Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Official Error and Variation Discussion/Reference Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ragtop12

Jan 15, 2015
I'm pretty sure that the #713 combo cards just have USA, without any periods. I have not come across anything different.

Yes they only have USA... but the line border on the back is different... the ending position ends REAL CLOSE to the MLBPA logo, and the "rare" version ends aslightly farther away. You can see it on the Dawson/Sandberg card on COMC if you look at the backs, right now card 5 and 6 on COMC

ragtop12

Jan 15, 2015
Also, question. Can anyone confirm that EVERY 1992 leaf black gold has both INC and INC. versions? I've been searching for one of the Dean Palmer versions for A LONG time! No luck.

SecondToNone

Mar 26, 2013
Elmhurst, Illinois
Thank you! i would not have noticed that one. Collection will be checked tomorrow!

Yes they only have USA... but the line border on the back is different... the ending position ends REAL CLOSE to the MLBPA logo, and the "rare" version ends aslightly farther away. You can see it on the Dawson/Sandberg card on COMC if you look at the backs, right now card 5 and 6 on COMC

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but its a long thread and I'm new on these boards...In the 1996 Stadium Club "Team TSC" subset there seems to be 4 variations. The player name appears in blue or purple and the same for the "Team TSC" logo thus making four different version.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but its a long thread and I'm new on these boards...In the 1996 Stadium Club "Team TSC" subset there seems to be 4 variations. The player name appears in blue or purple and the same for the "Team TSC" logo thus making four different version.

There's more than just 4. I have five different Wakefields:

Team TSC Blue Name/Teal-Purple-Magenta TSC
Team TSC Blue-Purple Name/Purple-Blue TSC
Team TSC Purple-Magenta Name/Teal-Blue TSC
Team TSC Purple Name/Blue-Teal TSC
Team TSC Teal Name/Teal-Purple-Magenta TSC

While the foil change may seem random, I have seen dupes of many color combos, even the three-color gradients. Depending how specific you want to go, there are maybe dozens of variations on these.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Question about the 1998 UD Collector's Choice hologram variation, with holograms shaped like home plate or like a diamond. Anyone know for certain if it the home plate holograms are just in series 1? Sure looks that way. COMC has many home plate holograms, and even lists the variation in the card title, but every one is series 1, no series 2.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
A few other 2000 Pacific issues were printed with the same firework foil pattern, and all have similar foil variations. Not sure if each one has 9 variations though, especially since some are serial numbered to 99.

2000 Pacific Crown Collection Latinos of the Major Leagues
2000 Pacific Crown Collection Latinos of the Major Leagues Parallel / 99 (not positive about this one, never seen multiple copies of the same player)
2000 Pacific Gold Crown Die Cut
2000 Pacific Revolution
2000 Pacific Revolution Shadow Series / 99
2000 Pacific Revolution Premier Date / 99
2000 Pacific Revolution Red / 63

2000 Revolution has a similar variation. The background is a foil sheet with 2000 printed on it, and various fireworks effects. I started collecting diffrent background patterns when I noticed that they may not be 100% random. I have 9 different background patterns for Troy Glaus, but I did find several instances where the patterns were 100% indentical in terms of placement and orientation. There isn't an easy way to describe them, and they aren't really apparent unless you have a handful of the same card in front of you.

Also, don't forget the 1999 Skybox Soul of the Game (which have been mentioned a long time ago here). Normally, the foil starts red up at the top, but some do exist "upside down", with the blue foil at the top.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Interesting overprint error:

img053.jpg

Grace17

Jul 28, 2016
Not sure if this has ever been addressed as this thread is massive but I went through a ton of stuff recently and found a ton of UV variations. See attached is the typical known Glow in the dark back 1991 topps, however, I found 6 "variations. They are provided with actual stats I compiled based on the amount of the exact card (1991 topps Mark Grace #255 )

(363 total 91 topps Grace cards reviewed)

1. Back: Fluorescent border/Fluor. center(8)
2. Back: Fluor. border/No Fluor. center (251)
3. Back: No Fluor. border/Fluorescent center (4)
4. Back: No Fluor. border/No Fluor. center (97)
5. Back: No Fluor. border/Fluor. center w glowing front red lines (1)
5. Back: No Fluor. border/No. center w glowing front red lines (3)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    317.9 KB · Views: 34

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014
Just went threw some 91 Topps and pulled out a few variations:
Mattingly 10 Hits error in light/dark back
Fletcher, Bush - no code
Ripken, Jones, Leiter - E*F*
Fisk, Stillwell, Geren - A*B* ( later 2 aren't on the junkwaxgem lists)

Members online

Latest posts