Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

[Featured Thread] 1991 Topps: The $100 Card, Glowing Backs & More

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jan 14, 2009
Okay, I see it now, that is probably a player specific error, was thinking the error was with the logo

There are a handful of variations in the Bold 40th logo partial parallel. McGwire, Seitzer, Rassmussen and Swindell are a few that can be found in both versions with Bold logo backs.

MatthewN

Sep 30, 2015
Coralville, IA
In all of the glow back discussion, did I miss any discussion of 1991 Bowman? If this is all old news, my apologies, but it was news to me...

I was completely unfamiliar with all of this glow back stuff, so I went out and bought a brand new "Use Only For 1991 Topps UV/Black Flashlight ;-)," brought it home, pulled out a couple of 1991 Topps Kirby Puckett cards, once again confirmed that my Desert Shield is legit, found that I had both glow/no glow of the regular 1991 Topps #300 , and excitedly added a card to my "have list."

Then I started flipping through my Pucketts...
Screen Shot 2015-11-04 at 8.53.03 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-11-04 at 8.53.07 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-11-04 at 8.53.22 AM.png
I believe there are two unique versions out of these three pictured. The only reason I put all three in the picture is that the one visible difference under regular light, is that the two glow cards, the two on the left, are darker on the front than the third, no glow card. I do not have many 1991 Bowman, so my sample size is small, I don't know whether the lighter front print is just a random defect, or a regular indicator of glow backs.

In terms of variations of glow cards, I have two "1991 Topps Puckett blank front/glow back" cards and one "1991 Bowman blank front/glow back" card. If anybody is interested in my extra Topps blank front/glow back, let me know. And if anyone has either the Topps or the Bowman Puckett with a blank front and no glow back, I'm in need of those.

The only other glow cards I found from that era in my Puckett collection were a bunch of the Star Company Puckett sets have print/stock that has the true glow effect with the text. However, the glow seems consistent through the individual sets, and I don't have any duplicate Star Company sets, so I can't really compare or contrast, and I didn't find anything immediately leading me to believe there are variations out there.

Not a card that glows, but just a random oddity I found while using my brand new "Use Only For 1991 Topps UV/Black Flashlight ;-)" is this with 1989 Donruss...
Screen Shot 2015-11-04 at 9.01.45 AM.png
These are the usual variations that differ with "INC." and "INC" as well as "*Denotes*" and"*Denotes"

With both Puckett #182 and Puckett #BC-1 (Not pictured) the backs of all three cards look the same under normal light, but under UV/black light, the "INC/*Denotes" versions are a different color stock than the others. Again, not really any new variation, it didn't really glow, but just a UV/Black light oddity with the stock I guess.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
In all of the glow back discussion, did I miss any discussion of 1991 Bowman? If this is all old news, my apologies, but it was news to me...

I was completely unfamiliar with all of this glow back stuff, so I went out and bought a brand new "Use Only For 1991 Topps UV/Black Flashlight ;-)," brought it home, pulled out a couple of 1991 Topps Kirby Puckett cards, once again confirmed that my Desert Shield is legit, found that I had both glow/no glow of the regular 1991 Topps #300 , and excitedly added a card to my "have list."

View attachment 56566
View attachment 56567
View attachment 56568
I believe there are two unique versions out of these three pictured. The only reason I put all three in the picture is that the one visible difference under regular light, is that the two glow cards, the two on the left, are darker on the front than the third, no glow card. I do not have many 1991 Bowman, so my sample size is small, I don't know whether the lighter front print is just a random defect, or a regular indicator of glow backs.

In terms of variations of glow cards, I have two "1991 Topps Puckett blank front/glow back" cards and one "1991 Bowman blank front/glow back" card. If anybody is interested in my extra Topps blank front/glow back, let me know. And if anyone has either the Topps or the Bowman Puckett with a blank front and no glow back, I'm in need of those.

The only other glow cards I found from that era in my Puckett collection were a bunch of the Star Company Puckett sets have print/stock that has the true glow effect with the text. However, the glow seems consistent through the individual sets, and I don't have any duplicate Star Company sets, so I can't really compare or contrast, and I didn't find anything immediately leading me to believe there are variations out there.

Not a card that glows, but just a random oddity I found while using my brand new "Use Only For 1991 Topps UV/Black Flashlight ;-)" is this with 1989 Donruss...
View attachment 56569
These are the usual variations that differ with "INC." and "INC" as well as "*Denotes*" and"*Denotes"

With both Puckett #182 and Puckett #BC-1 (Not pictured) the backs of all three cards look the same under normal light, but under UV/black light, the "INC/*Denotes" versions are a different color stock than the others. Again, not really any new variation, it didn't really glow, but just a UV/Black light oddity with the stock I guess.

Very cool on the Bowman find! I'm going to have to go looking now as well. I wonder if one was a wax version and one was a factory version?

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
So I finally got done going through me 1991 Topps Andre Dawsons and here is what I found.

143 no glow red backs
192 no glow blue backs
772 glow backs

I am wondering if maybe glow backs are retail backs and maybe no glow backs are factory sets?

All of my Desert Shields real and fake are glow backs.

All of my box bottom cards are glow backs except for the O-Pee-Chee.

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana

View attachment 56566
View attachment 56567
View attachment 56568

View attachment 56569

I only have 183 1991 Bowman Andre Dawson. I have to go find my 1991 Bowman box now and make my 1991 Topps UV light a 1991 Bowman UV light lol

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
Here are my 1991 Bowman results:

**1991 Bowman E* #429 Andre Dawson40
**1991 Bowman E* Glow Back #429 Andre Dawson48
**1991 Bowman E** #429 Andre Dawson42
**1991 Bowman E** Glow Back #429 Andre Dawson52
**1991 Bowman E** Glow Speck #429 Andre Dawson1

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
Here is the glow speck. It has a regular looking back with no imperfections I can see with the eye but when you put the UV light to it:

ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1446673364.311703.jpg

Greg Cleveland

Aug 9, 2008
Eau Claire, Wisconsin, United States
So here I am, with my son's black light flashlight--which I got for him when our Radio Shack closed because I knew he would think it's cool--and checking my Gary Gaettis and Pucketts. My Gaetti Desert Shield glows, but my base doesn't and my 91 Bowman glows so I'll have to search through my extras for the other versions! (I don't have the inventory of some people!) I have three glowing 91 Pucks, but anyone else I'll have to keep digging. How has this been unknown or missed all these years?

Also checked my 91 Topps Traded Gaetti. It glows.

Last edited:

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
You know how many 1991 Topps cards I gave to goodwill makes me want to research before giving other cards again I am pretty sure I had at least one of these rare cards.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Album? Check
Pages? Check
Black light? Check

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Last edited:

BenG76

May 15, 2013
Fancy Gap, VA
Whatever you guys do, DO NOT check to see what the Vizquel Glow card sold for.

Seriously, do NOT do it. You will get sick.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

I am curious what they took for a best offer. Anyhow that's nuts. I have 2 factory sets plus 2 other sets as well as 10 wax boxes worth of cards I opened. I guess I am gonna have to look through them and see what I have.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
Re: Vizquel above - zoiks! It went for $500. Yeah, that's not gonna get a chargeback!

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
It's dumb , seriously dumb. As Dustin showed with his breakdown, THEY AREN'T REALLY RARE. Cool variations and I want them, but overpaying is an overreaction.
[MENTION=2962]jacksoncoupage[/MENTION] , nice sale sir. Didn't check the Ripken price but it sold too.

Ryan

Last edited:

Greg Cleveland

Aug 9, 2008
Eau Claire, Wisconsin, United States
I've been doing some looking through the few 91 Topps that I have. Like many of us, I got rid of so, so many commons. But I have found a few to dig through. So far, the only one that is really bold is this one, Jim Acker. My iPad can't take a picture (while I hold the light) well enough to show how it pops in the black light.

ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1446779082.052662.jpg

But he more I searched, I found a couple that were a little, umm, disturbing. It's like the cards had a message just for me. What do you think?

ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1446779185.693843.jpg

Then I found this one...

ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1446779212.112382.jpg

Just having some fun, folks. 😛

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts