Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Name A Forgotten Once-Big Prospect

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

So the problem is that you bought into the hype?

No sir :)

Anyway back on topic :) Cant remember his name, but there was a guy in the 1970s drafted out of HS by the Astros...Was a HUGE prospect and then they rushed him too quick and wrecked him arm? Played for a couple teams in the 1970s and 1980s (wanna says one team was the White Sox)before retiring...Any one wanna help me out? I know info sucks that's all I can remember

Last edited:

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
Clint Hurdle isn't forgotten due to his managing career, but many people may not know that he was a huge prospect who never lived up to the hype. How big a prospect was Hurdle? He was on the cover of Sports Illustrated during Spring Training 1978.

mlb_hurdle_300.jpg

Cant remember his name, but there was a guy in the 1970s drafted out of HS by the Astros...Was a HUGE prospect and then they rushed him too quick and wrecked him arm? Played for a couple teams in the 1970s and 1980s (wanna says one team was the White Sox)before retiring...Any one wanna help me out? I know info sucks that's all I can remember...Floyd something?

Dazed

Aug 7, 2008
East of KC MO
Cant remember his name, but there was a guy in the 1970s drafted out of HS by the Astros...Was a HUGE prospect and then they rushed him too quick and wrecked him arm? Played for a couple teams in the 1970s and 1980s (wanna says one team was the White Sox)before retiring...Any one wanna help me out? I know info sucks that's all I can remember...Floyd something?

Cliff Floyd?

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN

J.R.Richard? Also, the Rangers drafted a high school pitcher #1 in the early '70's and wrecked him. It's way too early to even recall his name, but I'm pretty sure he went to high school in the DFW area too, making the hype train that much more pronounced.

manningmurphyfan

Aug 17, 2008
J.R.Richard? Also, the Rangers drafted a high school pitcher #1 in the early '70's and wrecked him. It's way too early to even recall his name, but I'm pretty sure he went to high school in the DFW area too, making the hype train that much more pronounced.

David Clyde

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Jun 26, 2013
Chicago
This guy wasn't a bust in baseball but he was supposed to be a great quarteback.his brother was one of my favorites of all time. Mark McGwires little brother I can't remember his name now. But boy they had his brother up on a pedestal
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Laxcat

Sep 6, 2013
This guy wasn't a bust in baseball but he was supposed to be a great quarteback.his brother was one of my favorites of all time. Mark McGwires little brother I can't remember his name now. But boy they had his brother up on a pedestal
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Dan McGwire. Drafted in '91 by Seattle. Played at San Jose State or Sa Diego State... not sure which. That dude was tall.

brianga26

Aug 7, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Drew Henson
J.D. Drew
The "little Unit" Ryan Anderson
Austin Kearns (Although he was a "serviceable" major league player)
Mark Prior (shoot me now! Still one of my favorite former prospects and actually signed a bunch of stuff TTM)

So lets throw this out there.. who of the next "crop" of prospects ends up on this list?

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
I'm a little late to the game and am sure these have already been mentioned but in case they haven't the first names that pop in my head of guys that were all the rave but didn't pan out:

Greg Jeffries
Todd Van Poppel
Kevin Maas
Matt Nokes
Mark Prior
Jeffrey Hammonds

Members online

Latest posts