Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Spreadsheet "Naming" Help...???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Ok guys/gals -

Beginning a project of redoing my spreadsheet of my Clark collection. Randomly chose 1999 to start with. I have settled on a format of

Year - Brand - Card # - Variation if Any - /What Card Is Out Of If Needed

Ex:
1999 Bowman Chrome #257
1999 Bowman Chrome #257 Gold
1999 Bowman Chrome #257 International Refractor /100

Etc...

With my OCD I want to stay consistent on this project if I'm spending the time to basically redo it all, change my color codes, naming etc.

My question(s) to you all is, how would you label the following sets. I'm starting in 1999 and may ask for help in other years if needed ;)

Is it Black Diamond or Upper Deck Black Diamond ?

Crown Royale or Pacific Crown Royale?

E-X Century or Skybox E-X Century?

Metal Universe or Fleer(or Skybox) Metal Universe?

Aurora or Pacific Aurora?

Invincible or Pacific Invincible?

Omega or Pacific Omega?

Paramount or Pacific Paramount?

Private Stock or Pacific Private Stock ?

Revolution or Pacific Revolution?

Thunder or Skybox Thunder?

Upper Deck UD Choice or UD Choice?

Suggestions on any/all ;)

Thx
Ryan

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I have two columns for the issue name - one for the manufacturer and one for the brand. It looks a lot like the right side of your "or..." examples except split into two columns.

The place I'm inconsistent with is the flagship items. If there are multiple series, I use the series number. If it's a single series, sometimes I leave the brand field blank and other times I put flagship in the brand field.

I highly recommend consistency in whatever format or syntax things you do because of searching and sorting reasons.

alexs64

Jul 28, 2010
Moreno Valley, Ca
I also just use the Beckett list.

AEBeckett.jpg

Spike

Oct 22, 2013
Ok guys/gals -

Beginning a project of redoing my spreadsheet of my Clark collection. Randomly chose 1999 to start with. I have settled on a format of

Year - Brand - Card # - Variation if Any - /What Card Is Out Of If Needed

Ex:
1999 Bowman Chrome #257
1999 Bowman Chrome #257 Gold
1999 Bowman Chrome #257 International Refractor /100

Etc...

With my OCD I want to stay consistent on this project if I'm spending the time to basically redo it all, change my color codes, naming etc.

My question(s) to you all is, how would you label the following sets. I'm starting in 1999 and may ask for help in other years if needed ;)

Is it Black Diamond or Upper Deck Black Diamond ?

Crown Royale or Pacific Crown Royale?

E-X Century or Skybox E-X Century?

Metal Universe or Fleer(or Skybox) Metal Universe?

Aurora or Pacific Aurora?

Invincible or Pacific Invincible?

Omega or Pacific Omega?

Paramount or Pacific Paramount?

Private Stock or Pacific Private Stock ?

Revolution or Pacific Revolution?

Thunder or Skybox Thunder?

Upper Deck UD Choice or UD Choice?

Suggestions on any/all ;)

Thx
Ryan

Can't wait to see the finished result! ;)

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I hate when they leave off the manufacturer on brand names on Beckett. Like Aurora vs. Pacific Aurora. I want all the Pacific cards together in my spreadsheets, so I always add Pacific to Aurora, Omega, etc. and Fleer to Flair, etc. I find it more convenient to have all one manufacturer's cards in the same section of my master list.

IUjapander

Jan 28, 2011
Indianapolis
My rule of thumb on whether or not to put manufacturer name in my spreadsheet is if the brand is recognizable without the manufacturer.

So I wouldn't put...
Topps Bowman
Topps Allen & Ginter
Panini National Treasures

I would put
Topps Supreme
Bowman Sterling
Panini Prizm

Another rule I use is if the manufacturer is on the front of the card.

So this is an Aurora card, because it doesn't say Pacific on the card.
8570595_orig.jpg

I've long stopped using Beckett's terminology because I refuse to call something a 'mojo' refractor or 'black galactic blades diffractor"

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I use [MENTION=5741]IUjapander[/MENTION]'s rule of thumb and list the card by the name on the front. I started doing this mainly because of all the Pacific releases in the 90's. It provides an objective way to catalogue them.

I like [MENTION=1845]gracecollector[/MENTION]'s point about having all of each manufacturer's releases grouped together in your checklists though. In the end it's personal preference.

Sent from my Android using the Freedom Cardboard app.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Thanks for the responses so far guys. I'll make my decision to if hit because I'd like to finish it sometime this year :) Been delaying forever. I have used basically the Beckett way previously. But a few things bug me. I hate that it has the Name on each line, so I delete Will Clark from each. Then I hate like the example shown it has for example Topps Marquee #1 then some inserts then a few parallels of card #1 , then another item then another parallel of #1 . Yes I understand its because it is Alph order and can move things around to correct it, just wish their system already did so basically all the parallels of card #1 were right under the base card before any insert is listed etc.

I think I am leaning towards using the Pacific Name on all their brands. Debating a lil' on using Fleer and/or Skybox on some, but maybe the one I'm most confused which way to go (yeah I know it's a small prob) is UD Choice vs Upper Deck Choice vs Upper Deck UD Choice.

Ryan

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
Thanks for the responses so far guys. I'll make my decision to if hit because I'd like to finish it sometime this year :) Been delaying forever. I have used basically the Beckett way previously. But a few things bug me. I hate that it has the Name on each line, so I delete Will Clark from each. Then I hate like the example shown it has for example Topps Marquee #1 then some inserts then a few parallels of card #1 , then another item then another parallel of #1 . Yes I understand its because it is Alph order and can move things around to correct it, just wish their system already did so basically all the parallels of card #1 were right under the base card before any insert is listed etc.

I think I am leaning towards using the Pacific Name on all their brands. Debating a lil' on using Fleer and/or Skybox on some, but maybe the one I'm most confused which way to go (yeah I know it's a small prob) is UD Choice vs Upper Deck Choice vs Upper Deck UD Choice.

Ryan

They have meds for that;)

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014
I always go by the Beckett layout. Aurora wasn't know as Pacific Aurora, then do you do that with Pinnacle and Score as well? Good luck!

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
I hate when they leave off the manufacturer on brand names on Beckett. Like Aurora vs. Pacific Aurora. I want all the Pacific cards together in my spreadsheets, so I always add Pacific to Aurora, Omega, etc. and Fleer to Flair, etc. I find it more convenient to have all one manufacturer's cards in the same section of my master list.

Wish I would have done this on mine, but I used the Beckett format

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I always go by the Beckett layout. Aurora wasn't know as Pacific Aurora, then do you do that with Pinnacle and Score as well? Good luck!

Yeah, I'm still not 100% I guess. As I was working on it yesterday I thought the "what the front of the card" approach may actually be the way to move it to. That would fit your reasoning of Aurora , Omega, etc. However, Finest says Topps Finest and I think it's basically known as Finest, and Crown Royale doesn't state the name at all on the front. (At least these apply with 1999 cards). Then Stadium Club says only that but I know on previous years they says Topps Stadium club.

Then I know for example in 2000 he has a Fresh Ink auto that just says Fleer on the front but in the back it shows it came from the Mystique packs.

Oh the decisions ;)

Ryan

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
Yeah, I'm still not 100% I guess. As I was working on it yesterday I thought the "what the front of the card" approach may actually be the way to move it to. That would fit your reasoning of Aurora , Omega, etc. However, Finest says Topps Finest and I think it's basically known as Finest, and Crown Royale doesn't state the name at all on the front. (At least these apply with 1999 cards). Then Stadium Club says only that but I know on previous years they says Topps Stadium club.

Then I know for example in 2000 he has a Fresh Ink auto that just says Fleer on the front but in the back it shows it came from the Mystique packs.

Oh the decisions ;)

Ryan

I have mine on Google Sheets if you want to look at it and see how it looks my way and that might help you decide

Members online