Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Photo sharing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

linuxabuser

Jan 16, 2011
Photobucket sucks. The ads suck. Somehow, it's still what everyone uses. Until today! Google Drive to the rescue.

Here's my "bucket": https://goo.gl/9QaZll

For those of you not interested in clicking, here's a screen shot of the top level view

Q6i70SB.png

You can drill down into a folder and get a nice view like this:

96G91Wf.png

No ads! No BS Photobucket navigation. Very fast on mobile.

If you don't want the big, ugly, default sharing link from Google Drive that looks like this: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B1gU8vLErcN_S0JRZ0FzRzJzbVk&usp=sharing, then you can run it through Google's URL shortener to look like this: https://goo.gl/9QaZll

Best of all, it's easy to use. You download the Google Drive program on your computer. It looks just like any other Windows folder. You create subfolders and dump images in. They're automatically uploaded to Google Drive. It looks just like this

746Cd1Z.png

It's nice to have an easy-to-use alternative to the ad-laden Photobucket.

How do I share a folder?

On Google Drive, right click the folder you want to share

UuHCQR2.png

Select Anyone on the Internet can find and view. Click Get Shareable link (green button, top right) to get the link. Use the Google link shortener to make it readable.

y0qlD3A.png

How to share an individual photo

Open the image in Google Drive that you want to show off on the forums

Click the Share icon

tcBtyHA.png

Copy the link

GL8WMRW.png

And paste in the Google Drive photo link here: https://sites.google.com/site/gdocs2direct/. This will works as long as your photo, or the album it's contained in, on Google Drive is shared publicly.

2TjCiYF.png

Copy the output link, and paste it on the forums

iDD1Bix.png

Last edited:

r2d2

Aug 24, 2008
Mexico City
That looks awesome. For months the manual sort in photobucket has been down besides all the other negatives but I have not find the time to move my scans and pics to another host, but seems like this will be totally worth it.

selah150pslm

Aug 7, 2008
Tucson, AZ
I use Google Drive for work and personal stuff, including spreadsheets of my collection. Didn't realize it would be a good place to show scans, was planning on using it to back up pictures as I've started rescanning my collection.

I looked through your scans and it's great. I like the ease of using arrows to flip through pictures in a folder, thanks for posting this!

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
How do they show up when you view them in Google Photos?

(You may need to select an option to show Drive photos in Google Photos)

linuxabuser

Jan 16, 2011
[MENTION=3300]vwnut13[/MENTION] - I didn't tie this in with Google Photos, as I don't have a Google+ profile. I like the granularity of sharing on Google Drive vs Photos anyway.

Glad you guys are finding this useful!

timtom

Apr 24, 2013
Nashville, TN
I started converting things over from photo bucket to Google drive over the past month. The only annoyance I have found is that when you place files in albums it sorts them by the date they were created. The when you sort them dragging photos from the top to the bottom is slow, but moving a photo from the bottom to the top is very quick. Should not be as much of an issue once I get all the old photos added as the new scans appear at the bottom.

Sent from my XT1080 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

linuxabuser

Jan 16, 2011
I started converting things over from photo bucket to Google drive over the past month. The only annoyance I have found is that when you place files in albums it sorts them by the date they were created. The when you sort them dragging photos from the top to the bottom is slow, but moving a photo from the bottom to the top is very quick. Should not be as much of an issue once I get all the old photos added as the new scans appear at the bottom.

Does sorting not work for you?

lqwGnsu.png

linuxabuser

Jan 16, 2011
Yeah, true. Kind of a few hoops to jump through to post an individual photo to the forums too.

timtom

Apr 24, 2013
Nashville, TN
Correction. I have been using Google photos, but the photos then appear in drive as well.

I manually sort the pictures in the album with the edit album tab.

Posting pictures is really easy from photos. Just literally copy and paste into the forum.

linuxabuser

Jan 16, 2011
Hmm.. maybe I'll finally concede and get a stupid Google+ profile so I can use Photos.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
[MENTION=5670]linuxabuser[/MENTION]

Is it just me, or has this changed? When clicking on the link you shared it opens it in a normal Google Drive view, and not the view you posted a screenshot of. The only way that I can get the view you posted is by clicking the link when I'm not signed into a Google Account.

linuxabuser

Jan 16, 2011
@linuxabuser

Is it just me, or has this changed? When clicking on the link you shared it opens it in a normal Google Drive view, and not the view you posted a screenshot of. The only way that I can get the view you posted is by clicking the link when I'm not signed into a Google Account.

You're right! When signed into Drive, it shows in the "comfortable" view. If you aren't signed in, the view is as it is in my first post.