Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is 1991 Fleer the worst set (all in all) from the "junk wax" period?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
With the back wo 1976 stats do all of them have his personal info extend just past the stat bars? Where as with the COR photo you posted the text stops at the stat bar ending.

Ryan

All of the ERR variation has the text extended and all of the COR variation has the text stopping at the end of the bar, very good eye!

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
All of the ERR variation has the text extended and all of the COR variation has the text stopping at the end of the bar, very good eye!

;) been looking for the Will with extended text. Wonder if the whole set can be found that way or only certain ones when they ran the presses to fix errors like the Dawson stats. I know [MENTION=1845]gracecollector[/MENTION] found a Grace I believe, [MENTION=2962]jacksoncoupage[/MENTION] , you know if the who set can be found that way?

Ryan

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
I can't think of a set worse than 1991 Fleer. Really, it's terrible. Even as an 11 year old, I thought it was ugly! It is the only set I can think of which is known for having several printing variations that I do not care about at all. Different sheet codes on Topps? Yup, I collect those. Asterisk/period variations on Donruss? Yes, I love those. Cropping/bio differences on 1991 Fleer? I don't care and have never looked for them or cared about them.

rexvos

Aug 24, 2008
1991 Fleer actually is not that bad. I think 1992 Fleer is worse. 1990 Donruss has to be the worst.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
1991 Fleer actually is not that bad. I think 1992 Fleer is worse. 1990 Donruss has to be the worst.

1992 Fleer is a bad set, but at least looks OK. Cardstock is nice, and if you were collecting in 1992, you remember the madness that was the Rookie Sensation set. Plus, at least in the New England area, the Clemens inserts were huge as well.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
1990 donruss is a gold mine (fun wise, not monetarily) for variation collectors.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
84, 87 and 91 Fleer are the only sets I look back on now and like. As was mentioned before, Fleer sets in general beginning in 1981 sucked almost every year. If I picked a favorite, it would be 1984. The extended set will forever cement that year/brand in greatness as well, but my vote is strictly from aestetics.

Donruss, on the other hand, had several decent sets including 83, 84, 85, 86 and 87…then it all went bad!

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
I say '91 Fleer / '88 Topps / '89 Topps are the worst from a box perspective. '91 Leaf, if they didn't have the Leaf Gold Rookies, would be in there too. '91 Bowman, if it didn't have Chipper, would probably take the cake, because some of those RC MVP cards are of the absolute worst players who never reached the majors or some that, somehow, got to the big show.

And, I agree on '95 Fleer being ****ing someone tripping on acid designing cards. '92 Fleer, minus the inserts, is hideous as well.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I say '91 Fleer / '88 Topps / '89 Topps are the worst from a box perspective. '91 Leaf, if they didn't have the Leaf Gold Rookies, would be in there too. '91 Bowman, if it didn't have Chipper, would probably take the cake, because some of those RC MVP cards are of the absolute worst players who never reached the majors or some that, somehow, got to the big show.

And, I agree on '95 Fleer being ****ing someone tripping on acid designing cards. '92 Fleer, minus the inserts, is hideous as well.

Was '92 Leaf the first one-per-pack parallel with the Black Golds? Love those

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
1986 Topps. Even I do not have use for that garbage.

No impact rookie cards
No hall of fame worthy rookie cards
No errors
Bad design
No inserts obviously
Nothing "iconic" about it

Now I purposely didn't include 1986 in the title because it's hands down the worst.

Despite how horrible 91 fleer is, AT LEAST it has some variations and inserts, especially the all star ones.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI

1991 Bowman might be the best junk set out of that era, with 4 HOF-caliber RCs (Thome, Chipper, Ivan Rodriguez, and Bagwell) and Mussina, who is close but no cigar. If only Topps had the foresight to put Pedro in there!

Let's not forget the run of crap Score threw out there. 1988 through 1991 were basically the same set (good photography all the way, but the changes in border color got old and tired very quick). 1991 and 1992 were bloated monsters of a set, 900 cards of middle relievers and backup catchers. While I loved buying the jumbos in 1992 for the Impact Players inserts, not so much now. The ugliness of 1995 Score is forgotten thanks to whatever the hell 1995 Fleer is, but it is a bad bad bad design.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Hey! Hey!......hey.

90 score is my second favorite junk era set;)

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
'86 Topps at least has the PSA set registry chasers going for it. PSA 10's are tough with the black if I remember correctly.

edit*** It would help if I read the whole thread and saw a mention of this above me.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
;) been looking for the Will with extended text. Wonder if the whole set can be found that way or only certain ones when they ran the presses to fix errors like the Dawson stats. I know [MENTION=1845]gracecollector[/MENTION] found a Grace I believe, [MENTION=2962]jacksoncoupage[/MENTION] , you know if the who set can be found that way?

Ryan

Interesting that the Dawson is a corrected error. I had assumed the variations on the bio alignments were a first printing that used a bold version of the typeface, and a second printing that used the regular font.

91FLEERBOLD.jpg

91FLEERREG.jpg

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
Interesting that the Dawson is a corrected error. I had assumed the variations on the bio alignments were a first printing that used a bold version of the typeface, and a second printing that used the regular font.

91FLEERBOLD.jpg

91FLEERREG.jpg

Now I'm going to have to go back and check them all again

Members online

Latest posts