Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

This is why I don't care for Upper Deck's hand numbering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

viper

Dec 12, 2015
Ohio
Unless I'm wrong on this Griffey card I was looking at, I don't see anything to distinguish it from a gold bat relic. Oh, and the numbering looks like a preschooler wrote it.

image.jpeg

image.png

Just for comparisons sake, the following picture is from a Joe DiMaggio 2000 Upper Deck Legends.

image.jpeg

I've bought from this seller before and I don't think he would intentionally sell something that wasn't right.

Thoughts?

linuxabuser

Jan 16, 2011
I don't think that Griffey is factory. Nothing against the seller at all, just what I'd say from seeing the card.

I have not seen ugly UD hand numbering from the early 2000s.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Legit ones bought in 2001 -

01UDSPGAMEBAT.jpg
01UDGAMEBATGOLD.jpg

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
[MENTION=8906]RStadlerASU22[/MENTION] Ryan is correct. The UD hologram on back is gold on the /25 parallel. Also by the examples of [MENTION=1845]gracecollector[/MENTION] the parallel is not the same shade/color as the base.

I agree the number looks way off. Here is my gold O'neill.

z3b93s9h.jpeg

promodeltodd

Aug 7, 2008
The Griffey was added by someone other than upper deck. Like an auto, you can tell by the way the numbers are that they do not have good penmanship and tried to go real slow. Just from the scans you can see the flow is not consistent through the numbers and there is too much waviness in the numbers in certain areas. Someone just went real slow and did the best they could in hopes of getting a few extra dollars.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
[MENTION=8906]RStadlerASU22[/MENTION] Ryan is correct. The UD hologram on back is gold on the /25 parallel. Also by the examples of [MENTION=1845]gracecollector[/MENTION] the parallel is not the same shade/color as the base.

I agree the number looks way off. Here is my gold O'neill.

z3b93s9h.jpeg
Yes, as soon as you look at the Holo Color you will know. SILVER = BASE , GOLD = /25

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G920V using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
Not trying to hijack your thread OP just giving you another example that may even be worse. I bought out a rivals whole Paul O'Neill collection years ago. As I was going through it I knew this card was off, way off. Not only did someone add the written serial number but the base version didn't even look like the golds, they were red. Even worse a grading card company fell for it.

69yk6hbb.jpeg

The funny part was I already owned the gold 11/21 version.

l1pg4kvq.jpeg

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Good lord.

!!!!THIS 100% AUTHENTIC CARD IS A VERY UNIQUE AND INCREDIBLE COLLECTIBLE!!!!
!!!A GREAT INVESTMENT THAT MAY INCREASE IN VALUE!!!
!!!ABSOLUTELY PERFECT GIFT IDEA FOR ANY FAN OR SPORTS ENTHUSIAST!!!
IT DOES NOT GET ANY BETTER THAN THIS... ONE OF A KIND!!!

I guess "one of a kind" can now mean "one of seven of a kind". Must be one of those legendary "ebay 1/1's" I've heard so much about...

JUST LAYING EYES ON THIS CARD WILL RIP YOUR ABS AND TRIPLE YOUR INCOME!!!!
BUY NOWWWWWWWWWW!!!

I'm in a bad mood.

This is not Upper Deck but I just found this one from Fleer Tradition. I found no record/checklist of these cards hand numbered. No versions numbered to /7 either. They made 200 G/U non serial numbered and a gold version numbered to a foil numbered /100. Read the description and they sure make it sound authentic.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/BERNIE-WILLIA...3A3b2672e315a0a5eb3611da90fff6e01a%7Ciid%3A21

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
This is not Upper Deck but I just found this one from Fleer Tradition. I found no record/checklist of these cards hand numbered. No versions numbered to /7 either. They made 200 G/U non serial numbered and a gold version numbered to a foil numbered /100. Read the description and they sure make it sound authentic.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/BERNIE-WILLIA...3A3b2672e315a0a5eb3611da90fff6e01a%7Ciid%3A21
could possibly be from
2005 National Pastime
Buybacks

There are simply too many Buyback Autographs, Game-Used, and Game-Used Combo cards (over 1000) to list here. Each buyback is hand-numbered and supposed to have had a National Pastime logo embossed on the card. However not all Buybacks were embossed.

http://www.joering.com/mcgwire/inde...ring9&listType=Cards+Only&tn=tn&&years[]=2004

Last edited: