Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1993 Topps ... Copper?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
I just picked up a fairly large collection yesterday afternoon and one of the boxes was filled with 1993 Topps Gold cards. Mostly commons, but a few of them were in doubles - one had the regular gold and the other foil used was noticeably different. Here is a pic: Has anyone heard of this before? Is this a known variation?

20160124_131145.jpg

EDIT: Never mind - I see that JunkWaxGems has one for sale on Ebay. [MENTION=2962]jacksoncoupage[/MENTION] do you know if Canseco (#500) has one?

Last edited:

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
I don't have a Copper or Silver one but I do have a no gold 1993 topps. Can't really tell on the scan but there is an impression of where the gold should be on the card but isn't.
1993 Topps No Gold.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Some sort of printing flaw/variation. There was no purposeful issue of different foil colors that I am aware of. Like many printing issues, there will be a small market for these things, especially with player and E/V collectors.

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
I just picked up a fairly large collection yesterday afternoon and one of the boxes was filled with 1993 Topps Gold cards. Mostly commons, but a few of them were in doubles - one had the regular gold and the other foil used was noticeably different. Here is a pic: Has anyone heard of this before? Is this a known variation?

20160124_131145.jpg

EDIT: Never mind - I see that JunkWaxGems has one for sale on Ebay. @jacksoncoupage do you know if Canseco (#500) has one?

I dont see a difference in the cards

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
I also have Red Green color blindness. Sometime it helps more in shades of color. I can see a horned toad lizard on the bark of a tree like it is black and white.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
That could explain it. I see a slight color difference between them much like a number of known sets with similar printing issues. Not sure what exactly would cause that, but as I said before, I am fairly certain there was no purposeful color variations, so it comes down to a printing issue.

I just don't see a difference, must be my color blindness, I will have to check my Dawsons though, I have 126 of them

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
That could explain it. I see a slight color difference between them much like a number of known sets with similar printing issues. Not sure what exactly would cause that, but as I said before, I am fairly certain there was no purposeful color variations, so it comes down to a printing issue.

I checked my 126 and couldn't tell a difference, but I can't tell a difference in the pic either so I will get a second set of eyes to take a look at them

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
I have been sorting 10s of thousands of Dawson extras pretty much all day today and just ran across this which is similar but not nearly as cool

ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1453688161.833332.jpg

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
I Want to check my doubles, but will have to wait til i return home tomorrow night. I checked comc, but without seeing them in person, it is hard to tell due to the inconsistency in the scans.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Thanks for this thread. Most of the time when I learn about some obscure variant I know I'll have to search high and low to find it, if I ever do. But after reading this thread I went over to comc and looked through the few Alomars they had and one of them looked more copper than gold. So what the hell, I bought all of them. Got them in the mail today and sure enough one of them is definitely copper foil. Turns out the one I had in my collection was the copper foil one...and I was actually missing the gold foil all along :) Not every day I get to add a unique early 90's card to my player collection for five bucks.

Looking at some other players on comc I think this variant might not be that uncommon. There are 16 Bernie Williams for example and I swear 2-3 of them must be copper.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I remember getting some 93 golds that had a slightly different tint in the foil, which I guess could be described as "flat," or faintly reddish/coppery hue. Never thought about it, just one of those things at the factory where the foil wasn't made properly, or possibly some other production issue.

Members online