Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

COMC Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sabrgeek

Apr 10, 2010
COMC is a "new-age" company and far ahead of the hobby curve is ensuring that all aspects of "social media" are covered. That is because a "younger couple" owns COMC and not the older people which own most other hobby companies.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
They're a consignment company for Sports Cards, non-sports cards, coins and comics. Read their site, it saves the explanation.

hohlernr

Dec 1, 2012
Michigan
The more I think about it, this news for COMC is game changing! I've already been using COMC for over a year and it's been great as a buyer and seller. Now that they'll have REAL price guides, I only see their business increasing.

IMO it's only a matter of time before they start their own grading and will put Beckett out of business. COMC seems like their keeping up with technology and Beckett isn't. It's as simple as that.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
[MENTION=10401]Moe@COMC[/MENTION]

There is one thing that COMC desperately needs. An updated search engine!

The ability to search for multiple players at once for example.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
I'm curious how COMC is going to come up with a value. So many cards are sold on the site through port sales where you get an item for 90% off of BV. Then the buyer turns around and sells it for 75% of BV to another flipper who may eventually sell it for 50% of BV to a collector and the card is finally removed from the site. Three different sales, but what is the actual value of the card?

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
I'm curious how COMC is going to come up with a value. So many cards are sold on the site through port sales where you get an item for 90% off of BV. Then the buyer turns around and sells it for 75% of BV to another flipper who may eventually sell it for 50% of BV to a collector and the card is finally removed from the site. Three different sales, but what is the actual value of the card?

Average?

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL

I think a lot of people are going to be a tad upset when the truth is exposed and we are finally shown hard data of what cards are selling for, rather than what Beckett (and the Krause/SCD) has been listing them for. No matter how COMC reconciles all the various circumstances of the sale of a given card, I think in all cases, the resulting number will be less than what Beckett would have us believe.

In any case, I truly hope COMC continues to forge their own path, and don't make any blatant pushes into Beckett's perceived markets (grading and producing "values" for those graded cards). I would love to see COMC expand beyond Beckett's US-only worldview and build a global marketplace and catalog system.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
Maybe, or a better way might be to only count sales where the same person has the card shipped to them after purchasing it. That would eliminate most of the flipping sales.

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
Maybe, or a better way might be to only count sales where the same person has the card shipped to them after purchasing it. That would eliminate most of the flipping sales.

A flipping sale still helps determine market value. Regardless of the buyer's intention, someone is still willing to buy the card at X price, and someone is willing to sell the card at X price. Even if the buyer thinks he can get more money for the card in the long run, the fact that the seller is willing to sell at that price implies that he thinks it is fair market value.

Edit to add: My concern with COMC's move is how much sales data does it really have? Sure it sells tons of cards, but how many of the same cards does it sell? I could see this working well for common cards, but what about for a card numbered /50? This problem could be ameliorated if COMC finds a way to provide easy access to sales data for comparable cards. That's essentially what Beckett does when it creates across the board prices for commons, semi-stars and stars; it relies on a limited amount of data to make generalizations about the rest of a set.

Last edited:

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Edit to add: My concern with COMC's move is how much sales data does it really have? Sure it sells tons of cards, but how many of the same cards does it sell? I could see this working well for common cards, but what about for a card numbered /50? This problem could be ameliorated if COMC finds a way to provide easy access to sales data for comparable cards. That's essentially what Beckett does when it creates across the board prices for commons, semi-stars and stars; it relies on a limited amount of data to make generalizations about the rest of a set.

Well, apply that exact same question to Beckett. How many cards do they actually sell? I can't imagine the Beckett Marketplace doing much more volume than COMC given the enormous shipping costs their sellers charge.

byronscott4ever

Dec 3, 2009
In the old COMC, wasn't it true that sellers could only list a card for a certain amount or percentage if book value? With the change in price setup, will that change?

U L Washington Rookie

Dec 7, 2012
D Town

Statistics. For example, a distribution of the actual sale prices can help one find outliers, at which point there are many methods for how to incorporate (or exclude) those outliers from the data. There are challenges when there are few data points, but that can also be dealt with in a variety of ways.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
In the old COMC, wasn't it true that sellers could only list a card for a certain amount or percentage if book value? With the change in price setup, will that change?

My guess is that they will continue to prevent listing a $3 card for $100+ or listing cards for a penny.

Members online

No members online now.