally would cancel a transaction if someone emailed me right away after the auction stating that they couldn't pay for the item.

He emails me today asking that I remove the NPB and then make it a cancellation. I stated my position of why I will not do so. He then stated that I should cancel the transaction because I didn't accurately describe the centering on the back of the card. I posted scans of both the front and the back of the card, and BGS graded the centering as a 9. I believe he was thinking that he could get it bumped since it was .5 away from a 9.5, but I didn't state that anywhere on my auction that it was .5 away from a 9.5 as others would.

Just a rant - I'm sure many of you would understand why I'm irked by this.

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
Stand your ground!
Block the bidder.

If you don't mind sharing, I'd love to add this buyer to my blocked list as well.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
I'm feeling you on this.

I had a guy buy the same card from me 3 times. Yes, you read that right. Each time, he asked if he could buy and then pay in 2 or 3 installments. Or by check. Or money order. Whatever. Each time, within 1-3 weeks, he would back out for various reasons. It's almost become routine.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I once had a guy not pay for 30+ older yearbook/programs that he won for about $80 or so(spread out over 12 auctions) because he didn't want to pay for ANY shipping. Ugh...

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I sold a BGS 9 card on Ebay last Wednesday, and the buyer stated that he would pay on Monday. On Monday, he states that he is unable to pay for the card. I promptly file a NPB. I normally would cancel a transaction if someone emailed me right away after the auction stating that they couldn't pay for the item.

He emails me today asking that I remove the NPB and then make it a cancellation. I stated my position of why I will not do so. He then stated that I should cancel the transaction because I didn't accurately describe the centering on the back of the card. I posted scans of both the front and the back of the card, and BGS graded the centering as a 9. I believe he was thinking that he could get it bumped since it was .5 away from a 9.5, but I didn't state that anywhere on my auction that it was .5 away from a 9.5 as others would.

Just a rant - I'm sure many of you would understand why I'm irked by this.

Have anymore Piscotty black refractors?

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
I had one guy tell me that his 5 month old daughter had hacked his ebay account and bid on the item he won.

5 month old.

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014
I had one guy tell me that his 5 month old daughter had hacked his ebay account and bid on the item he won.

5 month old.

You would be surprised how easy this is. A family friend had a 2 year old spend over $200 on iPad games. 5 month old sounds like a stretch, but anyone could do it on my phone. I don't have to log in to bid or buy anything. Just the password on my phone.

Ogando, Michael Young, Leonys Martin and all Texas Rangers

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
That has been the most common excuse for me too, "my kid bid on the card!"

I've gotten that before too, but like I said - if the buyer emails me within 24 hours - then I'll let it go. BTW, happy ending I think to the story, the buyer replied - Happy April Fools and then paid. I'm not sure if it was really a joke or not.

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
I've gotten that before too, but like I said - if the buyer emails me within 24 hours - then I'll let it go. BTW, happy ending I think to the story, the buyer replied - Happy April Fools and then paid. I'm not sure if it was really a joke or not.

Not a funny one if it was

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
You would be surprised how easy this is. A family friend had a 2 year old spend over $200 on iPad games. 5 month old sounds like a stretch, but anyone could do it on my phone. I don't have to log in to bid or buy anything. Just the password on my phone.

I've got 3 small kids. 5 months is a stretch beyond imagination. Sitting on the ground without falling over is the most advanced thing a 5 month old can do.

Members online

Latest posts