Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What is the gem of your collection?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
When I started with pre war I was building the monster casually. Got into a late night convo about a card with a member here who was breaking up his own monster--- was almost $850 which at the time was a massive purchase and the most I ever spent on anything not a car....... So glad I did it. Not only does it look fantastic but it set my T206 collecting into high gear and the card itself has appreciated greatly. I hope I never HAVE to sell it because I never will willingly sell it.

Scan 12.jpeg

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
When I started with pre war I was building the monster casually. Got into a late night convo about a card with a member here who was breaking up his own monster--- was almost $850 which at the time was a massive purchase and the most I ever spent on anything not a car....... So glad I did it. Not only does it look fantastic but it set my T206 collecting into high gear and the card itself has appreciated greatly. I hope I never HAVE to sell it because I never will willingly sell it.

View attachment 68388
centering and color of that card look amazing! It's a gorgeous piece!

bigalbert

Aug 7, 2008

View attachment 68388

I'm not the jealous type but I do envy you on thatcard.
That is awesome.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
Thanks guys-- I remember having to think over it for days before I pulled the trigger. I just looked at my spreadsheet and it was $828 in August 2011. Can't believe that I had to think over that one!!

Had a line on a centered Green Cobb a few years ago but it fell through. The market on green cobbs has gotten our of hand so I'll have to wait. Picked up a bat off two years ago so I'm getting there

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
[MENTION=2078]bigalbert[/MENTION] whats the PSA pop report on that card? I have read enough to know that card, especially in that grade is a pretty hard find

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Conventionally, probably this:

660256_b6560e19a6b6f5a2984ca9719600f801.webp

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
I have favorites pop up all the time ... I guess it depends upon what is incoming, HOWEVER - all time? I'd have to say this, most likely:

glove.jpg

A game used fielding glove signed/inscribed in silver ink. Jose trade it to me when I was at his house. I'm not quite certain how I could get anything better than that, honestly. Honorable mention goes to my game used 1989 World Series baseball signed by the team:

baseball.jpg

If you are talking about cards, that is much, MUCH tougher for me. I have categories and refuse to compare them: 80's prototypes/variations, 90's-00's, customs, premium relics, 1/1's, etc. Ultimately, I could see myself saying my top favorite card is actually 15 cards :)

Last edited:

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Currently the high point of my Hensley Meulens collection. 1994 Chiba Lotte Marines Team Issued Menko.

1994ChibaLotteMarinesMenko6641032.JPG1994ChibaLotteMarinesMenko6641032b.JPG

It will likely only be surpassed when I finally snag a copy of his only pack-issued auto from the 2013 BBM Legendary Foreigners 2 Deep Impact set.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
Sold off the Cuddyer card collection, only collect full game used now.
Here is my favorite piece/s:
Combo Home Run Bat and Ball
Will try and make this short....
Date is June 9th, 2011. We were at the Twins game sitting in the Right Field stands. I had brought my camera with to take some pictures of Cuddyer that night. Got some shots of him in RF and up to bat. In the 5th inning Cuddyer crushed a ball to deep center field, a 3 Run HR into the bullpen.
Fast forward to mid August. At a Saturday afternoon game and in between innings I decide to go to the pro shop to check out what Cuddyer items the have today. The shop had about 4-5 game used bats of his. It seemed that nearly every game, Cuddy busted a bat. I picked thru them and decided I would purchase one, on a whim I picked the one with the most pinetar and it had some infield dirt and grass stuck to it. On the way home I decided to look up the MLB holo number to see when it was from, amazingly enough, it was from the game on June 9th. I thought to myself, thats cool, we were at that game, cool to have a bat from a game we were at.
Fast forward again to the beginning of September. Cuddyer was a big supporter of a local charity Cheerful Givers. In their annual fall auction, they had a couple of Cuddyer items, one of which stood out. It was a Home Run ball....THE Home Run ball from the June 9th game, autographed and Fully Inscribed. When I saw this, I knew I was going to win the ball at any cost. At that point, it also triggered something with me, the bat.....I took pictures at the game.....could the bat be the Home Run bat??? I quickly opened up my image files from that game, zoomed in on the bat during his at bats, pulled out the gamer I bought, compared the bat in hand to the bat in the images I had taken, sure enough, the wood grain matched up exactly on both. I had the Home Run bat from that game!!! I ended up winning the ball for a great price, so here it is, a Home Run Bat and Ball combo of Cuddyer (note I have since had the bat signed and inscribed with the same inscription as the ball).............

Cuddyer Ball.jpgCuddyer Bat.jpg

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
Date is June 9th, 2011. We were at the Twins game sitting in the Right Field stands. I had brought my camera with to take some pictures of Cuddyer that night. Got some shots of him in RF and up to bat. In the 5th inning Cuddyer crushed a ball to deep center field, a 3 Run HR into the bullpen.
Fast forward to mid August. At a Saturday afternoon game and in between innings I decide to go to the pro shop to check out what Cuddyer items the have today. The shop had about 4-5 game used bats of his. It seemed that nearly every game, Cuddy busted a bat. I picked thru them and decided I would purchase one, on a whim I picked the one with the most pinetar and it had some infield dirt and grass stuck to it. On the way home I decided to look up the MLB holo number to see when it was from, amazingly enough, it was from the game on June 9th. I thought to myself, thats cool, we were at that game, cool to have a bat from a game we were at.
Fast forward again to the beginning of September. Cuddyer was a big supporter of a local charity Cheerful Givers. In their annual fall auction, they had a couple of Cuddyer items, one of which stood out. It was a Home Run ball....THE Home Run ball from the June 9th game, autographed and Fully Inscribed. When I saw this, I knew I was going to win the ball at any cost. At that point, it also triggered something with me, the bat.....I took pictures at the game.....could the bat be the Home Run bat??? I quickly opened up my image files from that game, zoomed in on the bat during his at bats, pulled out the gamer I bought, compared the bat in hand to the bat in the images I had taken, sure enough, the wood grain matched up exactly on both. I had the Home Run bat from that game!!! I ended up winning the ball for a great price, so here it is, a Home Run Bat and Ball combo of Cuddyer (note I have since had the bat signed and inscribed with the same inscription as the ball).............

View attachment 68391View attachment 68392

That is so cool about Cuddyer. He is such a nice guy. A good friend and former teammate of his was Jim Thome. And the gem of my collection is a TTM auto of Thome on a 1992 Donruss base card.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012

That's an insane story, absolutely insane. Especially coming from someone who collect's Cuddyer to 1) be at that game 2) find the gu bat from that game 3) find the hr ball from that game!. If you can match up the wood grain, can you match up the scuff mark the ball made when he hit the hr?

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012

Awesome, I love this!

1998 SPx

Jun 11, 2014
This thread has got me asking myself what could be the jewel of my collection. I've got an awful lot of stuff and I'm not sure I can really choose one. Among my favorites are my framed Ty Cobb autographed cut...
Tyrus R. Cobb autograph and photo.jpg

or possibly this piece...

One part of my collection is focused on deadball era stuff, mainly T206 cards or autographs from the players in the set. I've got a few handwritten letters, but one stands out to me.

"Big" Ed Konetchy made his debut with St. Louis in 1907 and became known for excellent fieldwork and his speed on the basepaths. He hit over .300 four different times during his career.
Konetchy, Ed glove above head.jpg

Ed was born in La Crosse, Wisconsin and, once his playing days were over, he would become the manager of the La Crosse Blackhawks club of the Wisconsin State League. This hand written letter dated February 2, 1940 shows a glimpse into how players made baseball teams back then. It was a different era, to say the least.
Ed Konetchy letter.jpg

It reads..
Mr. Dugan
Dear Sir:

You have been recommended to me as a good ball player, by a man by the name of Robert E. Bates of your city. Now Mr. Dugan we will be very glad to have you come and try out with us. You of course understand that you will have to pay your own expenses during the training season and if you make good we will reimburse you for your room and board during that time. We will start training here about Apr. 15 and the season will start on May 9th.
Tell Mr. Bates I have written you.
Let me hear from you.
Respectfully,
Ed J Konetchy
1000 Redfield St.
La Crosse, Wis

Shortly after acquiring this letter, I somehow stumbled across a photo from 1941, showing the league championship team from 1940. I'm sad to report, it appears that our boy Dugan, did not "make good".
Ed Konetchy, 1941 La Crosse team.jpg

This isn't the most expensive item in my collection, but the historical perspective strikes a chord with me. To date, a total of five Konetchy autographs are known to exist.

Last edited:

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
^^^ like u said, the historical part about how the business/sport was run then is very unique. Great piece.

Ryan
Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector

jay1065

Aug 7, 2008
Lowell, MA
1910 E125 American Caramel Die Cut:

e125_am_caramel_dc_devore.jpg

Due to their size, it is generally accepted that these were issued inside boxes of caramels. My favorite aspect of the set is that they were printed in my hometown of Lowell, MA.

Members online