Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Griffey Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Collect

Jun 30, 2015
This is just Beckett and JSA being lazy again. Their answer to anytime some effort needs to be put into grading a card is to just ban it. For them, grading 1990 Topps or a high end auto card is the same cost, so they would rather not take on the headache. Though it is pretty pathetic that they would throw in the towel so easily. If they did a little more work, you can tell the ink would not be the same from 1994 until now. Not hard to do if you put a few hrs of work into collecting authentic vs fake samples and documenting the difference. But Beckett has said clearly, they will not do this leg work. Too much effort. A new service specifically for high end card grading is coming soon... All the work the current graders will not do, this service will...

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
^^^ I'm curious if you are stating a service within PSA, BGS, SGC or another grading company?

If you're speaking of another company, as much as it could be a good company, can't say I think it has a chance in the market.

Ryan

Collect

Jun 30, 2015
It actually start out with Fleer cards, as there is a lot of fraud, etc in Basketball as well as in Baseball around the Masterpice cards, etc. The service will actually use science for authentication and grading rather than a person. Think more like a forensic analysis of the card and have multiple data points to judge. In addition, the people helping are the same ones who were responsible for the card designs and actual print production at Fleer. No one knows the cards better than they do, as they are the ones who conceptualized, designed and produced the cards. No one at Beckett or any other grader would now more about them. Hoping this will put an end to a lot of the mis information around uncut sheet, replacement cards, etc. This project has actually taken two years and still wrapping up, so you can see the level of work put in.

Collect

Jun 30, 2015
The service may ultimately be "free" as well, with the collector just paying a fee to cover the cost of grading/authenticating. The idea behind the project is to restore some stability around fraud and misinformation, rather then profit. A few notable collectors have been privately working behind the scenes to get this done, for frankly the good of the hobby. Though I guess mentioning this makes it less private now :)

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Ok, sounds interesting for those types of faked items if those doing the "help" are experts. And I could see a need for that service at some level. If we're speaking about grading of misc random cards, I can't see the need. Keep us posted.

Ryan

Collect

Jun 30, 2015
Yes, you are right, it is mainly focusing on high end cards, where the fakes and fraud generally take place. No one is going to care about 1994 Fleer Ultra cards, but Gem Masters, PMGs, E-X Credentials are ones collectors will be concerned with. In addition, stories on how the cards were actually created will be shared. For example, why there are no PMG Greens for 1997 Baseball but they were in Basketball and Football. Hoping collectors will like hearing the stories/behind the scenes on some of their favorite cards. Part of the effort of the project was to document the history of Fleer trading cards for that period. Another fascinating story is how the 1989 Fleer Billy Ripken FF card made it out the door.

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014
Yes, you are right, it is mainly focusing on high end cards, where the fakes and fraud generally take place. No one is going to care about 1994 Fleer Ultra cards, but Gem Masters, PMGs, E-X Credentials are ones collectors will be concerned with. In addition, stories on how the cards were actually created will be shared. For example, why there are no PMG Greens for 1997 Baseball but they were in Basketball and Football. Hoping collectors will like hearing the stories/behind the scenes on some of their favorite cards. Part of the effort of the project was to document the history of Fleer trading cards for that period. Another fascinating story is how the 1989 Fleer Billy Ripken FF card made it out the door.

Would thoroughly enjoy hearing the background stories on these high-end 90's inserts - Fleer had some of the most innovative insert/parallel designs ever made. Ironically, I've always wondered why there was no PMG set in baseball until 1998 when Metal had been in the market for 2 years prior. Further, I loved the look of the '96 Metal Platinum parallel in baseball - imagine if that set were /100 and the first ten were blue or gold...it'd probably be '96 Mirror Gold status by now.

Hearing more on the concept of a new grading system is also a very interesting development.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
Just posting these because I am half-retarded and can't seem to send them in PM

attachment.php
attachment.php

The weird "wet look" is because of the plastic wrap on the chromium stock of the 1994 finest card. It comes attached (and reattached very quickly with no effort... similar to a penny sleeve on a chromium card.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Finest1.jpg
    Finest1.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 268
  • Finest2.jpg
    Finest2.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 256
  • Finest3.jpg
    Finest3.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 259
  • Finest4.jpg
    Finest4.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 259
  • Finest5.jpg
    Finest5.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 259

murphy17

Nov 28, 2010
Just thought I'd remind people that no COAs were in the 1994 UD packs with the Griffey/Mantle autos. UD released some years later that had the COA. So, most don't have the COA

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014
Been looking for a sealed superstar sampler set! Is it still sealed or did you open it? If I didn't get all that other stuff from you id pick them up. How much you looking for?

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
When / how were the COA ones issued? Just through UDA? I know the pack ones didn't have any, but the difference is the code on the back correct, or are the COA ones similar in the codes? Hope that made sense...

Ryan

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
Been looking for a sealed superstar sampler set! Is it still sealed or did you open it? If I didn't get all that other stuff from you id pick them up. How much you looking for?

Still sealed. @pogert2003 gets first crack at them. If he doesn't want them I will keep you in mind... and in my heart

GC24

Apr 29, 2016
Hey guys,

Curious if anyone is aware of public autograph signings Griffey may be doing during the HOF weekend? Or if he typically does them at all?

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014
Hey guys,

Curious if anyone is aware of public autograph signings Griffey may be doing during the HOF weekend? Or if he typically does them at all?

Not sure. Maybe this will be announced later? I also recall a few guys in here saying they were going - maybe they'll know.

On an unrelated note, excited to see what the Gold Embossed Refractor ends at tonight.

spikes

Jan 2, 2009
Selling a Griffey 500 HR bat. Looking for $265. Last one on ebay did $275

Pm works best.

Thanks

Sent from my LG-H631 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online