Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Astros Fire Porter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
This is BS! He got into with Luhnow because he was sticking his nose in too far and trying to call shots about managing the team. Bo didn't like it and now what, he's fired? I hope they fire Luhnow and quickly. I've never liked him or his predecessor here. Astros front office are losing a slew of credibility with players on their team and with the league in general.

Sorry to see Porter gone. I think he was good for the team.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
******* ********. Astros could be something in the next couple years, but Luhnow is screwing everything up. Players loved playing for Porter. Unreal idiots now as GM's, thinking they're playing video games with real human lives.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
******* ********. Astros could be something in the next couple years, but Luhnow is screwing everything up. Players loved playing for Porter. Unreal idiots now as GM's, thinking they're playing video games with real human lives.

Well if they go all Steinbrenner(although in this case it's more the gm than the owner) on every manager that comes through, pretty soon the "manager" position will not really mean anything and no good managers will want the job. Either hire a man and let him do the job or don't hire anyone. I hate this stuff of them micromanaging people. I hate that in any industry. Either trust the guy or don't.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Well if they go all Steinbrenner(although in this case it's more the gm than the owner) on every manager that comes through, pretty soon the "manager" position will not really mean anything and no good managers will want the job. Either hire a man and let him do the job or don't hire anyone. I hate this stuff of them micromanaging people. I hate that in any industry. Either trust the guy or don't.

Gotta be rough being an Astros fan these days.Glad my team is run better than this.Does anyone think Lawless can or should become full time manager?

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Gotta be rough being an Astros fan these days.Glad my team is run better than this.Does anyone think Lawless can or should become full time manager?

It sucks. I'm happy we are getting better but some of these draft picks are treated like shiny new toys by Luhnow and he hasn't the intelligence to handle them properly. That's why people got upset about Appel coming to minute maid. It wasn't a big deal I suppose but I could totally see the players wondering what the hell he was doing there? Do you lack that much confidence in us that you're bringing him here to show off? I wasn't there so of course I'm not sure what they felt but I could see that being the case. Or the big contracts they signed Springer or Singleton to.

In answer to your other question...no. But like I said, I seriously doubt anyone worth their salt will want the job. Porter will be more than forthcoming with info on how they treat their manager and players. Word will spread.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
It sucks. I'm happy we are getting better but some of these draft picks are treated like shiny new toys by Luhnow and he hasn't the intelligence to handle them properly. That's why people got upset about Appel coming to minute maid. It wasn't a big deal I suppose but I could totally see the players wondering what the hell he was doing there? Do you lack that much confidence in us that you're bringing him here to show off? I wasn't there so of course I'm not sure what they felt but I could see that being the case. Or the big contracts they signed Springer or Singleton to.

In answer to your other question...no. But like I said, I seriously doubt anyone worth their salt will want the job. Porter will be more than forthcoming with info on how they treat their manager and players. Word will spread.

Don't other teams bring their top draft picks to the park after they sign them though?I thought the contracts given to Singleton and Springer were savvy team friendly deals.Small market teams have to be creative running their team.

When Lunhow was with the Cardinals their player development was the best it had been in years.Someone will always want the chance to manage a MLB team, Lawless has paid his dues and deserves a chance.

Steinbrenner was a tough guy to work for.Doubt we will ever see another owner like him again.His press conferences with the media and Martin were always entertaining.

nkdbacks

Aug 7, 2008
AZ
I always knew the players liked Porter, so I was really shocked this morning - especially with only a month in the season left. Wasn't aware of all this trouble with Luhnow.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Sadly, managers seem to have less control these days than ever before.Several years ago the Brewers fired Yost with 2 weeks left in the season when they were still ahead for the Wild Card.That came out of nowhere.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Don't other teams bring their top draft picks to the park after they sign them though?I thought the contracts given to Singleton and Springer were savvy team friendly deals.Small market teams have to be creative running their team.

When Lunhow was with the Cardinals their player development was the best it had been in years.Someone will always want the chance to manage a MLB team, Lawless has paid his dues and deserves a chance.

Steinbrenner was a tough guy to work for.Doubt we will ever see another owner like him again.His press conferences with the media and Martin were always entertaining.

This wasn't after they signed him. It was when he was being called up to double A...with no apparent reasoning behind the call up stat wise, either. In any case, it pissed some people off. I am not in the inner circle so I have no idea what the real beef was and none of us probably ever will. As for Singleton and Springer, I think the consensus was that you have all these other guys trying their hardest and they are in fear, save for Altuve, of losing their roster spot should something go wrong. Nobody has nice contracts, and then these two guys get called up and get contracts like they earned them or something. It was probably a smart move for the astros but the message it sent to the other players was that the astros are willing to give a guy with no major league service time a contract while everyone else feels expendable.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
So if Washington won that World Series would you still be calling for him to be fired?If Cruz was only playing 5 feet deeper...

Members online