Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1991 Upper Deck Low Wax Box Rip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
c3f42836.jpg

29334ac5.jpg

71067123.jpg

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Jones rookies were in '91 products, and Mussina in '92.Hard to believe there weren't any Jones rookies pulled in this.I ripped some of these boxes years ago and probably got 2-3 in every box.While a fun break, no doubt, the glue from the damn hologram stickers in the middle of the packs seeped onto the cards over time.I went through all those cards last year and some of the cards were still glued together.

caulaflour

Jan 29, 2011
Ann Arbor, MI
SINFULONE said:
Jones rookies were in '91 products, and Mussina in '92.Hard to believe there weren't any Jones rookies pulled in this.I ripped some of these boxes years ago and probably got 2-3 in every box.While a fun break, no doubt, the glue from the damn hologram stickers in the middle of the packs seeped onto the cards over time.I went through all those cards last year and some of the cards were still glued together.

Mussina actually WAS in this set. He had a "Top Prospect" RC, which after Van Poppel fell off became one of the top 2 cards in the set.

Mussinaupperdeckrc.jpg

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
caulaflour said:
SINFULONE said:

Mussina actually WAS in this set. He had a "Top Prospect" RC, which after Van Poppel fell off became one of the top 2 cards in the set.

Mussinaupperdeckrc.jpg

And is now 10 for $1, but that doesn't mean I ain't still digging it. :lol:

Plus, I always thought UD rushed/kinda mailed in/coasted the '90 set and tried to make up with a much better design, player pics, etc. for '91. :D

caulaflour

Jan 29, 2011
Ann Arbor, MI
I remember breaking these packs at the beginning of the year and we were all DYING to pull a Todd Van Poppel. I remember getting one in a pack I opened in the car and yelling out in excitement, startling my dad (I was 11).

By the end of the year, we were all hoping to get the Michael Jordan card that was randomly inserted.

I agree about the design, tho. '90 was a little boring, and they definitely were aiming to jazz things up in '91.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
caulaflour said:
SINFULONE said:

Mussinaupperdeckrc.jpg

You're right, my mistake.Were Jones rookies in the high boxes then?Kind of funny that one year UD used players wearing minor league uniforms like the Mussina.

I'm glad you brought up Van Poppel.I was reading the back of one of his cards not long ago, and he was one of the best pitching prospects ever at that time.Ryan comparisons on the back of every card I have of him.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
caulaflour said:
I remember breaking these packs at the beginning of the year and we were all DYING to pull a Todd Van Poppel. I remember getting one in a pack I opened in the car and yelling out in excitement, startling my dad (I was 11).

By the end of the year, we were all hoping to get the Michael Jordan card that was randomly inserted.

I agree about the design, tho. '90 was a little boring, and they definitely were aiming to jazz things up in '91.

You are bringing back memories!I remember when I was a kid and a big Jordan collector, my cousin and I set up a table at some flea market selling singles so I could save up enough to buy that Jordan SP at another table.At the time I had not seen that card before and had to have a Jordan in a White Sox uniform.That card was inserted one in every 72 packs or so, which at the time was pretty long odds, or at least to me.The Jordan card was only available in the low or high boxes, I can't remember which one, but there was a Henderson SP that was available in the other boxes.

caulaflour

Jan 29, 2011
Ann Arbor, MI
The Jordan was inserted into the lo series packs. My little brother pulled one during a grocery store visit in Dallas and we were both like "what on earth is this?" It wasn't until AFTER that that we learned how rare they were and started hoping to get them, and only pulled one more in about 500 packs.

The Aaron was inserted into the high series packs. Do you remember opening those packs with the specific purpose of trying to find Jeff Bagwell, tho? We all wanted the Bagwell, which booked at $4 at the time and was a huge sum. I pulled a Kirk Dressendorfer in my first attempt, which at the time wasn't a bad consolation prize because it was actually listed in the Beckett...haha.

Oh, and looking at the checklist is hilarious. Months after the set was released, Phil Plantier was a huge card in the set...and then he dropped off the face of the earth. Jones, btw, was in the lo series packs along with everyone else that was a "star rookie" or "top prospect."

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
caulaflour said:
The Jordan was inserted into the lo series packs. My little brother pulled one during a grocery store visit in Dallas and we were both like "what on earth is this?" It wasn't until AFTER that that we learned how rare they were and started hoping to get them, and only pulled one more in about 500 packs.

The Aaron was inserted into the high series packs. Do you remember opening those packs with the specific purpose of trying to find Jeff Bagwell, tho? We all wanted the Bagwell, which booked at $4 at the time and was a huge sum. I pulled a Kirk Dressendorfer in my first attempt, which at the time wasn't a bad consolation prize because it was actually listed in the Beckett...haha.

Oh, and looking at the checklist is hilarious. Months after the set was released, Phil Plantier was a huge card in the set...and then he dropped off the face of the earth. Jones, btw, was in the lo series packs along with everyone else that was a "star rookie" or "top prospect."

At the time those UD cards were the sharpest looking cards on the market, I don't think Topps Stadium Club had debuted yet.I remember buying those packs and remember how much nicer they looked than Fleer, Topps, Donruss, Score.I think those packs sold for a dollar plus, which at the time was a lot, considering I used to buy packs of Topps for 49 cents or so in the late '80s.I really didn't care much about collecting rookies back then, I wanted all the Cardinals I could get and any unique rare cards like that Jordan I had to have.Probably 2 years after I bought that Jordan I had it, along with some other cards stolen, so I bought some more boxes of this 2-3 years ago for the Jones and Mussina rookies, and that Jordan SP card.That was one cheap thrill ripping those boxes.I probably pulled 30 of those Find The Nolan inserts too.

Heh, I remember Dressendorfer and Plantier.Wasn't that Yankees prospect Maas a big seller back then too?Remember when Justice cards sold for a lot too?

caulaflour

Jan 29, 2011
Ann Arbor, MI
SINFULONE said:
caulaflour said:

At the time those UD cards were the sharpest looking cards on the market, I don't think Topps Stadium Club had debuted yet.I remember buying those packs and remember how much nicer they looked than Fleer, Topps, Donruss, Score.I think those packs sold for a dollar plus, which at the time was a lot, considering I used to buy packs of Topps for 49 cents or so in the late '80s.I really didn't care much about collecting rookies back then, I wanted all the Cardinals I could get and any unique rare cards like that Jordan I had to have.Probably 2 years after I bought that Jordan I had it, along with some other cards stolen, so I bought some more boxes of this 2-3 years ago for the Jones and Mussina rookies, and that Jordan SP card.That was one cheap thrill ripping those boxes.I probably pulled 30 of those Find The Nolan inserts too.

Heh, I remember Dressendorfer and Plantier.Wasn't that Yankees prospect Maas a big seller back then too?Remember when Justice cards sold for a lot too?

The packs were $1.25 or $1.50, depending on where you got them - and Stadium Club debuted with a huge bang later in the year.

Kevin Maas made a tremendous splash the year before with those 20 homers in 250 ABs...I also remember looking for his cards in all 1990 products (and then going back later to see if I had any Dave Justice or Alex Cole cards...remember Alex Cole??? his 1990 fleer booked for $1.25 for awhile). Maas went down the tubes the very next year tho.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
caulaflour said:
SINFULONE said:
caulaflour said:

The packs were $1.25 or $1.50, depending on where you got them - and Stadium Club debuted with a huge bang later in the year.

Kevin Maas made a tremendous splash the year before with those 20 homers in 250 ABs...I also remember looking for his cards in all 1990 products (and then going back later to see if I had any Dave Justice or Alex Cole cards...remember Alex Cole??? his 1990 fleer booked for $1.25 for awhile). Maas went down the tubes the very next year tho.

I have a crapload of those UD hologram stickers from '89, '91, and '92 sitting around somewhere.While I don't care about the stickers, it was pretty neat UD started making some cool hologram cards right after they put all those stickers in the packs.I have some Jackson hologram card I pulled out of '93 UD in one of my binders.I also had a Jordan hologram card that I had stolen too that I cherished at one point.Some of my favorite inserts were those Fleer Pro Vision cards that some artist sketched.I absolutely loved those cards.I've heard of Cole, did not recall his cards worth that much.Remember when '89 Jeffries rookies were worth a lot?

I have some old crappy beckett from some manufacturer that probably went out of business shorty thereafter that I looked through awhile back, and it was entertaining to see all the commons that were valued a lot like the '85 Davis rookies that booked for $30 and '84 Gooden rookies to book for around the same amount.I think '87 Clark and Jackson rookies booked for $15 as well.

sucrusader

Feb 7, 2013
NJ
Any hologram variations? Familiar with them? There was the standard 91 MLB holo, 92 MLB, 90 MLB, 90 Comic Ball, 90/91 NHL, and 91 MLB reverse negative. I have a handful of variations if any player collectors are looking.

Looking for Wes Chamberlain rare cards, variations, game used items, etc.

sucrusader

Feb 7, 2013
NJ
Thanks!! Funny that I'm still finding more cards of Chamberlain's (mostly variations) each year.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Thanks!! Funny that I'm still finding more cards of Chamberlain's (mostly variations) each year.

Always nice to see someone other than stars collected.

Members online

Latest posts