Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

PSA/DNA HOFer Auto Rejections

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I've always been under the assumption that with larger auction lots they only look at a sampling of the collection that is offered and overall give the collection a thumbs up or down. Thats why there's generally a better price attached to items with a generalized LOA vs direct individual authentication but maybe wrong?
I would say yes though someone like Mack would be a bigger name aND should stand out.

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G920V using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I've always been under the assumption that with larger auction lots they only look at a sampling of the collection that is offered and overall give the collection a thumbs up or down. Thats why there's generally a better price attached to items with a generalized LOA vs direct individual authentication but maybe wrong?
If they do that, it's pathetic and borderline scandalous.
At the rate they're paid, they can afford to spend at least a couple of minutes on every signature.

Why would a portion of an entire impressive collection determine if the remaining signatures are authentic or not?

When someone builds a large collection, he doesn't obtain all of his signatures from the same source. Some are in person, some are through the mail, some are from auctions or trades or were gifts, and some are forgeries.

For authentication services to only check certain signatures is asinine. It's their entire job to authenticate signatures. No wonder there are so many authenticated forgeries for sale.

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
So I really went back to work looking harder at the 3 big autos that failed...Mack, Rixey, and Cuyler.

I am now convicted that the Mack is almost certainly fake. The Cuyler is questionable for sure and I can see why they would have rejected it. The Rixey still looks pretty legit to me.

It was amazing how many flaws I found in the Mack and the Cuyler autos once I looked harder.

Mike, my HOFer collection is almost all PSA/DNA slabbed- I've submitted at least 150 and maybe more to PSA over the years and it is always frustrating when one fails to pass. I've had some luck with re-submission and some not-so-good-luck.

Your comment about seeing flaws when you looked closer does ring true with some for me too. I have a file somewhere of "failed' items.

I have a pile of big names I need to submit, most from big auction houses with JSA letters, as it has been several years since I last submitted.

Hope you are well :p

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
I see what you're saying about the Mack, I have an authenticated auto of his I've been wanting to do a custom for and when you really examine closely there are several minor inconsistencies. I'm surprised they rejected it and I'd be surprised if that auto turned out not to be authentic. The stroke is completely consistent and the way he starts both the C and M seems to be consistent with other authenticated examples. The Cuyler looks pretty decent too but I can see why that one of the three might have failed, not sure what their thought process is on the Rixey he always seems to cross the "x" in the last name at the end and has the two weird "p"'s in his first name. Worst case scenario I'd imagine the Mack and Rixey are definitely fine and if the Cuyler is a clubhouse signature it's really, really well done.

Staff online

Latest posts