Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BA's Organizational Top 10 Prospect Lists Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Phillies

http://www.baseballamerica.com/mino...hillies-top-10-prospects/#lmBFSsUo3IbDMAsh.97

1. J.P. Crawford, ss
2. Mickey Moniak, of
3. Jorge Alfaro, c
4. Nick Williams, of
5. Sixto Sanchez, rhp
6. Rhys Hoskins, 1b
7. Franklyn Kilome, rhp
8. Roman Quinn, of
9. Scott Kingery, 2b
10. Dylan Cozens, of

[MENTION=1810]phillyfan0417[/MENTION] [MENTION=2092]BowmanChromeAddict[/MENTION] [MENTION=2408]Bob Loblaw[/MENTION]

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
Phillies

http://www.baseballamerica.com/mino...hillies-top-10-prospects/#lmBFSsUo3IbDMAsh.97

1. J.P. Crawford, ss
2. Mickey Moniak, of
3. Jorge Alfaro, c
4. Nick Williams, of
5. Sixto Sanchez, rhp
6. Rhys Hoskins, 1b
7. Franklyn Kilome, rhp
8. Roman Quinn, of
9. Scott Kingery, 2b
10. Dylan Cozens, of

[MENTION=1810]phillyfan0417[/MENTION] [MENTION=2092]BowmanChromeAddict[/MENTION] [MENTION=2408]Bob Loblaw[/MENTION]

that list seems........odd

Hoskins at 6 is a surprise.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
Phillies

1. J.P. Crawford, ss
2. Mickey Moniak, of
3. Jorge Alfaro, c
4. Nick Williams, of
5. Sixto Sanchez, rhp
6. Rhys Hoskins, 1b
7. Franklyn Kilome, rhp
8. Roman Quinn, of
9. Scott Kingery, 2b
10. Dylan Cozens, of

I wonder how close Jhailyn Ortiz was to this list. I'm also shocked that Knapp and Randolph were left off. Especially Knapp because he has a chance to be the Phils' backup catcher in 2017.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Cozens at TEN is odd. Who is better Cozens or Hoskins? They were neck & neck last season. Any background on Hoskins? What type of player will he be? I have a stash of 50+ Bowman paper and a red /150 that I got for .10 each.

They both played at a home park that is decidedly partial to homeruns. On the road they weren't as impressive.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
They both played at a home park that is decidedly partial to homeruns. On the road they weren't as impressive.

they both had historic seasons so I would say there is a little more than the "reading" effect.

ryan howard comes to mind with his season at reading and he was a college player and did it when he was 24. Cozens was 21 most of the season. We'll see what he is next year at Lehigh Valley.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Cozens at TEN is odd. Who is better Cozens or Hoskins? They were neck & neck last season. Any background on Hoskins? What type of player will he be? I have a stash of 50+ Bowman paper and a red /150 that I got for .10 each.

Hoskins for sure....much better strikeout rate compared to Cozens. Not to mention Cozens has some serious platoon splits [.197/.262/.378 vs LHP in 16'] whereas Hoskins is fairly neutral in that regard.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA

Yeah but a split that severe screams platoon player to me. I'm just not as high on Cozens as some are. Some red flags are his high strikeout rate and RH/LH splits...also is more of a groundball hitter (1.16 GO/AO in 16') so less of his hits will translate to home runs (Hoskins had a ridiculous 0.61 GO/AO so on that basis I'd say he's more likely to maintain his power numbers into the majors). If everything clicks for Cozens I think he probably has the higher ceiling because he's a power/speed guy, but ultimately I think his contact issues will plague him.

Hoskins is solid vs both (1.024 OPS vs LHP / .920 OPS vs RHP) so I feel he has a high floor...I don't see him as a 40 HR guy in the majors obviously, but I also don't think that his power is a fluke because of his home park. The leg kick he added last year really helped out his power numbers without affecting his contact rate much. For some reason I see him as a Adam LaRoche-type player, a consistent bat who is average/slightly above average in all categories (~25HR/~.270BA/~.335OBP).

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
In today's Ask BA, I got my question answered as to what the White Sox's revised top 10 list looks like today. Gotta say, I'm surprised at Kopech's ranking.

What Would Revised White Sox Top 10 Look Like? | BaseballAmerica.com

You thinking too high or to low on kopech?? He was 5 in Boston at his departure. A starter that young that throws 100+ will always get hype, regardless of whether he can find the strike zone or not. He was the red sox prospect I was most disappointed they moved, not disappointed with the trade overall, I was just excited to see how he developed.

Members online

No members online now.