Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

getting a loan for cards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmixer

Aug 9, 2008
I talked with a big-bank Loan officer today (a friend, over dinner).
I asked, "if a million dollar baseball card became available, can i get a loan?"

He said: Sure, but ...
(#1) The most they'd loan you is 65% of a big-ticket luxury item.
You have to have skin in the game.

(#2) They would keep possession of the card in a secured collateral vault until the last payment.
Kind of like layaway, this insures the item's safety & condition.
The good news is that the loan is 'secured' and they can offer low-interest rates.

... so, if that MUST HAVE card comes along, banks will make loans, but you better be sitting on 35% cash.

mjbuchanan80

May 16, 2011
Kansas City
I talked with a big-bank Loan officer today (a friend, over dinner).
I asked, "if a million dollar baseball card became available, can i get a loan?"

He said: Sure, but ...
(#1) The most they'd loan you is 65% of a big-ticket luxury item.
You have to have skin in the game.

(#2) They would keep possession of the card in a secured collateral vault until the last payment.
Kind of like layaway, this insures the item's safety & condition.
The good news is that the loan is 'secured' and they can offer low-interest rates.

... so, if that MUST HAVE card comes along, banks will make loans, but you better be sitting on 35% cash.

Good to know. When I run through the list of 10,000,000 things I would rather do than drop $350k on a baseball card, I'll keep this mind.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Coupla things I can add from a similar conversation with a relative in High-end banking. Now this was about 5-6 years ago and maybe the Crisis changed banks' policies.

He put the amount "down" needed in advance as Half of the total value. Also, they wouldn't keep it in-hand, in a vault or otherwise secure spot, but would require full Insurance that met their specs and that can be pretty pricey, especially if the item is going to be out and available in public spots, museum exhibits, etc...

cmixer

Aug 9, 2008
I bet you'd consider dropping $350K on a card if you KNEW it would flip for $1million.

Members online

Latest posts