Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

OT - Anyone ever go to the PSA forums?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
jeremy said:
I'm sorry this happened to you.
classic CU line...

sportscardtheory: yes, the thread over there went squirly pretty quick, but IMO you took yourself and the topic way too seriously, as was pointed out by a couple of posters. Your opening statement was kinda vague - like it or not, hockey is not as heavily collected, watched or cared about when compared to baseball & football, which is what the majority of the people on the main CU board collect. Put a little more detail into your question/observation and I bet you would have gotten a lot more thoughtful responses. I'll fess up as one of the guys who created a spoof thread, which quickly sank into oblivion where it belonged. Wasn't personal, as I don't know you - it was meant to be somewhat silly, which I think is just fine on a message board predominantly made up of men who collect cardboard pictures with men on them.

The CU board is definitely cliquish, but name me one that isn't. Name a board that doesn't have resident smartasses, or one that doesn't have threads that get derailed by bickering. All of them do, including here. Yes, you got on the bad side of a couple of the posters, which leaves a bad taste in your mouth about the whole board - I get that. Overall however, the CU community is a great group of guys (and at least one great gal). You will find a wealth of knowledge there, not only about cards, but a lot of other things as well (storm888 and jimq112 are both unbelievable resources about a great many topics). Keep this in mind though - a decent handful of dishonest members there have soured many of the long-timers towards new people - may not be right, but it is the reality. Some of the scumbags are booted time and again, and they keep coming back with new alts, seeking only to cause trouble and dissent. More often than not, they get exposed for the tools they are, but in the meantime some legitimate newbies are caught up in the general suspicion.

CU has lost a lot of great members for various reasons - banning, too much silliness, too much drama, not enough legit hobby talk, etc. New guys get ran off by being either treated badly (which unfortunately happens sometimes and isn't right), or by being exposed as the frauds and tools they are. The old axiom is true - a few bad apples indeed spoil the bunch, which means over there a new member has a better than even chance to get the cold shoulder or get viewed with suspicion until he makes a name for himself.

Personally, I like it there a lot - I even dig the silliness that is more prevalent there. Even though it has turned some good people away, I really like it when trolls, fools and dirtbags get exposed in the hobby - some guys there are very good at sniffing them out. I like it here a lot, too. I come here primarily for the new card knowledge, and to occasionally show off what I've picked up. I like it there primarily for the vintage knowledge, and to see some of the truly awesome collections that are out there, and again to occasionally show off what I've picked up. I've made some really good friends there, and a couple here too. Bottom line, I take each board for what it is, which includes the good and the bad.

Meh, this is starting to turn into an incoherent ramble. I'm done. For what it's worth, sportscardtheory, jeremy's borrowed CU quote really does apply here - I am sorry this happened to you. Believe it or not, some of the prime instigators in your thread are pretty good guys, generous guys with good sports card knowledge. Probably too late to convince you of that, but I believe it to be true.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
cgilmo said:
sportscardtheory said:
HAHAHA They just won't quit. Almost every post I make is mocked and ridiculed no matter what it is. What a bunch of freaking losers. :lol:

then quit posting

what, do you enjoy it?

No, I don't enjoy it. But it IS funny how lame some people can be. It's funny that they have some kind of "in crowd" mentality and treat new posters like garbage. I do find it to be amusing, but I would rather it be normal.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
TNP777 said:
jeremy said:
I'm sorry this happened to you.
classic CU line...

sportscardtheory: yes, the thread over there went squirly pretty quick, but IMO you took yourself and the topic way too seriously, as was pointed out by a couple of posters. Your opening statement was kinda vague - like it or not, hockey is not as heavily collected, watched or cared about when compared to baseball & football, which is what the majority of the people on the main CU board collect. Put a little more detail into your question/observation and I bet you would have gotten a lot more thoughtful responses. I'll fess up as one of the guys who created a spoof thread, which quickly sank into oblivion where it belonged. Wasn't personal, as I don't know you - it was meant to be somewhat silly, which I think is just fine on a message board predominantly made up of men who collect cardboard pictures with men on them.

The CU board is definitely cliquish, but name me one that isn't. Name a board that doesn't have resident smartasses, or one that doesn't have threads that get derailed by bickering. All of them do, including here. Yes, you got on the bad side of a couple of the posters, which leaves a bad taste in your mouth about the whole board - I get that. Overall however, the CU community is a great group of guys (and at least one great gal). You will find a wealth of knowledge there, not only about cards, but a lot of other things as well (storm888 and jimq112 are both unbelievable resources about a great many topics). Keep this in mind though - a decent handful of dishonest members there have soured many of the long-timers towards new people - may not be right, but it is the reality. Some of the scumbags are booted time and again, and they keep coming back with new alts, seeking only to cause trouble and dissent. More often than not, they get exposed for the tools they are, but in the meantime some legitimate newbies are caught up in the general suspicion.

CU has lost a lot of great members for various reasons - banning, too much silliness, too much drama, not enough legit hobby talk, etc. New guys get ran off by being either treated badly (which unfortunately happens sometimes and isn't right), or by being exposed as the frauds and tools they are. The old axiom is true - a few bad apples indeed spoil the bunch, which means over there a new member has a better than even chance to get the cold shoulder or get viewed with suspicion until he makes a name for himself.

Personally, I like it there a lot - I even dig the silliness that is more prevalent there. Even though it has turned some good people away, I really like it when trolls, fools and dirtbags get exposed in the hobby - some guys there are very good at sniffing them out. I like it here a lot, too. I come here primarily for the new card knowledge, and to occasionally show off what I've picked up. I like it there primarily for the vintage knowledge, and to see some of the truly awesome collections that are out there, and again to occasionally show off what I've picked up. I've made some really good friends there, and a couple here too. Bottom line, I take each board for what it is, which includes the good and the bad.

Meh, this is starting to turn into an incoherent ramble. I'm done. For what it's worth, sportscardtheory, jeremy's borrowed CU quote really does apply here - I am sorry this happened to you. Believe it or not, some of the prime instigators in your thread are pretty good guys, generous guys with good sports card knowledge. Probably too late to convince you of that, but I believe it to be true.

"Good guys" don't treat people like garbage simply because they don't know them. I don't care how much someone knows about trading cards, respect people you don't know until they give you a reason not to. That's how it is in real life and even on a message board. My thread was harmless and simple. Sorry if I expect civility from people. And I don't see how me taking myself too seriously has anything to do with immediate attacks and mocking. I was completely civil for almost two pages until I finally got fed up. The mob mentality is for people that aren't creative or smart enough to have their own opinions, which is quite evident from all the morons over there mocking me for no apparent reason.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
Just sick this guy on them

obama_ninja.jpg

he looks mean

NYCrulesU

Jul 15, 2009
As salamu alaykum
Theory, if you like hockey and want to share something hockey related and want it to be appreciated? Try HobbyInsider.net, nothing but hockey. They have other boards, but trust me it's nothing but hockey.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
also, that board is ok, nowhere near as active as this one.

i also like the SGC boards, but that place is a true ghost town, unfortunately

Jul 30, 2009
Id be there more often if they were more posts about Felix Potvin.

I read like 5 pages and I alredy have an idea who the losers are. Maybe Ill join just for them :lol:

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
011873 said:
Id be there more often if they were more posts about Felix Potvin.

I read like 5 pages and I alredy have an idea who the losers are. Maybe Ill join just for them :lol:

I stuck around for about a year, poking at the "pack" and them poking back. It got old after awhile though because it's the same jokes over and over, and every time a newbie came around, they shared the same "stuff". Maybe if they thought of new lines, it would have been more entertaining. Also, as others have noted, it's not a very active board either....but I still go their for knowledge and advice on vintage and autos.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
I don't post much, but visit them on a daily basis. Also participate in some of the group subs.

rexvos

Aug 24, 2008
I am a member of the CU forums, but do not post a ton, only real posting now is done on their BST (Buy/Sell/Trade). A lot of the key older members were banned a few years ago by an overzealous mod that seems to flip a coin daily over what she deems as acceptable board behavior. The board skews older, but there are tons of snarky comments, and alt ids that make it not only confusing but rude at times. Traffic has come to a standstill on it because of these things. I am a member of another board of past and some present members that is a wealth of knowledge on the hobby without any drama like the psa board has.

How you are accepted on the board has a lot to do with your online demeanor however. You could easily be told "get off my lawn".

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
The PSA boards were at one time the "go to" boards for information about our hobby but now the boards are just a shadow of their former self. I do know many people have migrated to the Net54 boards which is well moderated and just filled with members who know their stuff. From 1800's cards to mid to late '70's, that is the place to go.

I have been a member of the PSA forums since 2004 and have seen some great people come and go but sadly, right now the boards are basically dead and I do not see anything bringing them back to life.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
I am a member of the CU forums, but do not post a ton, only real posting now is done on their BST (Buy/Sell/Trade). A lot of the key older members were banned a few years ago by an overzealous mod that seems to flip a coin daily over what she deems as acceptable board behavior. The board skews older, but there are tons of snarky comments, and alt ids that make it not only confusing but rude at times. Traffic has come to a standstill on it because of these things. I am a member of another board of past and some present members that is a wealth of knowledge on the hobby without any drama like the psa board has.

How you are accepted on the board has a lot to do with your online demeanor however. You could easily be told "get off my lawn".

I would love to know what board you are a member of now with some past members. If you would not mind, could you PM me the information....if not I fully understand.

Members online