Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Gary Sanchez & card values

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
The Yankees have been bad at drafting and player development for a while but I am not sure I understand your Tanaka comment.

His 1st Bowman card (RC) prices dropped like a rock when he got hurt. They've never recovered, even though he recovered much of his success.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
His 1st Bowman card (RC) prices dropped like a rock when he got hurt. They've never recovered, even though he recovered much of his success.

I see what you are saying but not sure it really applies as he was never a Yankees prospect.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
The point is to sell any Yankees rookie cards when they're spiking in price or you'll regret it

On it.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Gary Sanchez blue ref Autos.jpg
    Gary Sanchez blue ref Autos.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 130

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
Bought an Orange Auto for $300 back in 2013. Gave to a local Yankee collector who has helped me out with a lot of sets throughout the years.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
The next Kevin Maas and Shane Spencer. Yankees who started their careers with tons of homers, then came back to earth.

Sanchez never hit more than 18 homers in five minor league seasons, so speculators are crazy for spending a fortune because of a hot streak.
Anyone who holds on to his cards at these prices is a moron.
Come on. All the people bringing up Maas and Spencer clearly don't get the difference. Those guys were NEVER real prospects. Never. Sanchez has been on the map for years and the reason it took so long to arrive is the development time as a catcher, not to mention knocking down the ego a peg or three.

I'm pretty sure most people don't think he's Babe Ruth, but honestly the kid is looking like the real deal. He takes pitches, adjusts mid at bat, none of his HRs is cheap (most are over 400 ft), and his defense has been great. Michael Pineda should buy him a Porsche for all the sliders he blocked in the dirt. That and he's thrown out 7 of 12 steal attempts. All while being thrown into the #3 hole of the lineup with Didi as protection.

So let's not rain on the whole parade. Yeah, it's likely not sustainable, but if he can hit .300 with 30 HRs as a cannon-armed catcher in NY? $$$$$$

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Come on. All the people bringing up Maas and Spencer clearly don't get the difference. Those guys were NEVER real prospects. Never.
Spencer had three straight minor league seasons of 32, 29 and 30 homers before he was called up.

Maas had a 28 homer, 90 rbi season in the minors, and hit .320 the year before he was called up.

They were certainly on Yankees' fans and management's radars during those pre-World Series years, but they weren't drafted high like Sanchez, and therefore not highly touted young prospects.

But then again, 95% of highy touted young propsects fail, so it's all a crap shoot anyway.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
Spencer had three straight minor league seasons of 32, 29 and 30 homers before he was called up.

Maas had a 28 homer, 90 rbi season in the minors, and hit .320 the year before he was called up.

They were certainly on Yankees' fans and management's radars during those pre-World Series years, but they weren't drafted high like Sanchez, and therefore not highly touted young prospects.

But then again, 95% of highy touted young propsects fail, so it's all a crap shoot anyway.
Sure, but those guys weren't highly touted because of other flaws. Power is one thing (and a big one). Hit tool is something else and Sanchez has always had that. The main difference is as a 16 yr old catcher they had a LOT of work to do on him, to the point where the hitting was never likely focused on. He spent 6+ seasons focused on defense so I think it's safe to assume that his offense was never going to be spectacular given the other demands on him. Now he's up, knows he has a place, and is performing in the spotlight where his all around game is looked upon favorably. Think about how much easier it is to do your job when you're not being criticized constantly for attitude or defense.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
All I know is I unloaded a 3-card lot of 2 Sterling autos and an Inception auto for roughly 9 times what I paid. Sure, it would be nice to have back the half dozen chrome autos I think I paid $20 max each for, but whatever. He too a LONG time to develop. Those are harder to see coming.

PeteD

Oct 15, 2009
Southern Ont.
All I know is I unloaded a 3-card lot of 2 Sterling autos and an Inception auto for roughly 9 times what I paid. Sure, it would be nice to have back the half dozen chrome autos I think I paid $20 max each for, but whatever. He too a LONG time to develop. Those are harder to see coming.

yeah i gave up on him too, but with tons of prospects you can't focus on all, just not enough time.

Members online